2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews 3

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
V6 4Motion great buy, but underpowered
By Daniel on 06/12/10 01:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the vehicle with approx 80k miles. Loaded, flagship model in the lineup, everything electric/mechanical still works fine. This car is a tank -- very heavy, very "safe" feeling. V6 feels underpowered. Should've bought the V8. However, 4motion has saved my life twice. No hesitance to load my family (with newborn) into car.

Funnest car I've owned
By not all bad reviews on 05/14/10 23:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought it in 04 with 20,000 miles and now have 145,000 miles on it. Had to replace the coils and brake light switch. Had my own mechanic do the work and got reimbursed most$ because of recalls. Fun to drive. Had a water issue but fixed it myself. If I had mechanic fix it would have gotten reimbursed due to recall. Only issue I have is the headlights are wired backwards so the main lights are on all the time. Also have a heated seat issue but beyond that I love the car. Parts are pricey and the dealers don't have a clue. But have not had the issues these posters have had. Anyone who's borrowed my car liked driving it.

Love my VW
By jshanley on 05/08/10 12:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is truly an amazing vehicle, from the comfort and control to the stability and the safety you feel driving such a powerful vehicle. I purchased my car with 31,000 miles and have since put 9,000 on in less than one year because I simply love driving it!

repair bills 3 inches thick shameful
By Ryan on 04/03/10 20:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is a joy to drive when the check engine light is not on. It has Great hwy mileage. As for the down side I paid 6700 for the car a year ago in very good shape still looks great but have replace over 3000 dollars worth of crap on the car in 5 different visits to the dealership. I got a stack of papers from the previous owners of every service visit and oil change so i thought i would be ok. I was wrong regardless of how well you take care of this car is just a nightmare in random repair bills.

$4000 in repairs in less than a year!
By katie on 02/01/10 14:24 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this at 59,000. Two weeks later it went in the shop. 6 of the 8 ignition coils went bad $620(there was a recall on this so if they need repaired again VW will not pay 4 it). Intake bad, fuel sensor bad, coolant sensor bad. Total that time $1,890.00. Before I bought the car Lithia put $500.00 in what they called basic repairs, 2 weeks ago I put $900 in electrical probs and 2day my valve gaskets blew out of no where (they are new btw) $1,192.00 for those to be replaced. Front light went out and that's $500.00 2 repair bc they have 2 take the front panel off! Oh and the car is now stated to be worth $8,000.00. So in reality I have thus paid $12,982 for a car worth $8 grand

M.T. Driver
By country drivr on 01/10/10 01:24 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

This car is actually my mothers car n we drive n use it everyday. This car has been reliable to us for 4 years n still running strong.we love this car its fast n comfortable especially the W8 engine. I admit getting oil changes are alot but we've learned 2 do our own oil changes. Looked at other reviews n saw many complaints guess were lucky.

Its ok with a W8
By rough driver in MT on 12/24/09 23:22 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

Yea I read a lot of the complaints that these cars have but have you ever noticed that the complaints are only about the 1.8T? We have a 03 W8 passat and were the type that takes a car anywhere. Are passat goes through a lot of abuse because where we live has a lot of rough roads and unpredictable weather and it still runs ok. So if you are going to get one these cars get a W8 with 4motion because these cars are very heavy and do need the extra power and the 1.8T may do the job but stresses the engine to much causing parts to wear faster.

The high cost of love
By Nate on 12/07/09 12:43 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I LOVE this car. I HATE what it costs to keep the love affair going. It is a dream to drive. The interior is beautiful. The features are bountiful. My friendly/local/helpful dealer (Maple Hill Auto - Kalamazoo) is sending his kids thru college on me: 3 sets of rear brakes 1 Torque convertor (mis-diagnosed) 1 $3700 re-manufactured transmission 2 boots 3 batteries 5K mile synthetic oil changes 1 tune up 3 headlights 2 tail lamps 6 wipers I'll be having the timing belt and water pump changed in spring; and the 120K tune up in summer. The car still puts a smile on my face. It has all the features (but no compass) that I want. I get 23.4 MPG overall with no oil burning.

Fun but tempermental
By tim d on 11/09/09 20:48 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car new in 03. Blue Anthracite with Grey Leather. Very well appointed and good performance. Drove great, had the feeling of a safe and heavy car. Had problems that I would not expect of a fairly new car: Short Brake Life, including warped rotors. Bad Breaklight Switch, $900 alternator replacement, a battery that only the dealer can replace (not good when it goes out on Sat. night). 2 bad CV boots. Oil leaks. Improper alignment burned up 2 new tires. Ridiculous price on 40K and 80K maintenance. When this car was getting near 80K, I sold it on Craigslist and bought a Honda. I could not stomach another trip to the dealer for them to find more stuff wrong.

What a Mistake!
By Karen on 10/07/09 14:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

When I purchased this car new in 2003, it was my first experience with a Volkswagon. I now now it will be my last. The first month the starter went and I was without a car for days. I unfortunately continued to bring the car to the dealership and never got out of there under $1000, even for routine service. The recalls have been numerous, and my pants actually caught fire with the lovely heated seats prior to the recall. I recently replaced an axle, and now I am told I may need a new transmission. I don't even have 80,000 mile yet. My back doors do not unlock, the handle came off the glovebox, the alarm no longer sounds when I leave the lights on, the sunroof gets stuck open, ....on and on..