2003 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
2003 Passat Wagon
By Al on 05/08/09 06:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car looks good and drives well but it lacks in reliability. It burns oil and is plagued with recalls. This is the second VW I own and again to be disappointed.

Love your mechanic, you'll see him a lot!
By Steve A on 01/06/08 19:40 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The car has had repeated issues with brakes (5 incidents). Electrical problems with doors, set heaters, fuel pump issue. Repeated Check Engine Light warnings with repeated assurances that it was a computer "glitch". Only after the car was out of warranty did they agree to change the charcoal cannister (at my expense) which resolved the issue that plagued me for a year! I wasted too much time on this car. Would not buy another VW product based on service experience. Rear brakes are too thin and the fuel economy is appalling.

Disappointed with 2003 VW Passat V6 AWD Wagon
By pillar1 on 11/18/05 15:50 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This review comes from a loyal VW owner, however, I've been very disappointed with my 2003 VW Passat V6 AWD Wagon. It is a beautiful, comfortable car but it's been in the shop way too much! My car has had the rotors replaced twice, a bad auto air conditioning fixed twice, and now a bad fuel pump. All of these problems are with a car with less than 35,000 miles. I was very pleased with my former cars a '95 VW Cabrio and '98 VW Passat, but I will look elsewhere for my next car.

Great Wagon can compete with the best
By frederik on 08/10/05 23:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Was looking for a wagon and found it in the Passat. The interest rate and the fact it was a CPO was another great decision. Despite some different opinions on the 2002 models, I believe this is a solid car. I could not get the diesel wagon may be next time premium model will do :).

cool car dude
By mtbstevo on 12/04/04 20:17 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car for a year, and I still get compliments. This car feels like luxury (even though it has cloth seats) is a pleasure to drive. I drove it almost 800 miles in one day, and the miles just flew by (averaged over 80mph no problem). Had a head gasket leak, but VW replaced it no questions. It's been running pretty strong otherwise, although the electronic ignition hesitates in cold temps (<40). The car is very responsive on the highway and almost has that "driving on rails" german feel to it, and the cabin is very quiet (not quite Lexus quiet but close). A little bigger than the A4 but a fraction of the price. Was trying to hold out for new Legacy but no regrets with the VW.

MY car
By Light on 10/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE THIS CAR! This is The most fun to drive. I look for excuses to take highway trips just so I can be in my Passat. Her name is Luna and she's a beautiful Dolphin Grey. I used to think it was weird that guys named their cars...until I met my Luna.I've fallen in love with the American lanscape again and even drove this all the way from Michigan to Santa Fe and back- ALONE- and I'm a 49 year old woman. It makes you feel safe, confident and dare I say it...young! This car screams- "LET'S TAKE A ROAD TRIP"!

Buyer Beware
By M Zolner on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car requires a high degree of maintenance. I have had my 2002 Passat into the dealer twice within the past 6 months for engine issues. I have less than 30k miles on the car. I have spoken with 3 other Passat owners and they all have similar stories. I recommend that you buy this car if you have alot of extra money laying around to dump into maintenance fees.

Love my Passat
By Arlene on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my 2002 VW Passat. Great handling and very quick. But I wouldn't trade it for another car in the world of its class!