Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Comfortable Ride
By CeCe

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I absolutely love this car!!! I had a '96 Mustang before this purchase for 8 years and it only took me 2 days to become spoiled from my '05 Passat. The gas mileage is great. And actually I travel 50 miles to work one way and I average more than 38 miles to the gallon. It's more like 40.5, and I'm no pokey driver. I've only had it for a short while, but I predict I will love it always!

Colorful dash and sound system

I would get the powered seat controls.

I've lost faith
By Peter

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this car in July of 2004. The car was great until the winter came and it got cold. When it got below -20 C the car would not start. VW had such confidence it would start at this and colder temperatures that at the time it did not make a block heater for the car. Big mistake. The car was unreliable and has left me stranded several days in a row when it was cold and would not start. I since got rid of it and bought a Subaru. I will never buy a diesel car again in an area where it gets below - 20 C. This car is for only 3 seasons and not four. I have since read that VW has had numerous complaints about cold temperature starting problems.There now is a recall in effect for the fuel pump.

Fuel mileage is great and it is very comfortable.

Make this car more reliable for cold temps. The heating system takes a long time to get warm when cold as the diesel engine takes a long time to get warm.

Passat Diesel
By Peter

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought my 2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI for the size and comfort as well as the great fuel economybut it went downhill from there. I live in an area where it can snow 5 - 10 inches deep overnight. Even with front drive, traction control, and four studded winter tires I had a hard time driving in it. The ground clearence is only 4 inches so I was pushing the deep snow instead of driving over it. The temperature went down to -25 C for over a week and I could not get the car started. When it did start, it took a long time to get warmed up. My local VW dealer said thier garage was full with these cars as people couldn't get them started. This car has left me straded numerous times. I got rid of it and bought a Subaru.

The great fuel mileage and comfort.

The Diesel engine does not like cold weather. Make sure you live near a dealer for service. VW now, finally has made a block heater of sorts after all the complaints with hard starting but at a cost of about $350 Canadian installed.

Great Car
By Luke

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I love the car! First time I have ever bought a diesel engine or German car. Love the mileage I am getting, well over 30 mpg and that includes around town driving. The car handles very well, tight steering, monsoon sound system is awesome. No problems so far with diesel in cold weather. Diesel engine is no louder than a regular gas engine.

Mileage is great! I bought the car because I knew it would get great mileage, but did not expect the high quality engineering along with it. The German engineering is something that I don't experieince in my Chevy Blazer or Ford Explorer.

I would like more storage up front like between the driver seat and front passenger or under the front seats. I barely have enough room for my sunglasses.

Cant beat it for the price
By bruynje

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Buying the diesel was the best thing that i could do. I have a dodge ram with a Hemi with $ 800 per month fuel bills. now i spend about 200 USd per month. The car is for my wife but its really the only vehicle we use. m consistant fuel miles are averageing 32-33 MPG city and highway. at 85 mph i get about 32 mpg. If you keep it to 75-78 mpg you will get 38-39 mpg with the AC running. The engine noise is strong in the first 2000 miles but then it really smoothens out. Diesels are meant to be driven, so if you keep it in the garage, buy a gas engine. There is a big of a turbo lag below 1500 RPM but once you pass the lag the power is great.

good sound system, sunroof is great, heated seats are the bet, lots of room

xm radio would be nice, offer a 5 speed on the diesel, have a nicer design for the station wagon, i dont like the cruise control.... you have to hold the up or down button until you get to the speed. The Cd is poor and cousing bad fuel mles at higher speeds