2004 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Passat Diesel

2004 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

GLS TDI Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic)

Passat Diesel
By Peter on

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought my 2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI for the size and comfort as well as the great fuel economybut it went downhill from there. I live in an area where it can snow 5 - 10 inches deep overnight. Even with front drive, traction control, and four studded winter tires I had a hard time driving in it. The ground clearence is only 4 inches so I was pushing the deep snow instead of driving over it. The temperature went down to -25 C for over a week and I could not get the car started. When it did start, it took a long time to get warmed up. My local VW dealer said thier garage was full with these cars as people couldn't get them started. This car has left me straded numerous times. I got rid of it and bought a Subaru.

Favorite Features

The great fuel mileage and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The Diesel engine does not like cold weather. Make sure you live near a dealer for service. VW now, finally has made a block heater of sorts after all the complaints with hard starting but at a cost of about $350 Canadian installed.