Used 2003 Volkswagen Passat W8 4Motion Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

M.T. Driver
By country drivr

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

This car is actually my mothers car n we drive n use it everyday. This car has been reliable to us for 4 years n still running strong.we love this car its fast n comfortable especially the W8 engine. I admit getting oil changes are alot but we've learned 2 do our own oil changes. Looked at other reviews n saw many complaints guess were lucky.

Favorite Features

Interior Dash lights,leather,sunroof, The W8 engine n 4motion

Suggested Improvements

gas could be better

Its ok with a W8
By rough driver in MT

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

Yea I read a lot of the complaints that these cars have but have you ever noticed that the complaints are only about the 1.8T? We have a 03 W8 passat and were the type that takes a car anywhere. Are passat goes through a lot of abuse because where we live has a lot of rough roads and unpredictable weather and it still runs ok. So if you are going to get one these cars get a W8 with 4motion because these cars are very heavy and do need the extra power and the 1.8T may do the job but stresses the engine to much causing parts to wear faster.

Favorite Features

The interior lighting, the seats, fit and finish, 4motion, handling, V8 power!!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing much really jus make them lighter i guess

W8 the car you'll love to hate
By zerowheelspin

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

After picking up the most grown up car I've ever owned, I find my self in a Love hate relationship.. I bought it right off lease with 24k on the clock on 4-13-07. The first of the problems was the ac went it the first week right before a trip to the fl. Keys. The roof trim keeps popping up at the rear over the rear window. Window regulator broke, over head interior light stay on, sun roof opens for no reason, trunk lock broke, head light washer non opp, cv boots leaked, trans torque converter replaced, brake booster vac line. The list goes on I just don't have the time or space. By the way as of 8-31-09 this car only has 49,290 miles on the clock.. If you ask me stay clear of VW! All lemons!

Favorite Features

the w8 engine is really smooth on power, good on fuel(must use 93oct), all wheel drive keeps the tires planted in the wet, hid head lights($90 ea bulb),clean lines, great ride.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to stand behind there product, not in front of customers trying to keep there car on the road. my car has been back 4 times for the same problem and now they want to charge me to repair the sunroof switch and over head lights that malfunction and leave the lights on or open the sunroof!!!!!

By Naomi

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

When I bought the car it had all the features and performance I was looking for along with great all weather traction. That was the good news. Over 6 years it would spend 1-2 months in the shop every year. Electrical problems, replaced fuel senders x2, fuel tank, engine coils, torque converter, cv joints, numerous other recalls and finally the dreaded cam adjusters failed at 43k. Quoted repair cost $8500, and happens to just about every w8. A quick fix is to try an oil flush like k&w, but it is a ticking time bomb of what's going to fail next. Worst reliability I have ever seen, and this holds for other w8 owners I spoke too. We all traded ours in for a more reliable car (just not a VW).

Favorite Features

Great all weather performance

Suggested Improvements

Should be recalled permanently, multiple significant defects that will occur. As the VW service manger told me "get rid of it while you still can".

Great Car
By Tom

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

The 2003 Volkswagen Passat rides and handles great. This one is a keeper.

Favorite Features

The handling is as good as the Audi A6, for half the price