2002 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: 190k and still hauling!

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLX Sedan (2.8L V6 5-speed Automatic)

190k and still hauling!
By mrspeedster on

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I do not know why so many people have had bad luck with this car. bought it at just under 100k miles, put on about 85k in the past 4 years (i drive alot of cross country for my work). Made sure to do a carfax and got it checked by my mech before i signed anything. In my case, the car was religiously taken in for maintenance every 4k miles to a VW dealer (one owner). Seems that the previous owner took care of the major "quwerks" the car had (water pump, cv, alt, vacuum hoses, fuel pump) since i bought it: tires (x1), brakes (x1), oil change (x5), injector service (x1), o2 sens (x1) the only thing annoying is that the dash just started showing 50% brightness, and heated seat went out, eh.

my BF loves it <3 leather looks almost new - a few cracks on the wheel and the driver seat, that's it. the body looks like new, too. I make sure to give it a wax and buff semiannually as i have done with all my cars. keeps it pretty :) I haul a jetski alot in the summer (probably 500lbs, 200 on the hitch) and can't even tell something's behind me... til i look at the mpg readout that is. the motor sounds so mean at full throttle, but near silent when cruising. i use the manual knob from time to time, nice to see one that actually obeys you. put 2 10" 1000 watt CerwinVega subs in the trunk, can't even hear them outside the car till you're at 50% volume, which is heart pounding inside

Don't go to the VW dealer, a local shop can do a way better job, provide way better service, at a way better price. something i learned when I needed the o2 sensor and injector service done, and what you can do yourself (oil change, brakes, etc.) do. labor for VW's are higher wherever you go, also true for my sister in law's bug, and my father in law's tureg. if you are going through "querks" my suggestion is just to keep going. they may slow down after the 100k point as they did in my case. (or, when you replace everything that there is to replace, lol)