2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Great Wagon
By Bill_in_ny on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Very nice car (my wife's). Wonderfull fit and finish, loaded with safety features (air bags, anti-lock, pinch free window) very comfy. Rides on air with enough road feel to make it seem like you are part of the car. More room than most SUV's without lugging 4000lbs around. Quick around town and on open road. Great on long trips (took turns and drove staight through from NY to FL)

Luxury on a shoestring
By Robebrown on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We looked at a lot of cars, from budget Subaru to opulent BMW 500 series. The Passat won out, not because it was the best at any one thing, but because it had more good things in one package: comfort, convenience, driveability, roominess. And the wagon is easier to parallel park than any other car I've owned. GLX is not exactly cheap, but for the money, it gives you more than most other cars in its class.

Run away fast!
By wolfman333 on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Sexy car inside and out. Drives nicely on the freeway. Mine has some really bad rattles that the dealership can't seem to fix and I may have to get an attorney to get VW to do anything about it. Climatronic is the most illogical and difficult to use heating/air conditioning system I've ever encountered. If you're living in ignorant bliss buy this car. If real quality matters run away fast.

A Wagon for the Banana Republic Crowd
By ChadPT on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Our was quite a step up from the college car (Honda Civic) and worht the wait. It has all the necessary bells and whistles, and I would highly recommend the GLX model, because you'll want the extra features. The backseat has ample leg room for passengers, and the stereo is very nice! A great entrance to luxury cars that is less than other luxury makers.

I vowed I would not take the plunge
By JHGSaratoga on 01/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned 5 new VW's in the last 5 years (1999 Jetta GLX - the best by far, 2000 Jetta GLX, 2001 Cabrio GLX, 2002 Passat GLX 4-motion Wagon, and 2003 Passat W8 4-motion Wagon). The best performing car was - hands down - the 1999 GLX. Do not take the plunge on the W8 for the extra $7K. The GLX Passat Wagon is just as good a performer as the W8! I'm considering switching to Audi Allroad 2.7.

love it, but...
By kschel on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fun to drive despite appreciable turbo lag off the line. Have had numerous little problems which the dealership has been able to fix. This is certainly no Toyota in terms of build quality or reliability, but then again it isn't a mere "transportation appliance"--actually has personality. I wouldn't have bought it without VW extending the base warranty to 48 months. Wonderful interior, nice quality feel.

Alternative to a gas hungry SUV
By Germans do it best on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This es a good looking well built vehicle with a lot more space than a sedan to haul things. It handles road iregularities and conors very well. You really feel like you are driving something that is going to last a long time when you are behind the wheel. The 4 cylinder Turbo engine coupled with the 5 speed automatic does a good job of moving along in any kind of traffic. Turbo lag is not really a problem and you can enter a freeway on ramp with confidence. Styling is very good from any angle, but especially from the rear. The taillights are not only attractive but very visable to drivers approaching from the rear.

Love our family wagon
By lovemywagon on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchasing the Volkswagon Passat Wagon was a compromise between me and my husband. We previously owned an SUV which I hated from day one. I wanted a comfortable sedan. He thought we needed more space. We were also in the market for a new car for him. He got the sedan at the same time. We love them both. There are a couple of pet peeves I have about the vehicle - the blinker doesn't shut off until the steering wheel is almost in a straigt position and I find the windshield wiper controls hard to maneuver - but minor details compared to everything else. The back seat is also a bit tight with two car seats back there.

Disappointed with GLS Wagon
By jkilo on 12/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Made a mistake purchasing this vehicle. Build quality and dealer service have been poor. Paint had numerous small blems. Rear hatch trim replaced twice. Roof line trim inserts bow up. Fully loaded highway ride not comfortable. 1.8T slow off the line - OK at speed. Fuel economy not great. Tip: on your test drive set tire pressure to mfg spec - this dealer sets them low to smooth out ride.

Best vehicle I have owned!
By Hawk12 on 12/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After having a turbo golf for 1.5 years, we needed more room and got the Passat. Wow, night and day difference. I have had this now for about 1.5 years and 32000 miles and all I can say is that I have 0 issues with this car. No rattles, no squeaks, smooth ride, good power, great feel and stability. Having been in countless other cars over the years, I can say this is as good as it gets in this price range. Highly recommended!