2003 Volkswagen Passat 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Avoid this car like the

2003 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

GLS 1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic)

Avoid this car like the plague
By nakie on

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is the most unreliable I've ever owned. This model is total rubbish and should have had recalls on the engine and all the hoses attached. It is the ultimate in cheap manufacturing. I have replaced the transmission all hoses and connections below the engine(plastic fittings that all cracked) the dip stick holder(plastic) that came out in multiple pieces when checking the oil the engine that froze and died when the oil strainer became clogged with sludge( the red light came on telling me to stop but by the time I could get off the road the engine was starved of oil and had to be replaced

Favorite Features

Zero

Suggested Improvements

Recall the entire year and offer an apology to all those deluded people that thought German engineering meant something other than cheap defective manufacture.
By tayokarate
on 09/21/14 15:25 PM (PDT)

This actually happened to me..The whole engine had to be removed and the pieces of the plastic guage housing had broken into the oil pump sieve and I stopped in d middle of the highway with low oil pressure warning.I really suffered from that..