Used 2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

GREAT sedan.
By kory

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car last January and I've been really impressed so far. The fuel economy isn't great, but if you use premium unleaded (which your supposed to use) you should see about 29mpg hwy and about 20 city. Car looks very euro which is a plus. 2003 is the last year they stopped making the classic European style and they started making them look more like an electric razor on wheels. 2003 is the best year for this car!

Favorite Features

blue and red indigo interior lights. moon-roof with a lot of setting. memory EVERYTHING. power EVERYTHING. v6 got some zip to it. Trunk space is wonderful with interior space being more than ample. Fog lights. Great sound system too.

Suggested Improvements

maybe a little better fuel economy. not too much to dislike!

VW Pasat Wagon - Is a great Car
By RickF

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2003 VW Passat Wagon with 38,000 in Jan 2006 for $12.9K and drove the car for 4+ years with never a problem. Sure I had to replace the usual stuff Brakes, Tires and the battery, but all in all the 03 Passat was the best, most reliable car I have ever owned. I just purchased a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI to replace it, and I hope it is just as good. I see concerns that VW repairs are expensive, but not really much more than anything else. Find a good local VW Mech, stay away from the dealership 4 repairs, $100 per hour labor can add up fast. Also, if you cannot change the headlamp on one of these cars (others complaining), you have no business under the hood, it is a 2 min job.

Favorite Features

Power, Ride, Comfort, Handing, Love it all. I cannot say anything bad about this car. OK one thing bad, VW Replacement keys/key fobs and key fob programming is too expensive, way too expensive.

Suggested Improvements

Premium Fuel is always a downer, but when the car only holds 15 gallons of gas, the net additional cost of a tank of premium is only about $3 over regular so that's only about the cost of 1 extra gallon of gas and I respect all my cars more than to run regular so it is no big deal.

VW - Never Again
By Millenium

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Since I purchased this car 6 years ago, it has been in for repair at least 4 to 10 times per year, every year (on top of the regular oil changes). Always some electrical problem or oil leak. In the first 3 months all four tires had to be replaced. While the people at the dealer were always friendly and cooperative, they were not forthcoming with detailed answers about any of the mechanical/electrical problems.

Favorite Features

I used to own a VW Golf, and the Passat handled just as well. Really liked it. Also the size of the car was great.

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy a VW. The electrical problems are incessant. The backseat is very difficult to pull down. The heating system never worked properly, especially at your feet. At 100,000 miles I had to give the car up because it would cost $2,500 to keep it drivable - that's after maintaining it impeccably.

UnGermanlike Engineering
By Brian

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Worst car we have had for frequent & expensive repairs. Now at 73,000 miles. Since 60,000 we have spent a ridiculous $6,000 on repairs. AC compressor and evaporator $3000,timing belt repair $1400. Brakes $800. Our air bag warning light is now on $400 to fix. VW service told us that after warranty "It's your problem." Mercedes repairs are same or less-less labor charges since better design.

Favorite Features

After seven years it still is quiet- i.e no rattles etc.

Suggested Improvements

VW should stand by product and stop lying to customers about reliability.

Wolf in Sheeps clothing
By Andreas

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've only had my Passat one month so I wont comment on reliability. This car has everything; power, style, innovative features, comfort, I could go on and on. I love the exhaust resonance when I start it up and the fact that you can open and close all windows with the key in the door and the rain sensing wipers and the headlight sprayers and the fastened down floormats and of course the tiptronic. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Monsoon stereo, awesome power, tiptronic, exterior and interior style, automatic climate control, blue and red dash illumination

Suggested Improvements

Handling is pretty good but could be better, more interior storage would be nice