2002 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: I got this back in high school

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic)

I got this back in high school...
By rilezz13 on

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I got my black Passat when I was a sophomore in high school. The thing I love most about VWs is the German prestige that comes with the car. Theres something about the way European cars carry themselves as they sail down the highway. I previously owned a 2000 VW Jetta that I absolutly loved. The Passat is technically a superior car, but I think I'll buy another Jetta in the future. If you are thinking of buying one with the turbocharged engine, you MUST MUST use fully synthetic oil and change it every 3 thousand miles.

The heated leather seats. The smooth hum of the engine under acceleration. The AWESOME nightime illumination (seriously, i've never ridden in a car with cooler night time lighting than VWs)...Fairly quiet on the road. The interior is also wearing well and is put together tightly. And the fuel econ is very good (30s on the hwy)

Up until around 2005 (2009 for passats) VW engines used timing belts that must be changed on intervals. This service is extremely expensive and should be considered if you plan on buying one. I personally will NEVER by another car that uses a timing belt design. Its perfectly fine if you keep up with changing them, but I hate the risk of having a belt snap and ruin the engine :(