2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Most problematic VW I've owned
By waterwish on 02/11/11 08:11 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my 4th VW. I had two '87 Jettas (one was replaced after having been totaled), and a 1999 Passat wagon that I bought used. The '99 was the BEST, lowest maintenance car that I have ever owned. I bought the 2004 Passat Wagon because they were offering 0% interest. I thought I was doing right to get a brand new car for a lower payment. I regret it now. In 2010, I spent close to $3,000 on this car for crazy repairs, along with other repairs that were under warranty or recalls, but still required the inconvenience of taking it in. Right now it is in the shop again to the tune of $1,000. I've filed a claim with VW Customer Care. It's a lemon!

VW Stinks!
By tarfoot on 05/27/09 22:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The car seems to be nice at first when you get it but after a while everything needs to be fixed on it. Even the oil change on it is $90. Its fairly new and i have put over 10,000 in repairs into it. Whatever you do DO NOT BUY A VW!!!!!! I also no people who have sold theirs for better cars since they had to go to the dealer every other week. Just to replace the air filter which is custom ordered it 75 you cant by the filter at walmart. I will never own a VW again and i encourage all of you not to even look at one. They might get excellent gas mileage but the money youll save you will spend fixing it. Then all the dealers want to run diagnostics every time which is 75. DONT BUY A VW!!

Yeah! Volkswagen for the TDI Turbo Wagon
By Gwen Frangias on 09/22/06 07:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is probably my all time favorite vehicle. It is fun to drive, a real winner at the fuel pump, and it has all the cargo space (and more) of an SUV without the bulk. You can hardly tell that it is a diesel, there's no odor, no noise, and as much pep as anyone would need. This car is a huge improvement over our only other diesel, a Mercedes back in the early 90's.

Comfort, Torque, Fuel Economy WOW!
By Malinois on 09/22/05 20:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I was looking for a vehicle that was: 1. comfortable 2. had the cargo and passenger space of my SUV (2001 Nissan Pathfinder) 3. wasn't anemic when it came to acceleration 4. had decent fuel economy. I found all of that and more in this VW Passat TDI. I typically get 29 mpg city and 38-40 mpg highway. With a little technique called venting, I can exceed 600 highway miles between fill ups. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that has not disappointed me in some way. Now if VW could just make an all wheel drive version..., the 247 ft.lbs. of torque could probably handle 4-motion.

The Perfect Car!
By Don on 06/28/05 18:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

After 1 Year of heavy driving I now believe I have the best car I have ever owned. Great fit and finish, great fuel economy, quiet and powerful. I researched this car using Edmunds and the reviews sold me. However, I wanted to wait a year and 30,000 miles to rate my experience with the car. Reviews that complain about it being underpowered and expensive to maintain must be mistaken. This car drives like the day I bought it: and I live in the hottest part of the South. 40 MPG around town w/AC on Max! 48 Hiway! 500+ miles on a tank of fuel. Finding diesel no problem in SouthEast. Won't trade this puppy for years to come!

Comfortable Ride
By CeCe on 04/19/05 12:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I absolutely love this car!!! I had a '96 Mustang before this purchase for 8 years and it only took me 2 days to become spoiled from my '05 Passat. The gas mileage is great. And actually I travel 50 miles to work one way and I average more than 38 miles to the gallon. It's more like 40.5, and I'm no pokey driver. I've only had it for a short while, but I predict I will love it always!

I've lost faith
By Peter on 03/06/05 12:19 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this car in July of 2004. The car was great until the winter came and it got cold. When it got below -20 C the car would not start. VW had such confidence it would start at this and colder temperatures that at the time it did not make a block heater for the car. Big mistake. The car was unreliable and has left me stranded several days in a row when it was cold and would not start. I since got rid of it and bought a Subaru. I will never buy a diesel car again in an area where it gets below - 20 C. This car is for only 3 seasons and not four. I have since read that VW has had numerous complaints about cold temperature starting problems.There now is a recall in effect for the fuel pump.

Passat Diesel
By Peter on 02/16/05 11:57 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought my 2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI for the size and comfort as well as the great fuel economybut it went downhill from there. I live in an area where it can snow 5 - 10 inches deep overnight. Even with front drive, traction control, and four studded winter tires I had a hard time driving in it. The ground clearence is only 4 inches so I was pushing the deep snow instead of driving over it. The temperature went down to -25 C for over a week and I could not get the car started. When it did start, it took a long time to get warmed up. My local VW dealer said thier garage was full with these cars as people couldn't get them started. This car has left me straded numerous times. I got rid of it and bought a Subaru.

Great Car
By Luke on 01/21/05 00:29 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I love the car! First time I have ever bought a diesel engine or German car. Love the mileage I am getting, well over 30 mpg and that includes around town driving. The car handles very well, tight steering, monsoon sound system is awesome. No problems so far with diesel in cold weather. Diesel engine is no louder than a regular gas engine.

Cant beat it for the price
By bruynje on 12/01/04 04:40 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Buying the diesel was the best thing that i could do. I have a dodge ram with a Hemi with $ 800 per month fuel bills. now i spend about 200 USd per month. The car is for my wife but its really the only vehicle we use. m consistant fuel miles are averageing 32-33 MPG city and highway. at 85 mph i get about 32 mpg. If you keep it to 75-78 mpg you will get 38-39 mpg with the AC running. The engine noise is strong in the first 2000 miles but then it really smoothens out. Diesels are meant to be driven, so if you keep it in the garage, buy a gas engine. There is a big of a turbo lag below 1500 RPM but once you pass the lag the power is great.