2003 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
My 2003 Passat
By brueggemann on 03/06/11 10:21 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the 2nd 2003 Passt we've owned. My niece had a 2003 also and told me that they had to replace the motor once, and the turbo charger once, and recommended I don't get one. During the 2 years with our first Passat, we had it in the shop 6 times for engine lights. Finally they said it was caused by the turbo charger & wanted $4,300. We could afford the repair & traded it on another 2003 with lower mileage & extended warranty. We've had the this second car for 3 years & the engine light has come on 9 different times. Sun roof opens on its own and the rear windows fall out of the tracks. The car is in the shop now for it 2nd new turbo booster and guess what? No more warranty. GRRRR

NEVER BUY A VW !!!!
By sk on 09/11/09 15:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought vw passat 03 as certified used and had a very bad experience. The only reason I bought the car was because of its sexy interior and exterior(silver). Last 4 yrs, I had nothing but bad experience, done every service regularly, almost every time the vw dealer finds some problem costing anywhere from $300.00 to $1500.00 for that repair or this repair. I was driving probably about 50 miles a month as I had a Honda Civic. After about 3 yrs of use, I was worried and purchased a top vw platinum warranty, but the problems didn't stop nor was any part/problem covered by this worthless warranty - i paid about $2000 for this warranty. NEVER BUYING A VW AGAIN.

Not worth it
By Warren on 08/07/09 19:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I think that the guy who bought his VW from CarMax got the one that I unloaded. It was the biggest disappointment. Had a Rabbit for 16 yrs that was great. Had the Passat for 4 years and hated it for three. Went through 4 sets of brakes, VW said it was normal wear. Hesitation issues, finally the axle was giving me trouble and I traded it in for a Mercury Milan. So far the Milan has only needed $30 oil changes, compared with the $80 oil changes of VW, not to mention premium gas. Got rid of the Passat at 33000 miles and was glad it was gone. Hey Andrews, is yours indigo blue? If so, sorry you got stuck. I don't care however reliable VW gets, I am done with them as a company.

bought new, owned for 6 years, 100k mile
By gphin305 on 06/02/09 13:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought car new in 2002 and just turned 100k miles. Problems...coil packs replaced by dealer when new...no charge. Cars manufactured prior to 7/02 had defects which VW took care of under warranty. Had engine sludge problem at 82k miles which vw fixed for free although technically out of warranty...changed to synthetic oil. car has had regular maintenance by VW dealer which provides excellent service. Car has experienced some minor issues (emergency flasher replaced, headlights burned out, etc.) but overall has been very reliable....no major engine or transmission issues. Very fun to drive, excellent ride on highway, solid German engineering. Bought new 08 last year....10k miles no problems.

Disappointed
By jsmith on 05/30/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love the look, style, and power of my Passat. I was so excited to own a VW Passat. Two months after buying my used Passat, I noticed fluid leaking from underneath the car and smoke coming from the exhaust when I started the car. Transmission fluid was leaking and so was oil from the turbo. Before I could get the turbo fixed my car left me stranded on Christmas Eve. I ended up replacing the engine and turbo, which took 2 1/2 months to find an engine and turbo in good shape. Now a year after buying my car and putting in a new engine and turbo the transmission is slipping and the AC stopped working. I can not wait to get rid of this car!

New Car
By Mertdawg on 05/24/09 23:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had this car for about a month and I LOVE IT. It's comparable to Acura's. I can't wait to put Yokohama Tires on it and fix it up piece by piece! RECALLS are great. A new TURBO has been put in it! You can still smell it breaking in ;) The turbo reminds me of V tec in my '98 Acura 3.0 CL.

Least reliable car I've ever owned
By Derwinator on 05/03/09 18:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Everything you've read about the Passat is true - they are great to drive, look awesome, and have excellent fit and finish. Have really enjoying DRIVING this car, but can't say the same for my experience with its reliability. Hands down the most expensive and problematic car I've ever owned. If it wasn't in the shop for a $85 oil change (synthetic required by VW) it was in for a service recall or a problem like water leaking into the passenger side for the 4th time. Finally, the water pump failed at 78K mile destroying the timing belt and engine in the process. I've had enough and this car was sold as soon as I got it back from the repair shop. I'm in a Honda again and happy.

LOVE my Passat
By SFM on 04/20/09 15:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great car with great fuel economy. Whenever I am on the highway I get around 30 mpg. Mine has 95,000 on it right now and is still running great. The exterior is a little boring but greatly improved on in the new Passats. The body is very sturdy, I have backed into my garage door after slamming the gas and it barely has a scratch. Great for a first car or anyone who is on the road a lot.

Worst reliability I've ever encountered
By Andrews on 04/17/09 12:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car was purchased used with 33,000 miles on it from CarMax. I purchased the extended warranty after reading spotty reliably ratings. Thank goodness I did. This car has been in the shop five times in the past six months. We've got a rental Chevy Cobalt for now. Side note: While the Cobalt is not in the same luxury range as the Passat, I'm extremely surprised at how nice the car is. I'm looking at getting a new Malibu to replace our lemon VW.

problem after problem
By j on 04/13/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car brand new and each yer I have had to pay out at least 2,000 or more a year for repairs, now my car needs a new engine. My car stayed in the shop for 4 mths at a time I have had to put my car in the shop at least 3 time a year