Used 2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

I've loved my used Volks
By Lilly

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 2003 GLX 4-motion Volkswagen. I think it looks great, it drives great, and I love the way it handles. Only problem I have in Salt Lake City, Utah is the dealership is the last place I want to take it after having a problem with a recall on the fuel pump--which they insisted I should have them replace since it was free! and two days later when I was going up a hill, the car stopped on me and I had to be towed. I guess the "new" fuel pump was defective. The dealership in Sandy, UT also told me I needed a new serpentine belt when they had just replaced it within a year. I have found an independent repair shop in SLC now that I trust; otherwise I would never want a Volks in SLC, Ut

Favorite Features

Beautiful leather seats and interior, beautiful exterior design. Great handling. Love the heaviness I feel on the road. Good power. Gas mileage not bad at all on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Volkswagen should pay more attention to how their service shops treat the customer and get more professional, experienced technicians. I would like to buy an Audi for my next car but the abominable service department at Southtowne will keep me from doing it.

V6 4Motion great buy, but underpowered
By Daniel

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the vehicle with approx 80k miles. Loaded, flagship model in the lineup, everything electric/mechanical still works fine. This car is a tank -- very heavy, very "safe" feeling. V6 feels underpowered. Should've bought the V8. However, 4motion has saved my life twice. No hesitance to load my family (with newborn) into car.

Favorite Features

Odom reads 91k miles so far, no major repairs. Great looking on inside and out. Engine weak off the line, but really comes alive at 3500-4500 rpm on freeway (passing speeds).

Suggested Improvements

Mileage. On long trips at steady speeds with cruise control, I average 25-26 mpg. Par for AWD, but would love to see 30 mpg.

Funnest car I've owned
By not all bad reviews

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought it in 04 with 20,000 miles and now have 145,000 miles on it. Had to replace the coils and brake light switch. Had my own mechanic do the work and got reimbursed most$ because of recalls. Fun to drive. Had a water issue but fixed it myself. If I had mechanic fix it would have gotten reimbursed due to recall. Only issue I have is the headlights are wired backwards so the main lights are on all the time. Also have a heated seat issue but beyond that I love the car. Parts are pricey and the dealers don't have a clue. But have not had the issues these posters have had. Anyone who's borrowed my car liked driving it.

Favorite Features

Triptronic transmission, gas mileage, acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes. Easier air filter access. Lower repair costs. Better dealer/service .

Love my VW
By jshanley

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is truly an amazing vehicle, from the comfort and control to the stability and the safety you feel driving such a powerful vehicle. I purchased my car with 31,000 miles and have since put 9,000 on in less than one year because I simply love driving it!

Favorite Features

Suspension system. Security. Safety features. Spacious interior. Stylish appearance. Very fast! Durability. Ease of driving.

Suggested Improvements

No suggestions, this car is phenomenal.

repair bills 3 inches thick shameful
By Ryan

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is a joy to drive when the check engine light is not on. It has Great hwy mileage. As for the down side I paid 6700 for the car a year ago in very good shape still looks great but have replace over 3000 dollars worth of crap on the car in 5 different visits to the dealership. I got a stack of papers from the previous owners of every service visit and oil change so i thought i would be ok. I was wrong regardless of how well you take care of this car is just a nightmare in random repair bills.

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats are great.

Suggested Improvements

The reliability of the vehicle is the worst i have ever experienced.