2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Best Car I've Ever Driven
By BassDSSO on 11/09/04 00:55 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I admit that I am a VW fan and after anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Passat TDI, I can positively confirm that I still am a VW fan. I absolutely love this car, it handles great, the power is amazing (I live in Duluth, MN with lots of hills and climbing the hills is no problem at all), and the performance in mileage has been wonderful (32mpg in city, 42mpg highway). The cabin is very comfortable and the seats are made for long drives with lots of support. Plus the stereo system is totally awesome!

A blend of comfort, performance, economy
By CHCHRISTI on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

A friend raved about his Jetta TDI, and I drove it and was impressed. At first I thought the Passat might be more car than I needed, but I love the way it performs and it exudes engineering savvy. Lots of details have been carefully thought through.The selectronic transmission allows it to be shifted like a standard or driven as conventional automatic. Way cool! The moon roof is a nice feature and the trunk space is phenomenal. I've owned the car for two months and am still discovering nice features. So far I can recommend only two changes: lighted switches on the visor mounted progammable remote control buttons so you can see them at night .

Passat Diesel wagon 2004
By sandy P. on 09/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

GREAT car, avg 42mpg hwy, 35-36mpg city. Fun to drive, lots of poweer. The only thing I don't like is it doesn't have power seats. This is my first VW and it won't be the last.

Quite Happy with my TDI
By atltdi on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I've had my TDI Wagon since May. I previously had a 2001.5 1.8T 5 speed. Although I loved the efficiency of the engine of my old car,the low end torque of the 1.8T was simply not strong enough to handle extreme driveways and hills in and around Atlanta. The diesel is a completely different story altogether. It comes off of the line quickly...so much so that the tires will squeal if punched too quickly.... The hills and steep driveways are no longer a problem from standing stops. Atl to DC on one tank of fuel. I love it.

So far, so good.
By cosmo2 on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This VW feels and drives differently than the nine other VW/Audi models I have owned. This rig almost feels American-made during routine driving. I really haven't decided if this is a good or a bad thing. But I have decided that this is a very good automobile. I was initially put off by the diesel engine and automatic transmission. (I've driven manuals for 43 years.) The dealer didn't have an manual GL in stock, so I test drove a 1.8T with Tip. No thanks. Felt like just another good car handicapped by a slush box. Then I tried the TDI. This engine/transmission combination is a good match.

Savin Money
By duckster1 on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The car has beena unique experience, I laugh every time I fill it up thinking it gets about the same mileage as a motorcycle without getting wet or cold. Folks ask me all the time about how I like it and so far it's VW's best kept secret. The noise while idling is different as is the powerband but both get accustomed to very quickly. I would recommend this car before any Hybrid as the safety and simplicity are second to none.

Savin Money
By Savin Money on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Very impressive car!
By HAZER on 07/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Have 2100 miles on it. Excellent low end torque/power--it glides effortlessly over mountain passes. Great mileage. Avg so far 41 mpg hwy @ 80 mph w/air on. Car handles really well. Passengers don't believe it is only a $27,000 car. So far, I'm convinced you would have a hard time finding a better combination of comfort, power, class and economy in the under 30k price range. If the reliability is good, this will be a tough car to beat.

bought gls tdi one month ago
By blue moose on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

In the one month that I have been driving my new TDI. I have been getting 3o miles to the gallon driving around town. The car is fun to drive, quick and responsive. I can't wait till I can get it on the road for a trip.

money's worth
By jim roy on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

i am a previous vw owner, 01 jetta diesel, auto trans.. this is my 5th vw. i wanted a passat as soon as i read they were coming out with the diesel. the car is all i had expected & more, very comfortable, quick, economical 40.7 mpg @ average speed of 74 mph on the interstate. wife loves it!!!!!