2003 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Would not recommend this vehic

2003 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GL Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Would not recommend this vehicle
By deck3 on

2003 Volkswagen Passat GL Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2003 Passat had 91,000 miles when the engine sludged; a known problem with this engine. This car has been more stress than the $14,000 purchase price. The original sludged engine had to be replaced with a new engine ($3,695), installed and the engine reset ($977 + $252), as well as the cost of a replacement car ($900). Stress and towing not included. VW's CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT regarding the Sludging of its Passat vehicles has been anything but easy. VW had multiple hoops to jump through. The Oil Sludge Settlement Administrator group had told me on more than one occasion that I would be "reimbursed 100% of the above expenses", but I just received a reimbursement check barely large enough to cover the cost of the engine ($3991.98). What a shame. This engine had problems, VW was aware of these problems, and VW was taken to court and made to reimburse those who purchased these problems. This company, Volkswagen, is not a reputable company to deal with based on my dealings with them. Both their product and business handlings have been of poor caliber. I would not recommend doing business with Volkswagen.

Favorite Features

I honestly am so disgusted with the Passat vehicle and Volkswagen - the company. There was much undo strain because of these two. I would recommend you not waste your time with VW, but look into other brands instead.

Suggested Improvements

The engine had to be replaced, the radio broke, was replaced and again is broken, there have been multiple recalls, the service for this vehicle is very expensive, and the overall stress related to the unreliability of this car is not worth it.