Used 2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 436 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

My 2003 Passat
By brueggemann

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the 2nd 2003 Passt we've owned.
My niece had a 2003 also and told me that they had to replace the motor once, and the turbo charger once, and recommended I don't get one.
During the 2 years with our first Passat, we had it in the shop 6 times for engine lights.
Finally they said it was caused by the turbo charger & wanted $4,300.
We could afford the repair & traded it on another 2003 with lower mileage & extended warranty.
We've had the this second car for 3 years & the engine light has come on 9 different times.
Sun roof opens on its own and the rear windows fall out of the tracks.
The car is in the shop now for it 2nd new turbo booster and guess what? No more warranty. GRRRR

The car is very solid and very comfortatble. Gets good milage. For the ride and comfort, this is by far the best car I've owned.

Volkwagon knows that there is a flaw in these engines and the turbo chargers on them. They should stand behind their cars, and not behind the income they receive from the "once faithful" customers they use to have.

Good Solid Car
By Hawk

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I brought my passat in 2003 new. We are know in 2010 and I have not had any problems that I am surprised about. I drive my car on a daily basis. I currently have 97,500 miles on my car, and plan on changing the timing belt at 105,000 to drive the car another 100,000 miles. I plan on replacing the shocks and springs with Eibach brands and I plan on finding some factory 17 inch vw wheels to place on my car. I don't plan on buying a car anytime soon. This car has treated me very well.

I enjoy the v6 engine. The solid feel of the car makes me feel safe.

The ride height of the car should have been lower with more of a sporty feel of suspension and shocks, but since the car is paid for, I will take care of that myself.

seriously fun and reliable
By KH

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

4 Motion, All wheel drive, W8: Overall, it was a great purchase for the price. It is by all means a luxury car. Our only complaint is that the check engine light has been on since the purchase (8 months) and two dealerships and three visits have yet to be able to find the issue, it there even is one. Please note that this car takes synthetic oil so you will pay more for regular changes. Also, it takes a person with higher than average mechanical skills to work on the car personally. So, even minor issues will usually have to be taken car of professionally (the engine is enclosed).

The engine power, handling, and interior luxury.

Have the backs seats fold down for trunk access (although our manual says our model does this, it actually does not.) CD changer in trunk is not too practical.

This car is a piece of JUNK!!!
By DosGattos

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is a piece of junk. At first it was great to drive and I had no problems. Once the check engine light came on in 2008 I have had nothing but problems. I can't count on one hand the times the coils have been changed. The sunroof opens on its own, speakers are intermittent, doors wont lock, lights burn out, brakes wear quickly,etc.. Right now it is sitting in my driveway because the engine light is on again (2nd time in 3 months) and it shakes horribly and smokes. Don't buy this car!!

Fun to drive, quick, good gas mileage, love the interior lighting color.

Everything!!!

'03 VW passat GLS 1.8T Sedan - Great Car
By 2003 VW passat

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had this car since Jan 2009, and this is the most comfortable car I have ever sat or driven in. The only problem I have had since buying the car was a CV boot which was just a month ago and it was torn and needed to be replaced asap. So I recommend to you VW owners to not go to a dealership for ANY repairs including headlight/tail light bulbs & oil changes unless you want to pay up the butt in bills. Find a car mechanic. The only thing I don't like about the car is that the headlight bulbs are hard to find and replace. My advice to VW owners is to not to go to a dealership unless that is your last option! I love my car and I guess I was just lucky compared to other reviews.

Heated leather seats, sliding sun roof, cruise control, sliding arm rest, LOTS of room, smooth ride, alarm system, power locks/windows, big trunk space, headlight style, back windshield defroster

gas mileage needs to be better Especially if we are paying for Premium which is what the car requires. Manuals for replacing headlight bulbs & tail light bulbs.