2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Falling Apart
By Lydia Crane on 08/09/06 09:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have enjoyed owning this vehicle yet a local auto repairman told be to beware when I hit 30,000 miles. I am now at 32,000 miles and things are falling apart. The windows won't stay up and rain gets in the car. Also, my horn sounds for no reason, which is embarrassing. The pick up is markedly delayed when the air-conditioning is on. I am looking for a new car.

Overall, a Great Pick
By cknudsen on 07/19/06 13:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car as an economical AWD car with great features. My only disappointment with it has been the gas poor mileage. Over two years the best mileage that I have gotten has been 24.5 mpg and the worst was 20 mpg and I am averaging around 22-23. Since I traded in my previous car in hopes of the 28 mpg on the sticker, this is a disappointment. It has great pickup for a 4-cylinder vehicle. The interior is very nice with comfortable seats. This car has only been in the shop for routine service (24,000 miles and counting). Note: some places (Walmart, etc.) will not do oil changes on this car.

Test Drive Carefully and Completely
By FastFred on 10/22/05 23:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've driven the VW for one year and I am unhappy with it. The dashboard instruments cannot be seen in the daylight! AC display panel is a joke, dark and almost illegible. The Monsoon radio on AM cannot be tuned in clearly. The dealer says: That's typical of VW radios! My car's gas mileage is quite low for a V6. I am averaging 13-15 mpg around town, 20-23 mpg on thehighway. Overall, consider a Honda or a Toyota for the same or less money.

Passat Wagen 1.8T
By Ken Krigbaum on 09/08/05 23:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

To be fair, I have not had the Passat that long (2 months). It currently has 7,600 miles, mostly highway miles. So far, I have been impressed. I generally trade cars every year, and I usually buy Toyotas. I still don't think anyone matches Toyota for quality, value, reliability, etc., which begs the question, "Why a VW?" Well, to put it simply, it's "the ride." It is a driver's car at a great price. To be sure, this is a touring car, and that is where it shines. At 80+mph, it's "at home" getting 40 mpg or better. In the city, its performance is a bit lurchy. In traffic, the turbo isn't a great match.

Great car
By jmg on 08/12/05 14:18 PM (PDT)

A year and 7,500 miles after buying the car, it has been to the shop once -- for the scheduled oil change and service. Couldn't ask for more from a family wagon. It handles the streets of Manhattan just as nicely as the interstate. And lots of room for all our stuff.

The Best Car Ever Built
By larry golin on 06/28/05 11:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Most people who drive with me think the car is a V8 it has tremendous pickup, the seats are perfect for long distance driving with correct lumbar support and height adjustment. The car is equipped with all kinds of little niceties that others do not have. Such as lift away windshield wipers, stickless front hood holds, both front window express up and down, outside control of windows and moonroof with key window control without the key turned on, on board computer with total MPG and momentary MPG, total miles left on tank, Long term MPG and short term MPG etc. etc. It has both manual and auto shift which I like to brake the engine or going on a twisty turney road.

Bad News
By keng on 12/10/04 20:44 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Just brought the new car and I got problems. On the first day, the transmission control module went. As it turns out, the TCM failure was caused by a water leak from the pollen filter, the insulation under the carpet was still wet. My recommendation is to stay far away from this vehicle.

What's with the side chrome moldings
By Go2guy on 11/09/04 00:54 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Looked and drove the Highlander Limited, this Passat, and a Camry XLE. This Passat impressed us the most. I just bought the car and when I went to pick up the new car. It turns out both of the passenger side doors had badly damaged chrome strips. I refused to take the car until they were replaced. The manager said the problem with the chrome strips happens in about one in 20 Passat Wagons...he said the manufacture published a bulletin warning dealers about the problem. I'm worried the car might have structural damage and the dealer is pulling my leg. Does anybody out there know anything about this problem? I pick up the car in two days. Sure would like to hear about the door issue.

new owner(4months)
By johnwouters on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

selected this model for price,style and fuel economy 4cylinder. after 2weeks you get a letter notifying you of the 4cyl engines problems with oil clogging. whats good is you are covered by and 8yr unlimited mileage transferrable warranty for this problem. whats bad is the need to use synthetic oil at scheduled oil changes (double the price) and the need to maintain documentation of all services should this problem arise. this was a disappointment for me becuase i think a 4cylinder engine should provide the lowest maintenance costs. i am averaging 24 mpg over 5000 miles. the car so far has been enjoyable, but i am coming off an acura tl

So far so good
By naessj on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Picked up my new GLX 4-motion Wagon last week. I already have a 2000 Golf and had some early problems (all warranty), so I am 'on guard' this time. BUT, so far everything is great. The gas mileage is less than I would like, but that's the price for the fast lane. Initially I checked out Subarus (the next Outback / Forester) and for the price (got a good deal) I gould not pass up the VW