2002 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Maxima guy buys VW

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLX 4Motion Wagon (2.8L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Maxima guy buys VW
By Doug on

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Have had five Maximas since 1990. After testing a 2002 Maxima and Passat, my 15- year-old son said "except for sheer acceleration, the Passat is superior in every way." He was right. This car is stylish (even white, which I don't care for), very comfortable (with memory seats, everyone should find a good driving position), has good room for people (abovementioned 6' son or his 6'5" friend sits behind me when I drive) and stuff (easily handles 8'lumber). I have two herniated lower discs in my back, so the heated seatbacks as well as seats are great. Overall, German ergonomics are better than Japanese. Looking forward to the 4-Motion capability in bad weather. Power could be better. Six months...so far so good!

Just about everything...comfort, ergonomics,space flexibility and capacity. Certified pre-owned warranty from VW rated one of the best. NO complaints.

Fuel economy getting 17-18 / 24. I guess that's not bad for an AWD car (heavier), but with today's gas around $3.50 we'd all like a little more-Premium recommended. Power could be better, and there's no aftermarket enhancement available for this car yet. I was concerned about reliablilty, but I have had no issues so far (6 mo. / 6,000 mi.).