I will NEVER buy another VW!
By snowylmh on
2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)
Bought my car as a certified used in 2008. Of all the vehicles I've ever owned... this one has left me stranded on the side of the road the most. It doesn't even matter if it's not a major issue, it costs a TON to fix. It cost me $960 to put in a fuel pump! Six days after I gave birth to my son, it left us both stranded on the side of the road when leaving his dr appt due to the ignition coils... a recall that happened years before I bought it certified used-- but they didn't bother to replace it before selling it to me. I have spent far more than this vehicle is worth on the constant repairs. Can't wait to sell it! Never will buy another VW. Specialized everything... total hassle!
Favorite Features
Guess its fun to drive... when I can actually drive it. Which is rare because it's broke down constantly!
Suggested Improvements
No more specialized parts! It's ridiculously expensive to fix which is not a good combination given that they are very prone to breaking down. Even the antifreeze is $24! Seriously? The parts are expensive, they are difficult to work on unless you take it to the stealership and no joke-- every time I walk in there, they want me to put $3000 MORE into the car that has already cost me thousands already plus the 14k I paid for it certified. I hate this car. It's the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. Family car? Ha! Not unless your family likes walkin'.
By mandydj
on 12/17/10 23:51 PM (PST)

Amen. Will NEVER own a VW again either!

By nwfinder
on 06/10/14 13:23 PM (PDT)

If I was single, didn't have a family, wads of cash and wanted a sexy looking car I'd buy a Passat. Unfortunately I don't have time to sit in the dealership repair shop waiting room and therefore drive a not so sexy Toyota.