2004 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
LOVE IT FOR THREE YEARS
By galiti on 10/04/11 21:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Excellent car for one or five passengers! Quiet, comfortable, reliable and safe. Good traction.

Despised VW Passat
By despisedvw on 07/07/11 17:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My car a VW Passat, its the worst experience I've ever made. Had 36K miles when I brought it after 42k the oil was mixing with G12 fluid causing it to over heat. Fix thanx to warranty $4000. Every year Im replacing CV Joints. any little thing to fix or change cost an arm and a leg...............I hate hate VW

Most problematic VW I've owned
By waterwish on 02/11/11 08:11 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my 4th VW. I had two '87 Jettas (one was replaced after having been totaled), and a 1999 Passat wagon that I bought used. The '99 was the BEST, lowest maintenance car that I have ever owned. I bought the 2004 Passat Wagon because they were offering 0% interest. I thought I was doing right to get a brand new car for a lower payment. I regret it now. In 2010, I spent close to $3,000 on this car for crazy repairs, along with other repairs that were under warranty or recalls, but still required the inconvenience of taking it in. Right now it is in the shop again to the tune of $1,000. I've filed a claim with VW Customer Care. It's a lemon!

Please do not make a mistake of buying a VW
By mandydj on 12/18/10 00:01 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Worst car experience ever. Bought a 2004 passat wagon 1/1/2010. Had 60K miles. Every month or two, I had to put it in the shop. Brakes, belts, engine coils, thermostat, both front axels, airflow sensor, a/c unit, etc... all had to be replaced over the 10 months I owned it. Thank goodness I was able to get rid of it before the other well known things go wrong. I got rid of it at 74K miles... heard about the turbos in these cars going out, timing belt, etc.... never again.

I will NEVER buy another VW!
By snowylmh on 12/09/10 14:28 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought my car as a certified used in 2008. Of all the vehicles I've ever owned... this one has left me stranded on the side of the road the most. It doesn't even matter if it's not a major issue, it costs a TON to fix. It cost me $960 to put in a fuel pump! Six days after I gave birth to my son, it left us both stranded on the side of the road when leaving his dr appt due to the ignition coils... a recall that happened years before I bought it certified used-- but they didn't bother to replace it before selling it to me. I have spent far more than this vehicle is worth on the constant repairs. Can't wait to sell it! Never will buy another VW. Specialized everything... total hassle!

Fooled Three Times
By Boogalosi on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a VW Scirocco back in the early 90s and it was an unbelievable piece of $#%@. Literally, every three months it had to go in the shop. Several years later I thought I would give VW another chance and bought a Jetta. I thought the Scirocco was a piece of $#$%. This car made the Scirocco look reliable. I told myself I would never buy VW again. Well my daughter last year kept bugging and bugging me to buy her a Passat. Jeeze, I didn't think it was possible but this car was worse than my first two VWs. I've only owned three VWs in my life and they were ALL terrible. Please take my advice...DO NOT BUY ONE!

Sweet Ride
By Ethan on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought our wagon with about 24k on it, it now has 56k and we've had 32k problem free miles. We were looking to replace it just to get something newer but realized that was pretty unnecessary. Nothing except a newer Passat wagon has the same space with the same features. It's not a performance machine but does nicely on the freeway and twisty roads.

Piece of junk!
By just me on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

2004 Volkswagon Passat. Bought used at dealership. Oil blew, coolant blew, destroyed the thermostat. Dealership could not tell me why. They were clueless. Sounds to me like the oil sludge problem but won't openly admit it. Cost 2000 grand to fix. headlights went out. dealership won't change them without charging me 150 becuz they claim you have to pull off the bumper. I will never again buy a Volkswagen!

Don't Buy One
By mugsy on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Too many problems---prone to engine failure& electrical problems--I had to replace 2 front axels all 4 coil packs (got stranded twice after the warrenty expired). Complained to VW. They sent me a recall on coil Packs 2 years later. I had thrown out receipts & already gotten rid of car because I didn't know what was going to go bad next. Repair bills are very costly at the dealership. VW is a car I will never buy again. I now own a Nissan Rogue.

passat hater
By passat hater on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I haven't even had this car for a year and I hate it! bought it used and I was so happy, Low mileage (47,000) and great looking but it wasn't long before the check engine light came on. Got that fixed now its on again. The enterior is peeling and the knobs are falling off. They must have been on a strict budget building this one. Just looking forward to the day I can trade it in for a toyota!!! And the Premium gas and Oil stinks too.