2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
No Regrets but not perfect
By navitor on 09/01/08 21:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

We owned our Passat wagon for almost 5 years and 52,000 miles. Overall this has been a good car. My wife loved it for hauling around our first child for the first 4 years then I got it when we put her in a Honda Odyssey for hauling our two kids. I used it as a commuting car into Houston from the burbs or to the park and ride. The car has a nice tight steering feel and great suspension. The overall ride quality is very good. I think the instruments are good and not too complicated which I have often read. The engine was good but the car felt a little underpowered at times with the AWD. I would generally recommend this car.

Good, practical car
By Jay on 07/10/08 20:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall Passat is a very good and practical car, did not have any major problems, pleasure to drive, excellent trunk space (as a wagon). Interior is nice, quality of radio sound is good.

Get it fixed right
By Robert in Alhambra on 06/27/08 16:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First, I can not understand why there are so many parts within the wheel bearing. That aside, my car has been a very reliable car. After 120k miles, I have replaced all of the ignition coils, spark plugs, struts, and a few other items. The importance of a reliable mechanic can not be made enough. The dealership's work - all of it ever made - had to be redone. No kidding. After I started going to an honest mechanic, someone who told me about certain gas stations, rather than replacing something that didn't need fixing, life was better.

Engine Problem
By murphya on 05/04/08 19:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

After 67,000 miles, the entire engine block cracked after hitting a pothole or small object in the road. VW would not admit any liability, my collision paid for it. The car runs very low to the ground. It seems like such a major repair for a minor collision. Cost $6700 to repair.

Do not buy a VW!
By Sorry I bought on 04/04/08 18:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Two words...oil sludge. All VWs of this engine type (and the V6 I've heard) have several fundamental problems that VW is unwilling to address. Poorly engineered product. Go with a Japanese competitor.

Great car
By czilar on 01/09/08 21:19 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this car used, trading in our beloved honda civic. My wife is very pleased, heated front seats, AWD (especially now that we have over a foot of snow!).

Love your mechanic, you'll see him a lot!
By Steve A on 01/06/08 19:40 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The car has had repeated issues with brakes (5 incidents). Electrical problems with doors, set heaters, fuel pump issue. Repeated Check Engine Light warnings with repeated assurances that it was a computer "glitch". Only after the car was out of warranty did they agree to change the charcoal cannister (at my expense) which resolved the issue that plagued me for a year! I wasted too much time on this car. Would not buy another VW product based on service experience. Rear brakes are too thin and the fuel economy is appalling.

Best bang for the buck
By Ragekit on 01/02/08 13:46 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

If you're considering an all round performer that can handle a family of four plus and still haul booty in the winter or summer w/the 4Motion, the VW W8 is for you. My only faults are gas mileage in the city and the sensors that seem to go bad more frequently than other foreign cars. I recommend the W8 wagon w/sport package and 6 speed manual--what a blast to drive. This car is a sleeper!

Very impressive
By blue25 on 09/04/07 16:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Recently bought this car to replace our Volvo V70 wagon which broke down. Wow, is this car great. In hindsight I wish I would have never bought the Volvo. The feel and drive of this car is great. It seems to be well designed and engineered. The interior is luxurious, and the car handles great. The 4Motion system which is really the Audi Quattro system is very responsive. I look forward to many great years with this car.

A Very Good Car - Update
By Mark-- Boston on 09/02/07 05:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Now > 4 years into ownership and at 108,000 miles, I thought I'd update my review. I still like this car a lot. It remains reasonably reliable with only fair fuel economy ( although I've been getting 24-25 MPG on the highway lately). Cost of maintenance has been relatively high, but I do drive a lot, so I feel it has been quite acceptable. Engine (V6) is running smooth and not burning oil. I'm thinking of driving it until 200K or until the cost of repairs gets too high (I've done the TB and WP at 85K). I'm still overall satisfied with the car and service I've been getting. I've had two electrical problems. Fuel pump died at 60K (recall) and driver's seat heater died (expensive, but needed fix).