2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
1.8T 5MT GLS Wagon is a wonderful car!
By ovi on 08/28/07 12:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just came back from a 2,400 mi trip (Ontario to NC and back). The car is absolutely fantastic: excellent performance in heavy traffic and on highway, low fuel consumption (average 33.11mpg with AC on, 65-70MPH) and very comfortable seats. Great torque @ 2000rpm, very stable/quiet car. I only miss the 6-speed manual transmission. This car will serve you well if the driving habits are reasonable and maintenance is properly done (5W40 syn oil every 5,000mi, good oil and air filters). Yes, some repairs are expensive at the dealer but if you find a good repair shop you'll see a huge drop in ownership costs.

Passat Wagon
By tgride87 on 08/16/07 12:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used and have since put over 50,000 miles on it without hardly having to put in any maintenance costs. It is really a great car - drives well, is comfortable, gets decent to good gas mileage and holds its value.

Love it! But expensive to repair
By Story man on 06/26/07 18:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Passat; bought it used in 2006. It is a joy to drive, and is one of the few 5-speed wagons available in this class. Both Passats had reliability problems ('98: cam followers bad at 120k; window regulator at 60K) ('03: turbo out at 70K, water leaks from roof drains). But in spite of these and many other problems, I bought a second one because it is so much fun to drive and looks great. I will put up with the costs because I love it.

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T
By VW OWNER on 08/02/06 11:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is exceptionally fun to drive, considering its engine is only 1.8 liters. It is fast and averages an all around 26 mpg. Mine has a 5-speed standard transmission. This is a premium automobile at a big discount!

My Mom-Mobile
By Christi on 07/11/06 14:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is a wonderful car that has given me few problems in the time I've owned it. The AWD allows me to corner at any speed I want and never complain. I've been able to drive through rain and then a couple of feet of snow and it feels no different that driving on dry pavement. This really feels like it is the Audi in VW clothing.

Confused
By Confused on 02/23/06 08:59 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Passat in Italy through a company that sells US spec models directly to US civilian and military personnel. I drove it through the Alps, through Croatia, from Naples to Belgium and back at sustained speeds of 100 mph for a couple of hours at a time. Nothing broke, nothing fell off, nothing went wrong. It never needed a tow until the fuel pump went out at 55,000 miles, which the dealer in Aosta Italy replaced under warranty. I am not sure what people in the US do to their cars so they don't work right or if their expectations are totally misplaced. I've had Jettas and Passats almost exclusively since 1984 and have never had major problems, and at 62K mi., no oil use!

A Very Good Car
By Mark-Boston on 01/12/06 13:13 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I've been quite happy with this car (now > 2 years into ownership). I haven't had any major problems and my dealer. This definitely is a very comfortable and versatile car, that is safe and can haul a lot of stuff - but is also quite luxurious. I drive approx 50 miles a day to work. The straight line traction is excellent (make sure you put on 4 snow tires on it and it's very surefooted in the winter). VW's are more expensive to maintain than several of it's competitors, but they really have a soul. I purchased an aftermarket warranty through a reputable source for added protection. The 2003 model appears to have been a good year according to CU.

Why can't VW get it right ??
By Fool me twice ?? on 12/02/05 20:36 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My husband owned an '86 GTI that had electrical probs from day one. He swore he'd never have another VW but I begged. While we have not had any major electrical probs, the car has been to the dealership too many times. The trim is continuously discoloring or falling off, the wiring harness went bad in the first 10,000 miles, the fuel pump went out at 44,000 miles and we had to replace the brakes AND rotors at 44,000. When the car was stalling for no apparent reason, the dealership asked me if I had driven through any puddles recently. Enlighten me, can a VW not go through puddles without stalling? Now the interior light only occasionally comes on when you open the door. The gas mileage is dissappointing. I've learned my lesson.

Disappointed with 2003 VW Passat V6 AWD Wagon
By pillar1 on 11/18/05 15:50 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This review comes from a loyal VW owner, however, I've been very disappointed with my 2003 VW Passat V6 AWD Wagon. It is a beautiful, comfortable car but it's been in the shop way too much! My car has had the rotors replaced twice, a bad auto air conditioning fixed twice, and now a bad fuel pump. All of these problems are with a car with less than 35,000 miles. I was very pleased with my former cars a '95 VW Cabrio and '98 VW Passat, but I will look elsewhere for my next car.

Impossible to fix
By Kenneth on 08/30/05 15:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This was a good basic car. However, all of the items meant to make this a luxury car did not work (auto-wipers, auto-AC, etc). I could only get parts at the dealer and only the dealer could work on it. But, even the dealer couldn't fix any of the problems. I sold it with all of the problems that supposedly had been repaired. I did not have a trip to the repair shop cost less than $2,000. From new to sold (including repair costs) I lost approx $30,000 owning this vehicle.