2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Please do not make a mistake of buying a VW
By mandydj on 12/18/10 00:01 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Worst car experience ever. Bought a 2004 passat wagon 1/1/2010. Had 60K miles. Every month or two, I had to put it in the shop. Brakes, belts, engine coils, thermostat, both front axels, airflow sensor, a/c unit, etc... all had to be replaced over the 10 months I owned it. Thank goodness I was able to get rid of it before the other well known things go wrong. I got rid of it at 74K miles... heard about the turbos in these cars going out, timing belt, etc.... never again.

I will NEVER buy another VW!
By snowylmh on 12/09/10 14:28 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought my car as a certified used in 2008. Of all the vehicles I've ever owned... this one has left me stranded on the side of the road the most. It doesn't even matter if it's not a major issue, it costs a TON to fix. It cost me $960 to put in a fuel pump! Six days after I gave birth to my son, it left us both stranded on the side of the road when leaving his dr appt due to the ignition coils... a recall that happened years before I bought it certified used-- but they didn't bother to replace it before selling it to me. I have spent far more than this vehicle is worth on the constant repairs. Can't wait to sell it! Never will buy another VW. Specialized everything... total hassle!

Fooled Three Times
By Boogalosi on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a VW Scirocco back in the early 90s and it was an unbelievable piece of $#%@. Literally, every three months it had to go in the shop. Several years later I thought I would give VW another chance and bought a Jetta. I thought the Scirocco was a piece of $#$%. This car made the Scirocco look reliable. I told myself I would never buy VW again. Well my daughter last year kept bugging and bugging me to buy her a Passat. Jeeze, I didn't think it was possible but this car was worse than my first two VWs. I've only owned three VWs in my life and they were ALL terrible. Please take my advice...DO NOT BUY ONE!

Sweet Ride
By Ethan on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought our wagon with about 24k on it, it now has 56k and we've had 32k problem free miles. We were looking to replace it just to get something newer but realized that was pretty unnecessary. Nothing except a newer Passat wagon has the same space with the same features. It's not a performance machine but does nicely on the freeway and twisty roads.

Great Wagon
By Albert W. on 07/01/10 09:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car new in 2004. It has served our needs very well. We have taken it on many long trips comfortably where we were able to get over 30 mpg on the highway traveling between 70 and 80 mph. The interior is very well appointed and durable. The heated seats are great. There have been no major mechanical issues, now at 55,000 miles, the car looks and rides like new. Handling is far superior to Toyota. It is very similar in ride to my BMW. Highly recommend.

Fast, Comfortable & Useful
By Bob Swain on 06/19/10 13:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Purchased new. Not driven hard except for an Audi Quattro Club weekend at Road America where it held its own at 110 mph plus. Several long trips were very comfortable. A very useful hauler of all kinds of stuff. Sound system: Excellent & I have lots of cassettes and CDs to play. I prefer the front end styling to the later chrome; understated, not glitzy. The engine is wonderful: strong, powerful, smooth and gets remarkably good mileage for an eight; 25 mpg plus at 65-70 mph. Major complaint: Car delivered with OnStar and salesman knew it was important. Two years later (and three years short of the new car warranty) VW canceled the service. VW's response to my complaint. Too bad.

Money Sucking Vehicle
By mamak on 10/17/09 08:14 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Loved the car when we first got it. About 2 years in the repair bills started to mount. Oil changes are $50. Multiple recalls. An electrical problem that cost me $1500 (VW supposedly covered $800 in parts, I think they jacked up the invoice then discounted to appease me) and the car is on it's way to the dealership now for its 5th ignition coil. The first four went 3-6 months apart, the car was under warranty but VW would not replace them pro-actively so four times I was stranded and had to get towed. I've owned VWs before, we also have a 1999 Jetta that chugs along just fine, but the Passat is not cost efficient or reliable and will not be replaced with another VW.

An Endearing Auto
By creative native on 06/03/09 08:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have lost count on how many VW's I have owned now and am always impressed with what VW has to offer. This GLX wagon is all I anticipated. Excellent ride quality and better than anticipated fuel economy. I always get complimented on the body lines and colors.

Piece of junk
By susan on 03/07/09 08:18 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the absolute biggest piece of junk we have ever owned. Car broke down on the highway at 70K, engine needed to be rebuilt ( all oil changes up to date ) The interior is falling apart; slats for heat, all outlets to charge cell phones are blown, console between seats never shuts. Just got the car back yesterday and it was dead again by the time I went to pick my daughter up at school. NEVER will buy another VW - I am going to send them all of my bills so they can see what a nightmare this has been. Selling the car - just bought a FORD

Still satisfied after 4 years
By JAC on 01/31/09 13:11 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We purchased our wagon new about 4.5 years ago. We have been very satisfied with it. It has run well the entire time and the only time there was a problem that was not a recall was when we got bad gas, which isn't the car's fault! It's been driven 1/2 way across the country a couple of times and the gas mileage is pretty ok, averaging 30+ MPG on the highway.