2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
2003 VW Passat GLS 1.8T
By vw2003passat on 11/29/11 18:07 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2003. It's still with me: 149,500 miles later. I appreciate a car that's made it this far, and is fun to drive, but the VW Passat exacts a price: lots of problems and plenty of expensive maintenance. I've had a bad radio, bad brake light switch, malfunctioning seat heaters, bad airbag light, three replaced CV boots, a bad oil cooler, and the check engine light is on so much I'm surprised the bulb hasn't burned out. Add to this $40 wipers, $70 oil changes, and VW dealerships who are terribly nice while they rattle off a long list of questionable repairs. If you're considering this car or any VW, I highly recommend you stay far, far away.

Eight years later.
By dbcooper13 on 11/20/11 11:17 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my '03 Passat new. I got it because Edmunds and others loved it. And at the time, everyone and their brother had an Accord or Camry. Eight years later, the transmission's gone. Rather than fix it, my mechanic told me to junk it. I'm not hard on cars. But cleaning out my glove compartment, I found all my receipts from work to the car over the years. Totaled approx. $7,400. The car was fine for 4 years, then turned into an absolute lemon. I would not buy another VW. Ever.

Great Car
By vwownerx2 on 10/03/11 13:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought our Passat 1.8T this year with 124,000 for $4000 from a private owner. The car drives like it is brand new;however, we have had to replace the water pump at 135,000 miles and the timing belt. The interior components are top notch, lots of room, just a joy to own and drive. Yes, maintenance is expensive but the car drives and rides like a brand new car. I can do basic stuff like brakes etc... We just bought a 1999 Passat VR6 as a third car and hope we are as lucky. When you buy used cars with high mileage, you have to expect it is like rolling the dice.

My 2003 Passat
By brueggemann on 03/06/11 10:21 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the 2nd 2003 Passt we've owned. My niece had a 2003 also and told me that they had to replace the motor once, and the turbo charger once, and recommended I don't get one. During the 2 years with our first Passat, we had it in the shop 6 times for engine lights. Finally they said it was caused by the turbo charger & wanted $4,300. We could afford the repair & traded it on another 2003 with lower mileage & extended warranty. We've had the this second car for 3 years & the engine light has come on 9 different times. Sun roof opens on its own and the rear windows fall out of the tracks. The car is in the shop now for it 2nd new turbo booster and guess what? No more warranty. GRRRR

Good Solid Car
By Hawk on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I brought my passat in 2003 new. We are know in 2010 and I have not had any problems that I am surprised about. I drive my car on a daily basis. I currently have 97,500 miles on my car, and plan on changing the timing belt at 105,000 to drive the car another 100,000 miles. I plan on replacing the shocks and springs with Eibach brands and I plan on finding some factory 17 inch vw wheels to place on my car. I don't plan on buying a car anytime soon. This car has treated me very well.

seriously fun and reliable
By KH on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

4 Motion, All wheel drive, W8: Overall, it was a great purchase for the price. It is by all means a luxury car. Our only complaint is that the check engine light has been on since the purchase (8 months) and two dealerships and three visits have yet to be able to find the issue, it there even is one. Please note that this car takes synthetic oil so you will pay more for regular changes. Also, it takes a person with higher than average mechanical skills to work on the car personally. So, even minor issues will usually have to be taken car of professionally (the engine is enclosed).

This car is a piece of JUNK!!!
By DosGattos on 09/04/10 02:35 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is a piece of junk. At first it was great to drive and I had no problems. Once the check engine light came on in 2008 I have had nothing but problems. I can't count on one hand the times the coils have been changed. The sunroof opens on its own, speakers are intermittent, doors wont lock, lights burn out, brakes wear quickly,etc.. Right now it is sitting in my driveway because the engine light is on again (2nd time in 3 months) and it shakes horribly and smokes. Don't buy this car!!

'03 VW passat GLS 1.8T Sedan - Great Car
By 2003 VW passat on 07/30/10 20:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had this car since Jan 2009, and this is the most comfortable car I have ever sat or driven in. The only problem I have had since buying the car was a CV boot which was just a month ago and it was torn and needed to be replaced asap. So I recommend to you VW owners to not go to a dealership for ANY repairs including headlight/tail light bulbs & oil changes unless you want to pay up the butt in bills. Find a car mechanic. The only thing I don't like about the car is that the headlight bulbs are hard to find and replace. My advice to VW owners is to not to go to a dealership unless that is your last option! I love my car and I guess I was just lucky compared to other reviews.

I've loved my used Volks
By Lilly on 07/07/10 14:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 2003 GLX 4-motion Volkswagen. I think it looks great, it drives great, and I love the way it handles. Only problem I have in Salt Lake City, Utah is the dealership is the last place I want to take it after having a problem with a recall on the fuel pump--which they insisted I should have them replace since it was free! and two days later when I was going up a hill, the car stopped on me and I had to be towed. I guess the "new" fuel pump was defective. The dealership in Sandy, UT also told me I needed a new serpentine belt when they had just replaced it within a year. I have found an independent repair shop in SLC now that I trust; otherwise I would never want a Volks in SLC, Ut

V6 4Motion great buy, but underpowered
By Daniel on 06/12/10 01:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the vehicle with approx 80k miles. Loaded, flagship model in the lineup, everything electric/mechanical still works fine. This car is a tank -- very heavy, very "safe" feeling. V6 feels underpowered. Should've bought the V8. However, 4motion has saved my life twice. No hesitance to load my family (with newborn) into car.