2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Mixed feelings about this sexy wagon
By brandobean on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this wagon (GLX V6) based on the myriads of hyped reviews on this site, the web, magazines and even consumer reports. I have mixed feelings about my purchase. CONCLUSION: Nice looking and driving car. But overall, it rattles more than my my sister's 10 year old honda accord (see below)! I would not buy this car again. I would buy an accord, but I needed the wagon functionality.

W8
By ursus43 on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I really like this Passat. It is fun to drive, it has power and it is getting better gas mileage than it claims or I expected.

Excellent, sporty, usefull wagon
By nathenso on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Though we have only driven our VW for 3 months, we are exceptionally pleased with the quality, solidity, comfort, and ease to manuver. As far as reliability, we have had no trouble. Time will tell

Ignition coil Problems!!!!
By trbochrg on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Love the looks, love to drive it, but the ignition coils are no good, and my dealership is giving me the runaround. They don't care that my coils are failing, and their only option until March is to bring it in, and replace them with coils they have that will contiue to fail!!! What service!!! Can't even get a straight answer about when the new ignition coils will be available!

Squeaks!!!!
By sayvwagon on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Beware that the brakes will squeak and all you will hear from VW is rinse off the brake dust, to decrease the squeak sound. Right door hand peels but VW will replace. And key will get stuck in the closed position, VW will replace. Gas mileage very poor for running around. I like the way it drives but for the price, STOP the SQUEAK.

Review of 2003 Passat 4 cyl SW
By Ole on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great car. Only problem: dealer refuses to provide any information on basic maintenance [oil changes, bulb changes, etc.] I guess they want to force customers to take the Passat to overpriced service at the dealership.

Completely satisfied and very impressed!
By davidm on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We didn't like any of the Hondas, Nissans, or Toyotas. They seemed to have such poor quality. Then we saw one of the Passat Wagons driving on the freeway. The new versions are so beautiful and practical. So we had to go check them out. We thought we couldn't afford a nice German car, but we were wrong! The hardest part was deciding if we wanted the 1.8T (turbo) engine, or the V6. They were both so quiet and powerful. In the end, our dealer made us a great deal on the Passat GLX wagon. The car is so quiet and luxurious, but also very sporty and fun to drive with the 5-speed.

Completely satisfied and very impressed!
By Davidm on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

not thrilled @ 1st but its growing on me
By Lori & Tom on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Sporty, gives us a confident feeling in snow & bad weather. Getting baby in & out out of the back is impressive, as the rear doors open very wide making access amazingly painless! The turbo acceleration takes a while to get used to, theres a measurable hesitation when you really need it. Door locking system, seems to 'think'. If I pull the hatch release button, then dont open it for a few minutes, it 'thinks' I didnt want it to open, thereby, locking it again! The remote buttons are hard to push with big fingers,& even harder in cold weather. It's been in the shop 3 times for various problems, making us leary on its reliability.

very nice
By durinsbane on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

What can I say, this is one wonderful car. The road noise is next to nothing, it goes great in the snow, the ride is ultra smooth. This car has the feel of any top notch luxury car. The only grip is the fuel economy. I get about 22 miles per gallon average, wish it were better.