2004 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Fun, but huge waste of money! Listed Repairs.
By karmann11 on 04/02/12 10:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is fun to drive, AWD 4motion is amazing, and it does deliver fantastic MPG vs other models released the same year. Here's the issue. Read all other reviews, It's a maintenance lemon! Below I've listed the problems occurred after owning my car for 3 years (2009 - 2012, 54k - 96k miles) 1) Timing belt replaced - $320 2) 2 Coil packs - $240 3) Oil sludge recall - covered fortunately 4) 3 CV boots - $750 5) Oil Cooler failure - $1,600 6) 2 front axles - $360 7) 2 Cylinder Oxygen Sensors - $400 8) Clutch - $800 9) Fuel pump - $800 10) 4 tires - $450 11) 4 brake pads, calipers, rotors - $600 Total repair costs = $6,320 not including routine oil change, tire balancing, etc: $400/year

Do not buy Passat
By Roman on 01/04/10 09:05 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Once warranty was over my Passat started to fall apart. In it's fifth year I spent over 5,000 on service and maintenance. VW service after recent inspection informed me about 2 additional things that need to be done in the nearest future (additional $2,000). I won't buy Volkswagen again and I recommend you to stay away from Volkswagen

70,000 miles without problem
By Curtson on 05/12/09 22:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Most writers seem to have complaints but that is not my experience. I wrote about this car at 42,000 miles and am doing a follow-up. I still like this car as much as I did then. I've had to replace the headlight bulbs, a couple relay switches, and the rear lights. The timing belt replacement ($600) is usually done at 90,000 miles but I'm doing it at 80,000 to be on the safe side. I've replaced it in other cars so don't see this as an unusual expense. Slightly more expensive total repairs than my wife's 2005 Camry but it's a lot more fun - we always take this car.

VW HAS A DEFINITE COIL PROBLEM
By Jerry on 03/20/09 16:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have been down the coil road with VW. They will not admit that it is a major problem with their car. I have almost been stranded twice with the coil problem. Once I was at the dealer & they told me I would have to wait until the following week to get it fixed. It is a really simple thing to replace . I called a friend (Mechanic) & he knew right away & told me to buy a coil at the dealer & he talked me through changing it. It was a trial & error method because I didn't know which one of the 4 was bad. It turned out to be #1 coil. 2 weeks later # 2 died. I replaced it & the other 2 & have solved my problem. I hope the new ones are more reliable! Also had to replace a front axle

Four Year Follow-Up
By HtownHeff on 02/11/08 13:17 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We are 4 years and 50K miles into our Passat. Overall, it has been reliable and a supremely comfortable highway car. Have has some service niggles: front under spoiler has fallen off a few times, roof gutter came loose, and most recently, drivers side seat heater burned a hole in the seat. Besides this, the feature set of the 2004 now seems a little limited. Despite all this, though, the Passat still proves to be reasonable fun to drive transport for my family.

42,000 Miles of Happiness
By Curtson on 03/18/07 20:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had this car for 42,000 problem-free miles and have enjoyed all of them. It has a 5-speed manual transmission and 4-Motion which has been a great combination (no longer offered) for handling in all conditions. The driver's seat is the most comfortable car seat I have used. I never get sore on long trips. I find the seat in my wife's 2005 Camry to be far less comfortable. The gas mileage has been better than expected: 32 mpg @ 55-60mph, 30 mpg @ 65-70mph. The acceleration is way too much fun. My 18 year-old son doesn't care for the way it looks, but after driving it, said it is a hot car. I no longer let him drive it by himself. I want to drive this car for a long time.

I enjoy this car
By Klay on 04/25/06 18:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the nicest car I've ever owned (or driven, for that matter). It's very secure on the treacherous winter roads here. I've never needed anything but the all-season tiress that came on it. Its handling is great and its controls are right where you need them. The Passat is comfortable on long trips. I bought a phatbox MP3 system with 20 GB of space that integrates right into the existning sound system - fantastic system.

My favorite car
By KevinG on 06/20/05 22:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have put 15,000 miles on this car in the past year and have enjoyed every minute of it. This car is a 5-spd manual. I test drove the automatic but it tended to hesitate from a stop. The only problem I have had with this car is that I'm always driving too fast (I've never had a speeding ticket, I'm not a speeder). It just performs best and feels best if I push it. The combination of 4Motion and manual makes it sprint from a stop. I will never get another car without 4Motion; I can hardly stand the comparative lack of road grip in our FWD cars, dry or wet. Gas mileage has been 32mpg@55mph, 30@65. Performance suffered the one time I filled with 87 octane, but 90 and up has been fine.

4Speed, I dont think so!
By marisa on 04/05/05 16:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Have had the car for 8mo. Has gone through the winter, handles very well. A solid heavy car. I feel very safe. Radio area is confusing, everything is right there. Screen is HUGE sound is great. The front seats are height adjustable, great for tall or short people. Seats easy to clean as they are leather very important with kids. There is a britex wizard car seat in the middle and my husband who is 5'11 has plenty of room to adjust his seat back. Gas tank great. From Groton CT to Windham ME takes half a tank 250mi. Trunk is huge. Fits a play pen and full size stroller and items on either side of the stroller. Fits a set of suit cases in trunk. I have no problem buying another one if this one is crashed.

Miss My Smaller Cars
By appraiser on 01/29/05 14:39 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the VW Passat 4-Motion because I drive 35,000 - 45,000 miles per year, at times in poor weather conditions. The 1.8T engine has adequate power, and accelerates well after a brief turbo lag. The ride is relatively sedate. The car does not repsond quickly in turns, and is less fun than expected on twisty roads. In a recent ice storm that paralyzed Raleigh the 4-Motion worked perfectly. I was even able to stop and start on a steep, ice-covered street without incident. It performs as intended-a comfortable work car that is safe and gets 27 mpg combined. Other vehicles that I considered were the Volkswagen GTI or Acura RSX. I chose the bigger car for the better ride quality. I should have gotten a car that is more fun to drive.