2003 Volkswagen Passat 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

GLS 1.8T Wagon (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Great Car Except... 2 Things Drive me Crazy
By jax20 on 01/04/13 08:35 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm writing this review because I just got backed into. And if the blasted horn were to work when the car is turned off it would not have happened. What I want to ask you Mr. Hans Designor is why must the hatch lock everytime it is closed? How is this a safety feature? And how in the world is it safe to be unable to use a horn when your car is turned off? A paranoid hypocondriac grandmother could not design a more annoying electric locking system.

Classy Ride
By jservin4him on 07/24/12 21:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife and were looking for something that would be a good fit for our growing family of 3. It seems everywhere we go we needed a stroller and had to get groceries and haul a baby bag. A wagon was the best choice for us. We looked between a Subaru Outback, Mazda Protege5, Kia Spectra5, and the Passat. All of which are increasingly hard to find in good condition without having to sell the farm. We picked the Passat wagon and are very please with the good mileage and smooth power of our 1.8T and Tiptronic. Our is a GLS so it doesn't have everthing but is very comfortable with black leather. The Monsoon audio system sounds great! Great car for us so far.

Worst car I have ever owned
By merry8 on 06/03/12 08:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car brand new off the lot, brakes squeeked from day 1, when I inquired with the dealer I was advised "all new car's brakes squeek". I took to an independent mechanic at 8k miles, the mechanic stated my brakes were completley failed, rusted. The mechanic told me the brakes were so bad I should stop driving asap, I had the car towed to the dealer. The dealer b.s.'ed me and told me my brakes were fine, I believed them. They were not, at just over 12k miles, they were gone, dealer said brake warranty over at 12k, they strung me along until the warranty ran out. The dealer stated it was because i lived near the ocean, that is why my brakes failed!!Numerous other issues as well.

I Love my VW but there are problems
By KimBea on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my Volkswagen but there are problems. It's fun to drive, looks good. I love having a station wagon. People often think it's a more expensive car. I did have to get my engine replaced after about 50,000 miles. Fortunately, It was under warranty and I had documents to prove that I had my oil changed properly. YOU MUST PUT SYNTHETIC OIL IN YOUR CAR AND GET IT CHANGED AT 3,000 miles. You have to baby it. I know have to make sure I check my oil and add some. I use a trusted mechanic rather than the dealer. I go to the dealer and buy the part I need (including bulbs) and have my mechanic install it. I save money and time. I'm not sure I would buy another VW, but I love my car.

Horrible quality
By Disappointed on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

German engineering and quality at some point in time was stellar. Not so with this vehicle. In the shop more than on the road and finally have had enough. 7 years of ownership and real pain all along. Great vehicle when it works, but a very expensive experience. Now changing and looking at Asian brands exclusively. How times have changed when a Kia is more appealling quality wise then a VW.

Utility, Comfort, Performance & Value!
By vwdriverCA on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Just traded in our 2001 New Beetle GLS and went home with a 2003 Passat Wagon GLS (Auto)in Silverstone Grey (light grey interior). Beautiful lines, quality build, exceptional use of interior materials/great fit-and-finish (for this price point) and rides smoothly. The Passat wagon gives us the SUV utility we were looking for in a more car-like size, a smooth, quiet ride and better gas mileage. All for a relatively reasonable price. We are very pleased with the decision made to go with the Passat Wagon. We have also been very pleased with the high quality of customer service we have received from our local VW dealer.

Excellent Wagon
By lenjoe on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned this car for six weeks and 4000 miles. In one word "excellent". Very stable at highway speeds and you have no fear of rollover like you would with an SUV. It also give great mileage. On the high ways at 75mph, I get about 31-32 mpg. Overall I have had 26mpg in mixed driving.

Cool Sport Wagon
By KevLion88 on 08/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My partner and I just got a '99 GLS 1.8T wagon in Feb. of this year. Before then I'd always wanted a Passat but had never driven one. Had owned VWs in the past, however. This is not a car to be overlooked. The overall build quality is that of a car costing thousands more. And that legendary VW handling and performance can't be matched in this price class. This is the "GAP" version to Audi's A4 1.8T Avant "Banana Republic" car!

Best Value on Market
By Luigidk on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We drove Camry's, Accord's, Solara's, Saturn's, Volvo's, BMW's and just on a whim decided to drive the Passat. No other car for the money touches this car. Why anyone would touch an SUV over a Passat wagon is tough to imagine. Safety, performance, fun, economics, storage space, handling, not one of these features comes second to any SUV out there. Don't bother with the V6 or W8 - the V6 only offers 20 more HP and worse economy - why spend the money? If you want the W8 - you are looking for performance - get a vette! If you drive this car and appreciate car value at all - it will be a done deal...

Do not buy Volkswagons
By MichelleM on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My experience with my new 2002 VW Passat has been very, very disappointing! Over the 18 months that I have owned the car, I have had to bring the vehicle in for service 7 times for repeated problems, including faulty ignition coils, electrical systems failures and mass air flow system replacements. I have maintained the car, as recommended by the dealership (e.g. maintenance every 5,000 miles) however, have had nothing but problems!. I would not recommend purchasing the VW Passat to anyone. If you are thinking about purchasing a VW Passat and have any questions about my experience, please feel free to email me before you make your decision.