Used 2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Loved it for 7 years
By happy

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the station wagon new. I previously owned an M3 BMW and this car has the road feel and gives me as much pleasure as the BMW. I have an antique shop and can load anything in the car; Hoosier, table and chairs, things that look impossible to fit even into an suv. The biggest problem with all VWs is the dealerships. The car is wonderful but my dealings with the dealership have been awful. The car has had no problems and I only see the dealer for routine maintenance. The men at the counter are friendly and pleasant but the job always takes twice as long as they say and seem pleased that they only charged an arm and a leg.

Six foot four man fits great into the car. Best ride of any car I test drove. Even after seven years, nothing rattles and there are no odd noises and it is a station wagon!

I feel the car is perfect--I'd like to see a dealer service area as good as Honda. My daughter has a Honda and they are prompt, give you an cost estimate that is real, and call the following day to see if you are still happy.

GREAT sedan.
By kory

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car last January and I've been really impressed so far. The fuel economy isn't great, but if you use premium unleaded (which your supposed to use) you should see about 29mpg hwy and about 20 city. Car looks very euro which is a plus. 2003 is the last year they stopped making the classic European style and they started making them look more like an electric razor on wheels. 2003 is the best year for this car!

blue and red indigo interior lights. moon-roof with a lot of setting. memory EVERYTHING. power EVERYTHING. v6 got some zip to it. Trunk space is wonderful with interior space being more than ample. Fog lights. Great sound system too.

maybe a little better fuel economy. not too much to dislike!

VW Pasat Wagon - Is a great Car
By RickF

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2003 VW Passat Wagon with 38,000 in Jan 2006 for $12.9K and drove the car for 4+ years with never a problem. Sure I had to replace the usual stuff Brakes, Tires and the battery, but all in all the 03 Passat was the best, most reliable car I have ever owned. I just purchased a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI to replace it, and I hope it is just as good. I see concerns that VW repairs are expensive, but not really much more than anything else. Find a good local VW Mech, stay away from the dealership 4 repairs, $100 per hour labor can add up fast. Also, if you cannot change the headlamp on one of these cars (others complaining), you have no business under the hood, it is a 2 min job.

Power, Ride, Comfort, Handing, Love it all. I cannot say anything bad about this car. OK one thing bad, VW Replacement keys/key fobs and key fob programming is too expensive, way too expensive.

Premium Fuel is always a downer, but when the car only holds 15 gallons of gas, the net additional cost of a tank of premium is only about $3 over regular so that's only about the cost of 1 extra gallon of gas and I respect all my cars more than to run regular so it is no big deal.

VW - Never Again
By Millenium

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Since I purchased this car 6 years ago, it has been in for repair at least 4 to 10 times per year, every year (on top of the regular oil changes). Always some electrical problem or oil leak. In the first 3 months all four tires had to be replaced. While the people at the dealer were always friendly and cooperative, they were not forthcoming with detailed answers about any of the mechanical/electrical problems.

I used to own a VW Golf, and the Passat handled just as well. Really liked it. Also the size of the car was great.

Do not buy a VW. The electrical problems are incessant. The backseat is very difficult to pull down. The heating system never worked properly, especially at your feet. At 100,000 miles I had to give the car up because it would cost $2,500 to keep it drivable - that's after maintaining it impeccably.

UnGermanlike Engineering
By Brian

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Worst car we have had for frequent & expensive repairs. Now at 73,000 miles. Since 60,000 we have spent a ridiculous $6,000 on repairs. AC compressor and evaporator $3000,timing belt repair $1400. Brakes $800. Our air bag warning light is now on $400 to fix. VW service told us that after warranty "It's your problem." Mercedes repairs are same or less-less labor charges since better design.

After seven years it still is quiet- i.e no rattles etc.

VW should stand by product and stop lying to customers about reliability.