2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
M.T. Driver
By country drivr on 01/10/10 01:24 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

This car is actually my mothers car n we drive n use it everyday. This car has been reliable to us for 4 years n still running strong.we love this car its fast n comfortable especially the W8 engine. I admit getting oil changes are alot but we've learned 2 do our own oil changes. Looked at other reviews n saw many complaints guess were lucky.

Its ok with a W8
By rough driver in MT on 12/24/09 23:22 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

Yea I read a lot of the complaints that these cars have but have you ever noticed that the complaints are only about the 1.8T? We have a 03 W8 passat and were the type that takes a car anywhere. Are passat goes through a lot of abuse because where we live has a lot of rough roads and unpredictable weather and it still runs ok. So if you are going to get one these cars get a W8 with 4motion because these cars are very heavy and do need the extra power and the 1.8T may do the job but stresses the engine to much causing parts to wear faster.

W8 the car you'll love to hate
By zerowheelspin on 08/31/09 19:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

After picking up the most grown up car I've ever owned, I find my self in a Love hate relationship.. I bought it right off lease with 24k on the clock on 4-13-07. The first of the problems was the ac went it the first week right before a trip to the fl. Keys. The roof trim keeps popping up at the rear over the rear window. Window regulator broke, over head interior light stay on, sun roof opens for no reason, trunk lock broke, head light washer non opp, cv boots leaked, trans torque converter replaced, brake booster vac line. The list goes on I just don't have the time or space. By the way as of 8-31-09 this car only has 49,290 miles on the clock.. If you ask me stay clear of VW! All lemons!

By Naomi on 12/28/08 21:21 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

When I bought the car it had all the features and performance I was looking for along with great all weather traction. That was the good news. Over 6 years it would spend 1-2 months in the shop every year. Electrical problems, replaced fuel senders x2, fuel tank, engine coils, torque converter, cv joints, numerous other recalls and finally the dreaded cam adjusters failed at 43k. Quoted repair cost $8500, and happens to just about every w8. A quick fix is to try an oil flush like k&w, but it is a ticking time bomb of what's going to fail next. Worst reliability I have ever seen, and this holds for other w8 owners I spoke too. We all traded ours in for a more reliable car (just not a VW).

Great Car
By Tom on 03/07/07 15:52 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

The 2003 Volkswagen Passat rides and handles great. This one is a keeper.

Sweet rRide
By brianb on 01/05/07 14:49 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a smoooth car. There is power any time in any gear, and the gas mileage isn't bad. Its design will not go out of style. I'll happily drive this car for years to come.

Ohhhh, Yeah!
By Morwal on 10/16/06 16:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

My husband and I bought this car used, sight unseen, with 11,600 miles on the odometer at the time. The color is Pacific Blue and it changes with the light conditions, sometimes showing a green beneath the blue. It is awesome! Driving this vehicle is extremely fun! It's casual around town and easy to open up on the highway. I travel about 500 miles each week, mostly highway (So Cal) and never have a problem getting around the traffic or through the hills. The gas mileage is impressive for an 8-cylinder, I avg. 21-22 mpg! And the brakes are great. I had to test them a few times (they work great)! It has had no problems to mention. The interior comforts including memory seats, stereo/CD, 6-disk CD player (in the trunk), cruise control, etc are great.

W8 Passat Review
By VW Man on 07/19/06 09:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

This car has given me nothing but joy since I bought it. The design is great and the comfort super. Also, for a V8 engine is is remarkably fuel effcient. They are hard to come by, but well worth the extra effort to find one.

W8 is Great!
By W8 Bob on 02/24/06 08:40 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a great car. It has a very solid feel. Mine is a black on black sedan w/sport package and Tiptronic. This is our 3rd Passat. The first 2 were 2000 GLX Tiptronics. It is very enjoyable to drive and has a wonderful motor. I can't believe VW has not found a home for this motor in another VW/Audi vehicle. It has great handling yet a reasonably compliant ride. The transmission is not the best in Drive as it has slow kick- down. Using manual mode solves problem and is lots of fun. It gets good gas mileage considering 8 cylinders and 4000 pounds. Better than my wife's '04 Audi A6 with the 3.0. I know because I drive both cars. It will average 26 to 27 MPG on highway if kept under 65 MPH. I can't get more than 23 to 24 with the Audi under the same conditions.

Annoyed
By rob on 06/04/05 23:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

Car rides great, looks cool, but for a 2 year old car it has gone to the dealership too many times... engine light on, and on, and on.... they can't find the problem, glove box compartment handle broke, cost to replace it $500.00, for a simple handle, they have to repalce half of the dashboard. So broke it will stay... xenon lamps failed, very costly, but no choice, drivers seat broke, fortunately the warranty covered it... bottom line, nice looking car, great handling but will never buy a VW again and I'll get rid of ot ASAP, any takers??