2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews 2

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
GREAT sedan.
By kory on 08/18/10 18:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car last January and I've been really impressed so far. The fuel economy isn't great, but if you use premium unleaded (which your supposed to use) you should see about 29mpg hwy and about 20 city. Car looks very euro which is a plus. 2003 is the last year they stopped making the classic European style and they started making them look more like an electric razor on wheels. 2003 is the best year for this car!

VW Pasat Wagon - Is a great Car
By RickF on 06/06/10 10:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2003 VW Passat Wagon with 38,000 in Jan 2006 for $12.9K and drove the car for 4+ years with never a problem. Sure I had to replace the usual stuff Brakes, Tires and the battery, but all in all the 03 Passat was the best, most reliable car I have ever owned. I just purchased a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI to replace it, and I hope it is just as good. I see concerns that VW repairs are expensive, but not really much more than anything else. Find a good local VW Mech, stay away from the dealership 4 repairs, $100 per hour labor can add up fast. Also, if you cannot change the headlamp on one of these cars (others complaining), you have no business under the hood, it is a 2 min job.

VW - Never Again
By Millenium on 02/04/10 09:09 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Since I purchased this car 6 years ago, it has been in for repair at least 4 to 10 times per year, every year (on top of the regular oil changes). Always some electrical problem or oil leak. In the first 3 months all four tires had to be replaced. While the people at the dealer were always friendly and cooperative, they were not forthcoming with detailed answers about any of the mechanical/electrical problems.

UnGermanlike Engineering
By Brian on 01/28/10 12:50 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Worst car we have had for frequent & expensive repairs. Now at 73,000 miles. Since 60,000 we have spent a ridiculous $6,000 on repairs. AC compressor and evaporator $3000,timing belt repair $1400. Brakes $800. Our air bag warning light is now on $400 to fix. VW service told us that after warranty "It's your problem." Mercedes repairs are same or less-less labor charges since better design.

Wolf in Sheeps clothing
By Andreas on 08/07/09 22:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've only had my Passat one month so I wont comment on reliability. This car has everything; power, style, innovative features, comfort, I could go on and on. I love the exhaust resonance when I start it up and the fact that you can open and close all windows with the key in the door and the rain sensing wipers and the headlight sprayers and the fastened down floormats and of course the tiptronic. I would recommend this car to anyone.

2003 Passat Wagon
By Al on 05/08/09 06:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car looks good and drives well but it lacks in reliability. It burns oil and is plagued with recalls. This is the second VW I own and again to be disappointed.

Love to Drive
By Erin on 05/04/09 23:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I Haven't had this car long but I love it. It is very fun to drive. Good fuel economy for a V8. When driving in the mountains I get between 16-18 mpg and on the freeway 22-25 mpg. I live in the foothills and the power is great going up the hills. I bought the car with 64000 miles and the only problem was whoever owned it last didn't have the rear brakes replaced properly and it broke the rear springs. Not a big deal though. I had it fixed and it runs fine now. Car seats fit well in the back and I have more than enough room in the back to fit all the kids stuff (Pop-up crib, stroller ect)for a weekend trip. Great Car and I have no regrets purchasing it.

Love/Hate Relationship
By DG on 02/15/09 13:52 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I ordered a 2003 VW Passat GLX 4Motion Wagon in 2002, direct from VW. Consumer Reports had written a review that said this was the BEST wagon you could buy, so I believed them and switched from my 20-year relationship with Mazda. At first I LOVED this car, and I especially loved the dealership. Over the years, I have never had a car have so many recalls - and in my case, everything that could break did break prior to the recall - so I've had to have these things replaced twice!

Almost 100,000 and feels like new
By BillFromNY on 11/21/08 18:49 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We purchased this car new in 03 (03 Passat Wagon 5 MT, heated seats, monsoon sound), my wife drove it for 98,000 miles with minimal hassle. She replaced with an 08 Passat Sedan (6 MT not offered in 09). Car has been well maintained by dealer with mainly wear and tear items. Car is a blast to drive. Kind of a sleeper; five year old station wagon that can get up and move. You feel safe and sure footed in all weather and all road conditions. Mileage: I have been getting 26 to 27 in city driving (I do stomp on it a bit but coast steady when I can); I think on highway only trips it gets 32 or 33.

2003 Wagon great car
By BillfromNY on 11/16/08 19:43 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2003 Passat GL Wagon, 5 sp MT. Heated seats and monsoon audio. Great car. My wife drove for 5 years 98,000 miles and we bought her a new 08 Passat sedan (arrest me red) with a 6 sp MT. This car is new to me since I only drove it a handful of times since 2003. Ride: Great Performance: Great Comfort: Great Safety: You feel very secure in a VW Reliability: Fine, we have a very good dealer near by that is a pleasure to deal with.