Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

I will NEVER buy another VW!
By snowylmh

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought my car as a certified used in 2008. Of all the vehicles I've ever owned... this one has left me stranded on the side of the road the most. It doesn't even matter if it's not a major issue, it costs a TON to fix. It cost me $960 to put in a fuel pump! Six days after I gave birth to my son, it left us both stranded on the side of the road when leaving his dr appt due to the ignition coils... a recall that happened years before I bought it certified used-- but they didn't bother to replace it before selling it to me. I have spent far more than this vehicle is worth on the constant repairs. Can't wait to sell it! Never will buy another VW. Specialized everything... total hassle!

Guess its fun to drive... when I can actually drive it. Which is rare because it's broke down constantly!

No more specialized parts! It's ridiculously expensive to fix which is not a good combination given that they are very prone to breaking down. Even the antifreeze is $24! Seriously? The parts are expensive, they are difficult to work on unless you take it to the stealership and no joke-- every time I walk in there, they want me to put $3000 MORE into the car that has already cost me thousands already plus the 14k I paid for it certified. I hate this car. It's the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. Family car? Ha! Not unless your family likes walkin'.

Fooled Three Times
By Boogalosi

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a VW Scirocco back in the early 90s and it was an unbelievable piece of $#%@. Literally, every three months it had to go in the shop. Several years later I thought I would give VW another chance and bought a Jetta. I thought the Scirocco was a piece of $#$%. This car made the Scirocco look reliable. I told myself I would never buy VW again. Well my daughter last year kept bugging and bugging me to buy her a Passat. Jeeze, I didn't think it was possible but this car was worse than my first two VWs. I've only owned three VWs in my life and they were ALL terrible. Please take my advice...DO NOT BUY ONE!

It becomes a great conversation piece when I tell people about how crappy VWs are.

These cars should come with the phone numbers of all your local scrap yards.

Sweet Ride
By Ethan

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought our wagon with about 24k on it, it now has 56k and we've had 32k problem free miles. We were looking to replace it just to get something newer but realized that was pretty unnecessary. Nothing except a newer Passat wagon has the same space with the same features. It's not a performance machine but does nicely on the freeway and twisty roads.

Ride comfort, space, looks.

Nothing really comes to mind.

Piece of junk!
By just me

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

2004 Volkswagon Passat. Bought used at dealership. Oil blew, coolant blew, destroyed the thermostat. Dealership could not tell me why. They were clueless. Sounds to me like the oil sludge problem but won't openly admit it. Cost 2000 grand to fix. headlights went out. dealership won't change them without charging me 150 becuz they claim you have to pull off the bumper. I will never again buy a Volkswagen!

Nothing

Don't Buy One
By mugsy

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Too many problems---prone to engine failure& electrical problems--I had to replace 2 front axels all 4 coil packs (got stranded twice after the warrenty expired). Complained to VW. They sent me a recall on coil Packs 2 years later. I had thrown out receipts & already gotten rid of car because I didn't know what was going to go bad next. Repair bills are very costly at the dealership. VW is a car I will never buy again. I now own a Nissan Rogue.

liked the interior, handled nice

company warranty should be longer because of all the problems that occur after the 3 year 36,000 mile. I found out about the coil Pack problem from my personal mechanic--after I got stranded. I wrote VW & My dealer & never got a reply till the recall came 2 yrs. later. Inform buyers immediatly.