2002 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Long term relationship is work

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T Wagon (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Long term relationship is working out
By Bucky on

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

At 160K, my Passat Wagon is proving to be quite the reliable workhorse. I may have lucked out, I realize, but she has been running nearly flawlessly. Annoying stuff along the way but has been limited to mostly quirky VW stuff. The module in the driver's side door was a MAJOR bummer 3 years ago ($1K+). Was rear ended very hard recently and frame didn't budge. The Ford Focus that hit us -- front end was utterly destroyed. Body guys were quite impressed. And so is my mechanic. The 1.8T is one of the best European engines (sad it's no longer) -- fun, reliable, fairly efficient. I will drive this car into the 200K's -- because I can hardly find another Euro wagon in stick! Again, sad.

Driving control (no 4Motion but my Anti-Slip Regulation handles Northern Vermont snow formidably), visibility, cabin space, build quality, safety, 1.8T manual great power plant, Monsoon sound is better than my Bose system at home -- no joke.

Premium gas and fully synthetic oil adds up the operating costs. Annoying flaws with the little stuff at times, but hey, it's about picture items for me.