2002 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: It all depends

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T Wagon (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

It all depends
By madbiker09 on

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car brand new in 2001 and was very frustrated by the dealer until the warranty went out at 50k. I decided to do all the maintenance myself and have loved it ever since. At 173K the car still drives smooth and fast and gets outstanding gas mileage considering it's size and performance. Like many other people I have had to replace CV, coils (recalled), brakes, timing belt, and a thermostat. Other than those items the car is as I bought it. I'm sure I will see 200k as long as the clutch holds up. At 173k it still spins the tires when I take off fast. :) I think two things helped my car last. For one, I have always used synthetic oil and secondly I always use premium gas.

The Turbo and the 5 speed. I drove an auto and the 5 speed before I purchased and I can say they are not the same car. I also like the comfy seats and the overall interior is a good design.

Better CV joints and boots, my brother has a nissan of the same age and more miles and he never replaced a CV.