2003 Volkswagen Passat GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
VW has really done it!
By iclyde on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My god how can they sell such a well equipped car for this price. My parent have an Audi A6 and almost cried when they heard how much I paid for my Passat.

One Owner's Opinion
By rjera on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The first thing you notice is the look and styling, both inside and out, of cars that are much more expensive. Like their commercial blatantly states, it only looks like a million bucks. The exterior lines are clean, not cluttered, but cutting edge modern. The interior is German plain, but classy. The quasi-retro speedometer and tach, with cool blue lights and red designation points are unique. The feel of driving it screams quality. Tight, respectable acceleration at low speeds, and surprisingly quick response over 75 mph. This car does the German heritage proud. Being a Volkswagen, it is also reasonably priced in the $20's.

Overall a great car
By Rich in Jax on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After studying this and other publications, we came to the decision that the Passat was the car for us. We choose the GLS 1.8 for its fuel economy and added the Luxury Package. The side curatin airbags and traction control weighed heavily in the protection of our children. We have had two fit and finish errors. First of all the child lockout for the power windows didn't depress. Secondly, the dashboard had two small indentations where the dash cover wasn't properly adhered to the underlayment. Both were fixed without any trouble. We absolutely love the car and are looking foward to remaining VW customers.

Excellent car- great buy!
By mihirmaniar on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

My Maxima was totalled in an accident. We were looking for a V6 family-sedan under $30K. Our shortlist was Passat, Acura TL and Maxima. We test-drove many cars- older 528i, A6. We've previously owned Mazdas, Nissan, Toyotas. We did a lot of research on the web- Edmunds is awesome! After a couple weeks, we converged on the Passat GLX and absolutely love it! The exterior/interior is eye-catching and the handling is far superior than the Japanese cars. I am hoping the Passat will last me as long as the Japanese cars- they've increased the warranty to 4years now which is great. German cars feel stiffer than the Japanese cars, and make you stick to the road.

Max bang for the buck
By W.D.White on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is an all around great car at a price that adds a real feeling of triumph for us value addicts.

My favorite car
By Goffs on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Was actually looking at the Accord Coupe and Toyota Solara in a V6. Somehow ended up at a VW dealer. Needless to say, I ended up with a Passat GLS 1.8T with the 5-speed shiftable automatic transmission. Never thought I would buy a VW, but I am sure glad I did.

Not totally impressed
By Todd Herzog on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I am very impressed with the overall appearance and handling of this car. My concern is the electrical and the transmission. After owning for 3 days the tiptronic will not engage and the fuel gauge quit working. Maybe mine is a fluke and is an easy repair but it has left me with a sour feeling at this point.

2003 GLX
By vam on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Fun to drive but Lots of road noise. Comfort is excellent. Bad Triptonic future

First Impressions of New Car
By Cal Driver on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned this car for less than one week, but so far it is a lot of fun and a pleasure to spend time in. Quality and reliability unknown but this site requires an answer to post...

Passat is great!
By flisnik on 08/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My first venture from the Honda line in 15 years and I'm glad I made it. This car is a dream to drive. I've made two trips of 12 hours each way to see family and the Passat made it relaxing. The sound system is sweet to the ear.