Used 2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great car
By czilar

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this car used, trading in our beloved honda civic. My wife is very pleased, heated front seats, AWD (especially now that we have over a foot of snow!).

Favorite Features

The power and comfort of this vehicle are the two most impressive features.

Suggested Improvements

Our only concern is the gas mileage. Our civic consistently was over 30mpg, but this VW is likely to be in the high teens or low 20s. Though all the car magazines suggest the back seat is a bit small, to be honest, it is bigger than we are used to.

Love your mechanic, you'll see him a lot!
By Steve A

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The car has had repeated issues with brakes (5 incidents). Electrical problems with doors, set heaters, fuel pump issue. Repeated Check Engine Light warnings with repeated assurances that it was a computer "glitch". Only after the car was out of warranty did they agree to change the charcoal cannister (at my expense) which resolved the issue that plagued me for a year! I wasted too much time on this car. Would not buy another VW product based on service experience. Rear brakes are too thin and the fuel economy is appalling.

Favorite Features

The car handles well, little feature like auto-down and auto-up windows are nice at the drive-thru. It is smooth and secure in the manner that it handles. It truly provides the ride quality of an Audi at a VW price.

Suggested Improvements

The car could use better brake pads on the rear, with greater durability. The CV joints have worn out at less than 60,000 miles, sad to say. The electrical system including door wiring, keyless remote and set heaters have been an issue.

Best bang for the buck
By Ragekit

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

If you're considering an all round performer that can handle a family of four plus and still haul booty in the winter or summer w/the 4Motion, the VW W8 is for you. My only faults are gas mileage in the city and the sensors that seem to go bad more frequently than other foreign cars. I recommend the W8 wagon w/sport package and 6 speed manual--what a blast to drive. This car is a sleeper!

Favorite Features

Powerful engine--unbelievable traction even in heavy snow. The looks on people's faces as I leave them in the dust.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability, better fuel economy.

Very impressive
By blue25

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Recently bought this car to replace our Volvo V70 wagon which broke down. Wow, is this car great. In hindsight I wish I would have never bought the Volvo. The feel and drive of this car is great. It seems to be well designed and engineered. The interior is luxurious, and the car handles great. The 4Motion system which is really the Audi Quattro system is very responsive. I look forward to many great years with this car.

Favorite Features

AWD, Monsoon stereo, leather seats, cold weather package... and just about everything else.

Suggested Improvements

The V6 seems a little weak especially with the 4Motion. I wish the W8 was standard.

A Very Good Car - Update
By Mark-- Boston

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Now > 4 years into ownership and at 108,000 miles, I thought I'd update my review. I still like this car a lot. It remains reasonably reliable with only fair fuel economy ( although I've been getting 24-25 MPG on the highway lately). Cost of maintenance has been relatively high, but I do drive a lot, so I feel it has been quite acceptable. Engine (V6) is running smooth and not burning oil. I'm thinking of driving it until 200K or until the cost of repairs gets too high (I've done the TB and WP at 85K). I'm still overall satisfied with the car and service I've been getting. I've had two electrical problems. Fuel pump died at 60K (recall) and driver's seat heater died (expensive, but needed fix).

Favorite Features

Comfort, handling, ride, space, versatility, Bauhaus looks, solid feel. I still enjoy getting in and driving my "Gray Ghost" every morning (I guess that really says something).

Suggested Improvements

Better rear rotors. My fronts are the original rotors, yet I've replaced the rears 4 or 5 times. I know this has a rear brake bias to prevent nosedive, but perhaps VW should have given it larger rear brakes.