Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 353 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Don't believe all the myths about these cars!!!
By William

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven American cars my entire life, and almost bought another one after my accident in a 2006 Chevy Malibu. To the Chevy's credit, it was comfortable and had great gas mileage, but it was definitely not safe enough, and there were compromises in other areas. Some of which included build quality, performance, design, etc. After a lot of research about these car, and my son being a huge German car fan, I decided to test drive this car on the roads I'm accustomed to and in the way I drive. The performance is excellent, and the ride is very capable and tuned for comfort. After looking at about 15 different cars (foreign and domestic), this was definitely the best and safest car for the money.

For years I have heard of so many horror stories about these cars, mostly about parts and reliability and things like that. I have had no trouble so far. This car does require some knowledge and willingness to learn, and simple maintenance is easy to do and is relatively cheap (like replacing a cabin air filter in a few minutes with a $12.00 aftermarket part). Only if you go to the dealer for absolutely everything will you see the money piling up. I would recommend doing simple things like that yourself. But really, no major problems whatsoever. Just as reliable as American cars.

I was lucky to find this car, as it is a high trim car with the better engine and features. It was a one owner car, and was obviously well taken care of for the 67,000 original miles. My one big complaint about this car is the gas mileage which is about 20-24 in mixed driving. Although it says in the owners manual that you can run it on regular gas (not E85), I use the middle-grade one and my car runs perfectly. Otherwise, it's a great looking, comfortable, and fun car that I hope to enjoy for many miles to come.

We're never ever ever getting back together
By Terri

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

My father passed in 2009 and the car was given to me with 17,000 miles on it. The car has always been garaged.
I cannot drive the car now and it only has 53000 miles on it (12/2015) When I got the car I took it to Volkswagen and had a costly 3000 bill.

Now the boots are gone
Air conditioning is shot
Catalytic converter went out
power steering went out
Can only use cruise control if head lights are in the bright position The cruise goes out if I make a right turn.

Get oil change every twice a year, had power steering fluid changed 2 years ago

Had to get
new radiator
oil leaks
all new hoses, there was a lot more but I don't have my records available at the moment

I cant even remember all of it

The mileage is terrible. Between 14 and 16 miles per gallon Had all tune ups

I WOULD NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGEN AGAIN

Would love to sell the good parts

Great roadworthy wagon
By nancy wiggins

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Love the handling& has enough power to make mountain trips a breeze. Replacement parts are too expensive for me. Low height is easy entry & a great feature but front bumper & oil pan (replaced 4 times-speed bumps)are too low. Bought it to serve as a company car to haul executives as well as a personal car. Works well on both counts.Got the German made luxury edition and have enjoyed the features. The emissions system is a problem.

Great longevity
By Lc

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have the 2004 model. After 11 years and a great ( indy VW) mechanic and regular maint. and oil changes, I've had minimal costly repairs.
Maybe, I'm in the minority but I'm holding on to it, with just 115,000. My last VW went past 200,000.

Stay away!!! Has SOOO many issues!!!
By passathater

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2004 Passat GL in 2011 with 91k mi. on it for $7900. In just 3 years I've spent over $3600 on it not including regular maintenance. Oil sludge, both front axle boots torn, both brake rotors, leaking coolant, new thermostat housing and new thermostat, and many, many other problems!! Currently at 130k miles the timing belt broke. Could cost me $900-$3000+ to fix depending on the damage done to the engine. It's current value wasn't even worth it to fix. I sincerely advise EVERYONE to stay away from this vehicle!!! I personally will NEVER buy a Volkswagen again!! Don't make the mistake I did... DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!