2002 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Well... Just don't drive it in

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLX 4Motion Sedan (2.8L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Well... Just don't drive it into water
By durasara on

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

First of all. I got the GLX v6 4motion I bought this car when it had 110,000 miles on it. Sounds crazy, but I bought it for 5k. The carfax showed that the previous owner had already taken care of the major maintenance stuff that starts popping up at around 80k. I can imagine, if I had owned the car during that time period I would have thought it was the worst car in the world. But I didn't. All I had to do was normal maintenance stuff. I brought it up to 210k miles and was still driving like new. So fun around corners and handled snow really well. Until... I was going to school and the street was flooded. Yaris and cruze made it through, Passat died. I really will miss this car.

Handling was great, and was always really smooth on the road, but had a firm feel to it at the same time. It's not jaguar or caddy smooth, but smooth none the less. The interior lighting is, bar none, beautiful. The leather is nice and plush, and handled spills well. I did haul with it on occasion to bring a couple jetskis out, and yeah, highway milage dropped to about 16, but it didn't sag the rear end much, and these are 1500lb jetskis. You can just feel the build quality in everything. That's what I loved the most.

I would say a better stereo. The stock stereo is just OK, which is why I replaced it with some infiniti speakers and a small sub. The monsoon amp is more than enough, in fact overpowering. Even with stock speakers it filled the parking lot with sound. The front of the car needs to be just a couple inches higher. There were countless times when I thought I could park up to the curb and ended up tearing off the front fender. It's an easy fix, few allen keys at the grill to take it off and slide it back on, but it was annoying. The v6 motor I felt wasn't enough, it was ok, but a little more umph I thought was needed. Also 21 avg mpg for a 200-ish hp motor is a little low. But it is heavy.