2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews 4

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
What a Mistake!
By Karen on 10/07/09 14:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

When I purchased this car new in 2003, it was my first experience with a Volkswagon. I now now it will be my last. The first month the starter went and I was without a car for days. I unfortunately continued to bring the car to the dealership and never got out of there under $1000, even for routine service. The recalls have been numerous, and my pants actually caught fire with the lovely heated seats prior to the recall. I recently replaced an axle, and now I am told I may need a new transmission. I don't even have 80,000 mile yet. My back doors do not unlock, the handle came off the glovebox, the alarm no longer sounds when I leave the lights on, the sunroof gets stuck open, ....on and on..

NEVER BUY A VW !!!!
By sk on 09/11/09 15:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought vw passat 03 as certified used and had a very bad experience. The only reason I bought the car was because of its sexy interior and exterior(silver). Last 4 yrs, I had nothing but bad experience, done every service regularly, almost every time the vw dealer finds some problem costing anywhere from $300.00 to $1500.00 for that repair or this repair. I was driving probably about 50 miles a month as I had a Honda Civic. After about 3 yrs of use, I was worried and purchased a top vw platinum warranty, but the problems didn't stop nor was any part/problem covered by this worthless warranty - i paid about $2000 for this warranty. NEVER BUYING A VW AGAIN.

W8 the car you'll love to hate
By zerowheelspin on 08/31/09 19:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

After picking up the most grown up car I've ever owned, I find my self in a Love hate relationship.. I bought it right off lease with 24k on the clock on 4-13-07. The first of the problems was the ac went it the first week right before a trip to the fl. Keys. The roof trim keeps popping up at the rear over the rear window. Window regulator broke, over head interior light stay on, sun roof opens for no reason, trunk lock broke, head light washer non opp, cv boots leaked, trans torque converter replaced, brake booster vac line. The list goes on I just don't have the time or space. By the way as of 8-31-09 this car only has 49,290 miles on the clock.. If you ask me stay clear of VW! All lemons!

Not worth it
By Warren on 08/07/09 19:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I think that the guy who bought his VW from CarMax got the one that I unloaded. It was the biggest disappointment. Had a Rabbit for 16 yrs that was great. Had the Passat for 4 years and hated it for three. Went through 4 sets of brakes, VW said it was normal wear. Hesitation issues, finally the axle was giving me trouble and I traded it in for a Mercury Milan. So far the Milan has only needed $30 oil changes, compared with the $80 oil changes of VW, not to mention premium gas. Got rid of the Passat at 33000 miles and was glad it was gone. Hey Andrews, is yours indigo blue? If so, sorry you got stuck. I don't care however reliable VW gets, I am done with them as a company.

The best unreliable car I have ever ownd
By djtomek2003 on 07/18/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I loved this car but I could no longer afford the crazy maintenance costs. AT 60.000 miles the water pump failed - Timing Belt needed to be replaced - AC system started leaking and eventually ran out. ( after 3 trips to the dealership they finally found out where the leak was ) 2200 to repair I changed the break lights as often as I changed oil.

bought new, owned for 6 years, 100k mile
By gphin305 on 06/02/09 13:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought car new in 2002 and just turned 100k miles. Problems...coil packs replaced by dealer when new...no charge. Cars manufactured prior to 7/02 had defects which VW took care of under warranty. Had engine sludge problem at 82k miles which vw fixed for free although technically out of warranty...changed to synthetic oil. car has had regular maintenance by VW dealer which provides excellent service. Car has experienced some minor issues (emergency flasher replaced, headlights burned out, etc.) but overall has been very reliable....no major engine or transmission issues. Very fun to drive, excellent ride on highway, solid German engineering. Bought new 08 last year....10k miles no problems.

Disappointed
By jsmith on 05/30/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love the look, style, and power of my Passat. I was so excited to own a VW Passat. Two months after buying my used Passat, I noticed fluid leaking from underneath the car and smoke coming from the exhaust when I started the car. Transmission fluid was leaking and so was oil from the turbo. Before I could get the turbo fixed my car left me stranded on Christmas Eve. I ended up replacing the engine and turbo, which took 2 1/2 months to find an engine and turbo in good shape. Now a year after buying my car and putting in a new engine and turbo the transmission is slipping and the AC stopped working. I can not wait to get rid of this car!

New Car
By Mertdawg on 05/24/09 23:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had this car for about a month and I LOVE IT. It's comparable to Acura's. I can't wait to put Yokohama Tires on it and fix it up piece by piece! RECALLS are great. A new TURBO has been put in it! You can still smell it breaking in ;) The turbo reminds me of V tec in my '98 Acura 3.0 CL.

Least reliable car I've ever owned
By Derwinator on 05/03/09 18:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Everything you've read about the Passat is true - they are great to drive, look awesome, and have excellent fit and finish. Have really enjoying DRIVING this car, but can't say the same for my experience with its reliability. Hands down the most expensive and problematic car I've ever owned. If it wasn't in the shop for a $85 oil change (synthetic required by VW) it was in for a service recall or a problem like water leaking into the passenger side for the 4th time. Finally, the water pump failed at 78K mile destroying the timing belt and engine in the process. I've had enough and this car was sold as soon as I got it back from the repair shop. I'm in a Honda again and happy.

LOVE my Passat
By SFM on 04/20/09 15:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great car with great fuel economy. Whenever I am on the highway I get around 30 mpg. Mine has 95,000 on it right now and is still running great. The exterior is a little boring but greatly improved on in the new Passats. The body is very sturdy, I have backed into my garage door after slamming the gas and it barely has a scratch. Great for a first car or anyone who is on the road a lot.