Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Most problematic VW I've owned
By waterwish

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my 4th VW. I had two '87 Jettas (one was replaced after having been totaled), and a 1999 Passat wagon that I bought used. The '99 was the BEST, lowest maintenance car that I have ever owned. I bought the 2004 Passat Wagon because they were offering 0% interest. I thought I was doing right to get a brand new car for a lower payment. I regret it now. In 2010, I spent close to $3,000 on this car for crazy repairs, along with other repairs that were under warranty or recalls, but still required the inconvenience of taking it in. Right now it is in the shop again to the tune of $1,000. I've filed a claim with VW Customer Care. It's a lemon!

Comfort, controls, ride, mileage is pretty good for a car its size.

The engineering stinks on these post-2000 VWs. Everything is tied to the onboard computer and is hidden away so deeply that the labor is ridiculous. I was quoted over $500 to get rid of a short that was causing my turn signal tick-tick noise to pop up randomly! I can't replace my own headlamp bulbs like I could on the '99. Everything seems to be designed to earn the dealer the most money for repairs. It's ridiculous to be charged $160 for a gas cap! And the inconvenience of taking it in! For a headlamp replacement? Who do these engineers think they are?

VW Stinks!
By tarfoot

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The car seems to be nice at first when you get it but after a while everything needs to be fixed on it. Even the oil change on it is $90. Its fairly new and i have put over 10,000 in repairs into it. Whatever you do DO NOT BUY A VW!!!!!! I also no people who have sold theirs for better cars since they had to go to the dealer every other week. Just to replace the air filter which is custom ordered it 75 you cant by the filter at walmart. I will never own a VW again and i encourage all of you not to even look at one. They might get excellent gas mileage but the money youll save you will spend fixing it. Then all the dealers want to run diagnostics every time which is 75. DONT BUY A VW!!

None

Everything needs to be improved. They need to make everything on the car a better quality at a cheaper price

Yeah! Volkswagen for the TDI Turbo Wagon
By Gwen Frangias

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is probably my all time favorite vehicle. It is fun to drive, a real winner at the fuel pump, and it has all the cargo space (and more) of an SUV without the bulk. You can hardly tell that it is a diesel, there's no odor, no noise, and as much pep as anyone would need. This car is a huge improvement over our only other diesel, a Mercedes back in the early 90's.

It would be hard to choose one, but cargo area and fuel economy would rank right up there at the top.

As previously stated, it's my all time favorite vehicle for the purpose it's intended. What more could I want?

Comfort, Torque, Fuel Economy WOW!
By Malinois

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I was looking for a vehicle that was: 1. comfortable 2. had the cargo and passenger space of my SUV (2001 Nissan Pathfinder) 3. wasn't anemic when it came to acceleration 4. had decent fuel economy. I found all of that and more in this VW Passat TDI. I typically get 29 mpg city and 38-40 mpg highway. With a little technique called venting, I can exceed 600 highway miles between fill ups. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that has not disappointed me in some way. Now if VW could just make an all wheel drive version..., the 247 ft.lbs. of torque could probably handle 4-motion.

The comfort, torque, and fuel economy.

4-motion please!

The Perfect Car!
By Don

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

After 1 Year of heavy driving I now believe I have the best car I have ever owned. Great fit and finish, great fuel economy, quiet and powerful. I researched this car using Edmunds and the reviews sold me. However, I wanted to wait a year and 30,000 miles to rate my experience with the car. Reviews that complain about it being underpowered and expensive to maintain must be mistaken. This car drives like the day I bought it: and I live in the hottest part of the South. 40 MPG around town w/AC on Max! 48 Hiway! 500+ miles on a tank of fuel. Finding diesel no problem in SouthEast. Won't trade this puppy for years to come!

Classy interior, Sound system great! Roomy rear seats and plenty of space to tote stuff in the back. Especially like the handling. Stability control has kept me out of a couple of jams.

Would like a compass and self-domming mirror. No storage for CD's: more cup holders in front. Climate control not offered w/TDI in 2004: wish I had it!