Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

So far so good
By naessj

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Picked up my new GLX 4-motion Wagon last week. I already have a 2000 Golf and had some early problems (all warranty), so I am 'on guard' this time. BUT, so far everything is great. The gas mileage is less than I would like, but that's the price for the fast lane. Initially I checked out Subarus (the next Outback / Forester) and for the price (got a good deal) I gould not pass up the VW

Solid build quality, great road manners, 4-motion (waiting for rain & snow to try it out for real), fantastic stereo, lots of space, great turning radius

Better gas mileage, need more places to 'put things' up front, light interior hard to keep clean (I knew that ...)

04 GLX Wagon V6
By bonobo

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Only had the car for one week now, but WOW! Got it for my wife (30th birthday gift) and we couldn't be more pleased. Great ride, great features, and that famous VW fit & finish. For a "mommamobile" it doesn't get any better than this, and I find myself envious of her ride! It's simply the most classy, well-refined, and user- friendly wagon for under $40k. Looking forward to many years of happiness in owning this vehicle. We hope the reliabilty is better than what we've been reading about, however. On the upside, it can't be any worse than the horrendous car she previously had, a 1999 Pontiac Grand- Am GT. GM should have paid ME to take delivery of THAT car. Go for the VW wagon, y'all.

Comfy, supportive seats, great steering feel, no discernable torque steer, plenty of space for the average size family, and FIT & FINISH. Onstar is a nice safety feature, too. For a wagon, this is a truly outstanding looking vehicle, and oh yeah: don't forget the FIT & FINISH!!!

Xenon headlights should be an option (or included) at this price point, tilt/telescoping should be power to match the seats, dual-zone cc should be included or optional. These desires, however, are just that - desires. This car is perfectly functional as is, executed beautifully. Kudos to VW!

puny issues
By elwood dinwoody

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Passat Wagon with 4 MOTION- Quiet, powerful, and very comfy.Power seat acting up after 2 weeks, a couple of bubbles in the dash vinyl, and the 'thud' of the downshift into 1st at stops the only complaints wish I didn't have to deal with it; the dealer tells me as I sat in the car to drive it off the lot that they would need to reprogram the computer on first servicing. Now, I can sleep at night.

Monsoon sound system and excellent handling at speed.

Reprogram the bloody transmission.

Love My Passat Wagon!
By mardimike

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Everything about it is great, bought it new in January 2004. My husband pulled a u-turn in it two weeks later (didn't see the oncomining car) which required front right body work. Boy, did he feel stupid! It drives just great, love the "bun warmers", blue lights in dashboard, visability, and comfortable seats. I am a realtor so comfort and ease of ingress and egress are important. Highly recommend it. Our other car is a Saab which is expensive for repairs and has had numerous problems.

Own 2002.5 MY/2003 spec
By Love my 3yr old VW!

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

With 50k of miles my VW is holding up well. No problems except the ECU for the dash needed to be replaced. I love the high quality feel of the interior and driving dynamics. The 17" alloys don't detract from the feel of the ride and look great. The beige interior gets dirty very quick tho so its not recommended for families with young children. The 1.8T with the automatic has tons of turbo lag but I can live with it.

Tiptronic transmission. Love this feature, it gives drivers lots of feedback and shifts smoothly. I can red line the engine and the short gearing helping in city traffic but the engine gets exhausted easily at freeway speeds. 70 mph in 5th gear gets noisy.

Monsoon sound system not great. Rear washer not very effective. narrower door detents and three instead of two. larger glove box. More blunt front fascia, I tapped a post with my front bumper and misaligned the bumper and headlight.