Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

We're never ever ever getting back together
By Terri

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

My father passed in 2009 and the car was given to me with 17,000 miles on it. The car has always been garaged.
I cannot drive the car now and it only has 53000 miles on it (12/2015) When I got the car I took it to Volkswagen and had a costly 3000 bill.

Now the boots are gone
Air conditioning is shot
Catalytic converter went out
power steering went out
Can only use cruise control if head lights are in the bright position The cruise goes out if I make a right turn.

Get oil change every twice a year, had power steering fluid changed 2 years ago

Had to get
new radiator
oil leaks
all new hoses, there was a lot more but I don't have my records available at the moment

I cant even remember all of it

The mileage is terrible. Between 14 and 16 miles per gallon Had all tune ups

I WOULD NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGEN AGAIN

Would love to sell the good parts

Great roadworthy wagon
By nancy wiggins

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Love the handling& has enough power to make mountain trips a breeze. Replacement parts are too expensive for me. Low height is easy entry & a great feature but front bumper & oil pan (replaced 4 times-speed bumps)are too low. Bought it to serve as a company car to haul executives as well as a personal car. Works well on both counts.Got the German made luxury edition and have enjoyed the features. The emissions system is a problem.

Great longevity
By Lc

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have the 2004 model. After 11 years and a great ( indy VW) mechanic and regular maint. and oil changes, I've had minimal costly repairs.
Maybe, I'm in the minority but I'm holding on to it, with just 115,000. My last VW went past 200,000.

Please do not make a mistake of buying a VW
By mandydj

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Worst car experience ever. Bought a 2004 passat wagon 1/1/2010. Had 60K miles. Every month or two, I had to put it in the shop. Brakes, belts, engine coils, thermostat, both front axels, airflow sensor, a/c unit, etc... all had to be replaced over the 10 months I owned it. Thank goodness I was able to get rid of it before the other well known things go wrong. I got rid of it at 74K miles... heard about the turbos in these cars going out, timing belt, etc.... never again.

When a car is not reliable and is always having issues, it makes the rest of the car not enjoyable

Just dont buy a VW.... there is no improvements.

I will NEVER buy another VW!
By snowylmh

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought my car as a certified used in 2008.
Of all the vehicles I've ever owned... this one has left me stranded on the side of the road the most.
It doesn't even matter if it's not a major issue, it costs a TON to fix.
It cost me $960 to put in a fuel pump!
Six days after I gave birth to my son, it left us both stranded on the side of the road when leaving his dr appt due to the ignition coils... a recall that happened years before I bought it certified used-- but they didn't bother to replace it before selling it to me.
I have spent far more than this vehicle is worth on the constant repairs.
Can't wait to sell it!
Never will buy another VW.
Specialized everything... total hassle!

Guess its fun to drive... when I can actually drive it. Which is rare because it's broke down constantly!

No more specialized parts! It's ridiculously expensive to fix which is not a good combination given that they are very prone to breaking down. Even the antifreeze is $24! Seriously? The parts are expensive, they are difficult to work on unless you take it to the stealership and no joke-- every time I walk in there, they want me to put $3000 MORE into the car that has already cost me thousands already plus the 14k I paid for it certified. I hate this car. It's the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. Family car? Ha! Not unless your family likes walkin'.