Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 353 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Despised VW Passat
By despisedvw

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My car a VW Passat, its the worst experience I've ever made. Had 36K miles when I brought it after 42k the oil was mixing with G12 fluid causing it to over heat. Fix thanx to warranty $4000. Every year Im replacing CV Joints. any little thing to fix or change cost an arm and a leg...............I hate hate VW

Most problematic VW I've owned
By waterwish

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my 4th VW. I had two '87 Jettas (one was replaced after having been totaled), and a 1999 Passat wagon that I bought used. The '99 was the BEST, lowest maintenance car that I have ever owned. I bought the 2004 Passat Wagon because they were offering 0% interest. I thought I was doing right to get a brand new car for a lower payment. I regret it now. In 2010, I spent close to $3,000 on this car for crazy repairs, along with other repairs that were under warranty or recalls, but still required the inconvenience of taking it in. Right now it is in the shop again to the tune of $1,000. I've filed a claim with VW Customer Care. It's a lemon!

Comfort, controls, ride, mileage is pretty good for a car its size.

The engineering stinks on these post-2000 VWs. Everything is tied to the onboard computer and is hidden away so deeply that the labor is ridiculous. I was quoted over $500 to get rid of a short that was causing my turn signal tick-tick noise to pop up randomly! I can't replace my own headlamp bulbs like I could on the '99. Everything seems to be designed to earn the dealer the most money for repairs. It's ridiculous to be charged $160 for a gas cap! And the inconvenience of taking it in! For a headlamp replacement? Who do these engineers think they are?

Please do not make a mistake of buying a VW
By mandydj

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Worst car experience ever. Bought a 2004 passat wagon 1/1/2010. Had 60K miles. Every month or two, I had to put it in the shop. Brakes, belts, engine coils, thermostat, both front axels, airflow sensor, a/c unit, etc... all had to be replaced over the 10 months I owned it. Thank goodness I was able to get rid of it before the other well known things go wrong. I got rid of it at 74K miles... heard about the turbos in these cars going out, timing belt, etc.... never again.

When a car is not reliable and is always having issues, it makes the rest of the car not enjoyable

Just dont buy a VW.... there is no improvements.

I will NEVER buy another VW!
By snowylmh

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought my car as a certified used in 2008.
Of all the vehicles I've ever owned... this one has left me stranded on the side of the road the most.
It doesn't even matter if it's not a major issue, it costs a TON to fix.
It cost me $960 to put in a fuel pump!
Six days after I gave birth to my son, it left us both stranded on the side of the road when leaving his dr appt due to the ignition coils... a recall that happened years before I bought it certified used-- but they didn't bother to replace it before selling it to me.
I have spent far more than this vehicle is worth on the constant repairs.
Can't wait to sell it!
Never will buy another VW.
Specialized everything... total hassle!

Guess its fun to drive... when I can actually drive it. Which is rare because it's broke down constantly!

No more specialized parts! It's ridiculously expensive to fix which is not a good combination given that they are very prone to breaking down. Even the antifreeze is $24! Seriously? The parts are expensive, they are difficult to work on unless you take it to the stealership and no joke-- every time I walk in there, they want me to put $3000 MORE into the car that has already cost me thousands already plus the 14k I paid for it certified. I hate this car. It's the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. Family car? Ha! Not unless your family likes walkin'.

Fooled Three Times
By Boogalosi

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a VW Scirocco back in the early 90s and it was an unbelievable piece of $#%@. Literally, every three months it had to go in the shop. Several years later I thought I would give VW another chance and bought a Jetta. I thought the Scirocco was a piece of $#$%. This car made the Scirocco look reliable. I told myself I would never buy VW again. Well my daughter last year kept bugging and bugging me to buy her a Passat. Jeeze, I didn't think it was possible but this car was worse than my first two VWs. I've only owned three VWs in my life and they were ALL terrible. Please take my advice...DO NOT BUY ONE!

It becomes a great conversation piece when I tell people about how crappy VWs are.

These cars should come with the phone numbers of all your local scrap yards.