2004 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Best vehicle I ever owned
By paulinthesouth on 04/12/13 15:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reading review after negative review I wonder whether I was just lucky, or whether my experience is more representative of the norm. My Passat was totalled last summer when a tree blown over by a storm crushed my garage (of course the Passat was in the garage). My experience? 95,000 miles with only 2 service matters. Fuel pump failed at 88,000. Parts and labor < $300. Replaced one CV boot at same time as a precaution. Parts and Labor also about $300. That's it. Outstanding performance and handling. Understated but elegant interior. Good ergonomics. Seats were firm but wonderful for long trips.

Best car for your money!!
By jolenecb on 01/21/13 21:19 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my 04 VW Passat! It is by far the best purchase I have ever made (great price for an AWESOME car). Bought it at 58,000 miles and it is flawless. The turbo is wonderful; and even though I have a basic model it has great features like the bump shifter, seat warmers, cruise control, great sounding stereo, high quality interior and more! It's German engineering at it's finest! You can feel the quality everytime you drive it. It is NOT a cheaply made Honda or Toyota. I recommend a Passat!

Upscale performace with horrible reliablity
By roznstyle on 12/20/12 14:26 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased the vehicle brand new in 2/04. Followed the recomended mantenance religiouly. In the years I've owned the vehicle I was left stranded 4 times and needed to be towed to a garrage. Tow #1 60K miles. Water pump (make of PLASTIC) failed causing the engine to overheat. Tow #2 75K miles. Fuel Pump failure. Tow #3 100K miles. car would not start. Brand new spark plugs were dirty and needed to be cleaned. Simple issue is a major problem when stranded. Tow #4 120K miles. water pump (Aagain!) after inspection, we needed, new water pump, timing belt, tensioners, cam seal, aux fan, main fan bearing, new belts, to the tune of 2K from a reputable 3rd party VW mechanic. Never Again VW!

SAFETY ISSUE BE AWARE
By simoghize on 10/18/12 11:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

i hate a car in front of me which caused other 2 cars ahead to be involved in the accident. the damage was severe as the whole front of the car was crashed including the engine and the passenger was fatally injured, he had a shoulder dislocation. what surprised me are the airbags, they never deployed even though i was driving 60 mph. after few days volkswagen of America sent an engineer to inspect the car. After he left i noticed the seatbelts are loose and the bottom cover is opened, it seems like he did it in purpose. before he came the seat belts were fine. what most surprised me is his decision that the airbags can't deployed in this case. iIshowed him the bottom of the car where is the chassis, it was bent from the direct impact of the forces that came through the bumper which also cause the front beam to twist, but never gave me a satisfied explanation. People who try to buy this car and have kids please be aware of this safety issue, my family was blessed to get out of this accident just with a shoulder dislocation, which could be worst. My next step is lawsuit against VW.

Fun, but huge waste of money! Listed Repairs.
By karmann11 on 04/02/12 10:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is fun to drive, AWD 4motion is amazing, and it does deliver fantastic MPG vs other models released the same year. Here's the issue. Read all other reviews, It's a maintenance lemon! Below I've listed the problems occurred after owning my car for 3 years (2009 - 2012, 54k - 96k miles) 1) Timing belt replaced - $320 2) 2 Coil packs - $240 3) Oil sludge recall - covered fortunately 4) 3 CV boots - $750 5) Oil Cooler failure - $1,600 6) 2 front axles - $360 7) 2 Cylinder Oxygen Sensors - $400 8) Clutch - $800 9) Fuel pump - $800 10) 4 tires - $450 11) 4 brake pads, calipers, rotors - $600 Total repair costs = $6,320 not including routine oil change, tire balancing, etc: $400/year

I Still LOVE This Car
By thevelvetelvis on 03/30/12 17:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2004 passat GLX 4motion slightly used with less than 9,000 miles on it. I lived in North Idaho for 11 years and this little car handled everything the weather threw at it. Now I'm in Florida and I still love my car. I'm At 65,000 miles and It has had no problems at all. Zero. I always do the routine maintenance and It still runs amazingly well. I have always had Japanese cars with their very good repair record but loved the way this little car handled so I bought it, always thinking if it becomes a problem, I'll sell it and move on. When it's time to replace this car I'll get another German car. I just love the way they handle. It's sick, but I do love this car.

A really fine automobile
By rob_rocket on 02/07/12 08:30 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Original owner of a 2004 Passat GLS 1.8T, this has been one great car. Exceptional performance, handling and fuel economy. The VW/Audi 4 cylinder turbo engine is one of the most sophisticated production engines being built, and is easy to modify for even better performance and driveability. Mated with the automatic transmission, a reprogrammed VW turbo provides amazing low-end torque and acceleration. You can easily out accelerate a V8 powered machine off the line. I also have a 5 series BMW and honestly, this car is more fun to drive - more road feel, lighter, easier to put it where you want it on the road. But don't skimp on maintenance - this car requires regular, skilled car.

You need to know what you are getting into
By roznstyle on 01/12/12 21:18 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I think a lot of people buy a VW are unaware that maintenance and adherence to manufacturer recommendations are KEY to keeping a VW on the road. I've owned my 2004 passast for 8 years and it still looks brand new after over 111K miles. A VW is not a honda where you put gas in it and change the oil every so often. you need to pay attention to using mid grade or higher fuel EVERY time. Synthetic oil, EVERY time. New Plugs every 40K per the manual, and on and on and on. YES there is a lot more in owning a VW than your run of the mill car but if you treat it right it will last for a long time. If you can handle a meticulous maintenance schedule then buy a VW but if you can't DO NOT BUY!!!!

My first car
By lanczer on 11/13/11 09:59 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My Father has owned 7 VWs in his lifetime. When it was time for me to get my licence my dad gave me his passat. I got it with 170,000 miles on it and absolutely no problems. This car was bought new and driven everywhere. I have driven many cars and this was by far my favorite. Its a Luxury Experience with superb handling and performance for its size. Only a short year after getting the car i was hit by a drunk driver. i was driven of the road, went airborne, and ended up in the woods. All of the airbags went off and i was able to walk away completely unscathed. The care was totaled but needless to say this car saved my life. Just yesterday i bought another one. I cant live without my VW.

LOVE IT FOR THREE YEARS
By galiti on 10/04/11 21:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Excellent car for one or five passengers! Quiet, comfortable, reliable and safe. Good traction.