2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
GLX Wagon
By nuffsaid on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

We were going to purchase another Volvo wagon but liked the Passat better. Handling, turning radius, fit and finish are superior. Just hope that it is as reliable as our Volvo. So far, having some electrical gremlins but nothing major. MPG could be better, especially using premium gas. I would recommend anyone buying a car to go to FightingChance.com and use the fax attack method. I got my car for $199 over invoice and it was a breeze.

Stylish and Practical
By 4petite on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Up to 1200 miles and having fun. Minor little transmission problem that fixed itself. This is my first German car so I'm a little worried about reliability, but it sure is more fun than my Toyota. Great safety features for the price.

Great, except for seat comfort!
By heathera on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Great car!

Great German Marvel
By Jey on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Except for some reliability issues and improperly trained technicians at services, this is a great car. VW must ratify these issues before they become out of hand.

CUSTOMERS BEWARE!!!
By Lava on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I did all my homework before I bought this car and also read message boards to make sure I did not miss anything, well I did. Everyone who has great reviews has relatively few miles on their car (<10,000). I've had nothing but ignition coil problems with this vehicle. It seems that all 1.8T engines in VW and Audi have this problem and nothing has been done to fix it. They just repair it which typically takes 2-3 weeks and tell you that "there's a 90% chance the others will go." On top of that the computer board malfunctions and causes check engine light to come on. DON'T let the exterior and interior attractive design fool you.

Great Car for the Price
By Desert Driver on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

There are very few things that I dislike about my Passt. It looks great and handles great. I have taken the vehicle on several road trips, encountering a variety of weather conditions. It performed flawlessly. The only problem has been with the headlamps that continue to burn out. The dealership has taken care of this and is covered under the warranty.

Great Car while it is working...
By iamddn on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I used to love my Passat. It is great fun to drive and roomy, while feeling extremely safe. Then, I recently started having electrical problems on my 5-month old car. I cannot get through to anyone at any local VW service shops. I repeatedly call but can never reach any person. As directed, I leave voice messages, and despite the receptionists' promises to have someone return my call shortly, no response at all. Ever. Do you research and you will find that VWs owners repeatedly have the same two complaints: electrical problems and poor service. Both these problems have existed for years and do not seem to be changing. I won't buy another VW.

IT DOESN"T RUN
By Patrick on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car after researching on this site and others. We have a little over 5,000 miles on our Passat and it has been in the shop 4 times for igntion coil failures. This results in not being able to drive the car. The last time the tow truck driver stated he had towed over 100 of these one with only 23 miles for this problem. We have had some other minor issues. VW has left us with bottom of the line Toyota as a loner with no date on when we will get our car back as they have not parts to fix it.

Performance and Utility
By Leaseman on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove this vehicle and was impressed with the refinement and build quality of both the interior and exterior. Every little thing seems to have been thought of, including a little hidden hand crank to open the sun roof in an emergency. The performance and handling were smooth and nicely tuned, with only minor nudges as the gears shifted under acceleration. It's easy to see why people are willing to pay a premium for this car.

Oh My God!!
By Not what I Planned on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Timing belt failure!! $5000 and none of it covered under warrantee!?!?!!? Just be wary a regular change at 60K cost almost $2000 and yes the car is not paid for yet!!!!!!!