Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Please do not make a mistake of buying a VW
By mandydj

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Worst car experience ever. Bought a 2004 passat wagon 1/1/2010. Had 60K miles. Every month or two, I had to put it in the shop. Brakes, belts, engine coils, thermostat, both front axels, airflow sensor, a/c unit, etc... all had to be replaced over the 10 months I owned it. Thank goodness I was able to get rid of it before the other well known things go wrong. I got rid of it at 74K miles... heard about the turbos in these cars going out, timing belt, etc.... never again.

Favorite Features

When a car is not reliable and is always having issues, it makes the rest of the car not enjoyable

Suggested Improvements

Just dont buy a VW.... there is no improvements.

I will NEVER buy another VW!
By snowylmh

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought my car as a certified used in 2008. Of all the vehicles I've ever owned... this one has left me stranded on the side of the road the most. It doesn't even matter if it's not a major issue, it costs a TON to fix. It cost me $960 to put in a fuel pump! Six days after I gave birth to my son, it left us both stranded on the side of the road when leaving his dr appt due to the ignition coils... a recall that happened years before I bought it certified used-- but they didn't bother to replace it before selling it to me. I have spent far more than this vehicle is worth on the constant repairs. Can't wait to sell it! Never will buy another VW. Specialized everything... total hassle!

Favorite Features

Guess its fun to drive... when I can actually drive it. Which is rare because it's broke down constantly!

Suggested Improvements

No more specialized parts! It's ridiculously expensive to fix which is not a good combination given that they are very prone to breaking down. Even the antifreeze is $24! Seriously? The parts are expensive, they are difficult to work on unless you take it to the stealership and no joke-- every time I walk in there, they want me to put $3000 MORE into the car that has already cost me thousands already plus the 14k I paid for it certified. I hate this car. It's the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. Family car? Ha! Not unless your family likes walkin'.

Fooled Three Times
By Boogalosi

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a VW Scirocco back in the early 90s and it was an unbelievable piece of $#%@. Literally, every three months it had to go in the shop. Several years later I thought I would give VW another chance and bought a Jetta. I thought the Scirocco was a piece of $#$%. This car made the Scirocco look reliable. I told myself I would never buy VW again. Well my daughter last year kept bugging and bugging me to buy her a Passat. Jeeze, I didn't think it was possible but this car was worse than my first two VWs. I've only owned three VWs in my life and they were ALL terrible. Please take my advice...DO NOT BUY ONE!

Favorite Features

It becomes a great conversation piece when I tell people about how crappy VWs are.

Suggested Improvements

These cars should come with the phone numbers of all your local scrap yards.

Sweet Ride
By Ethan

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought our wagon with about 24k on it, it now has 56k and we've had 32k problem free miles. We were looking to replace it just to get something newer but realized that was pretty unnecessary. Nothing except a newer Passat wagon has the same space with the same features. It's not a performance machine but does nicely on the freeway and twisty roads.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort, space, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really comes to mind.

Great Wagon
By Albert W.

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car new in 2004. It has served our needs very well. We have taken it on many long trips comfortably where we were able to get over 30 mpg on the highway traveling between 70 and 80 mph. The interior is very well appointed and durable. The heated seats are great. There have been no major mechanical issues, now at 55,000 miles, the car looks and rides like new. Handling is far superior to Toyota. It is very similar in ride to my BMW. Highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Handling, Gas mileage, interior, wagon configuration

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioning could be more powerful