2004 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Very happy with my Passat
By Mladen on 02/14/10 09:39 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I wrote a review back in 2006 - now I see I was unfair to this vehicle... 3 1/2 years later and 35000 miles later I like it even more... It has been a stellar performer and a fun car to have. I am planning on a major service in about 6 months (timing belt) and expect to drive it another 6-7 years. What a jewel...

Do not buy Passat
By Roman on 01/04/10 09:05 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Once warranty was over my Passat started to fall apart. In it's fifth year I spent over 5,000 on service and maintenance. VW service after recent inspection informed me about 2 additional things that need to be done in the nearest future (additional $2,000). I won't buy Volkswagen again and I recommend you to stay away from Volkswagen

Money Sucking Vehicle
By mamak on 10/17/09 08:14 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Loved the car when we first got it. About 2 years in the repair bills started to mount. Oil changes are $50. Multiple recalls. An electrical problem that cost me $1500 (VW supposedly covered $800 in parts, I think they jacked up the invoice then discounted to appease me) and the car is on it's way to the dealership now for its 5th ignition coil. The first four went 3-6 months apart, the car was under warranty but VW would not replace them pro-actively so four times I was stranded and had to get towed. I've owned VWs before, we also have a 1999 Jetta that chugs along just fine, but the Passat is not cost efficient or reliable and will not be replaced with another VW.

still going strong
By Steve on 09/19/09 01:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

It has held up well through the years. It still looks stylish and is more attractive than the new iteration. It is heavy but very solid without rattles. The sport package with a six speed turns it into a sports sedan. No mechanical problems other than normal wear and tear. There are not many of these on the road and I suspect even fewer with a stick shift. The seats have held up well and show very little wear. The radio and cd player are still working well which is something that I couldn't say about my 91 passat. I see no reason why I can't keep this car for 10 more years since I only have 50,000 original miles on it.

W8 Passat Review
By Rob Kerian on 09/09/09 20:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I would only take the time to write a review if a car was exceptionally good or a piece of junk. Well, the Passat W8 is by far the best car I have ever owned. The 8 cylinder engine is silky smooth, as is the 5sp tranny - all wheel drive. I believe the interior build quality and materials is better than a new Lexus I bought for my wife (she picked it out!). I bought it because I refuse to drive a Statement Car. You know the car makes I'm talking about. Admittedly, this was a relatively expensive car new, but it has been a wonderful car that I intend to keep for some time.

Not all its racked up to be.
By ALE on 08/30/09 11:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my car, if it would just keep working!! I have owned 3 VW's. But my 3rd is making me look like a fool. I love the way it drives, it corners like it is on rails. Very comfortable interior, awesome sound system. Other people don't understand why I still have it. I have now been stranded 2 times and have only owned it for 15 months, with 76,ooo miles. This car is well cared for. The coils have failed, CV boots replaced, and now oil cooler failed. I hate to get rid of it, but at this point I could owe a Lexus for what it has cost me to fix this one.

Styled and well built German sedan
By Jorge on 07/23/09 12:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased in 2006 from a private party. I have previously owned a Mercedes 230S, Audi 80 and Volvo 240, V70, S80's and a VW Sirocco. I would consider this a well behaved, fairly high quality, fuel efficient mid-sized sedan. I looked at Camry and Accords before I purchased it. I liked the styling and performance on the VW better, plus the Toyotas and Accords looked "blah", and had little driving personality. No problems in three years of ownership, regular maintenance and two VW recalls serviced at the dealer. Gets 31 MPG+ on a 27 mile highway trip to work. VW is the master of small engines: Hits 100 mph+ effortlessly on a 1.8L. Currently costs $35 to fill the tank. Upgraded tires to Yokohama

Fun, Comfortable, Unreliable
By Robert on 07/17/09 07:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car as a certified Volkswagen. I loved the look and the style. It handle and drove as you would expect a German car. Very peppy and responsive. Shortly after the purchase I started having electrical problems, window's stopped working, censors were going bad. The warranty covered all the work, although the dealerships were not easy to work with. At around 80,000 miles the car broke down on the road. Found out there was a recall on the motor that the dealership didn't notify us about. The whole motor was replaced under warranty because of an oil pump problem. After that the alternator went dead causing three more breakdowns. After many headaches the car is running fine, for now.

veedub all the way
By ash on 07/14/09 19:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My entire family owns Volkswagens. I find them to be amazing cars. The only issue i have with VW is the timing belt and water pump. Other than that, these cars are amazing. I have never driven a more reliable car, or a car more fun. They handle like a dream and the stock sound system is ridiculous.

An Endearing Auto
By creative native on 06/03/09 08:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have lost count on how many VW's I have owned now and am always impressed with what VW has to offer. This GLX wagon is all I anticipated. Excellent ride quality and better than anticipated fuel economy. I always get complimented on the body lines and colors.