2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Black 01 GLX 4Motion Wagon
By Willliam Wenzel on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love our GLX 4Motion Wagon. My wife and I both state that we will definitely purchase another Passat Wagon or Audi S4/A6 Avant for our next family transportation. Very pratical and economical. Great looks and wonderful Germanic handling characteristics with a great firm, but comfortable ride to boot. Indigo blue lights at night for the dash are real cool. I also have received several compliments on what a great looking, quality wagon it is. I own an 01 BMW 325Cic convertible for my weekend fun and the German engineering really shows on these vehicles in the quality and the handling characteristics.

VW needs lesson from Toyota
By uz on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

ECT, Coil Pack, Fuel Sensors. These three poor electronic parts will fail on you. I hope you have the longer warranty. Having owned Japanese (Toyota) vehicles for 14 years, I was forced to get a sportier car as Toyota just doen't make a fast car anymore (less you have the budget for a Lexus). Though the turbo has spinup lag, its still quick for a 1.8ltr. Throw in a Wetterauer chip and you have a 210hp 4 cylinder. The car *is* fun to drive. Just not fun to own. Could they be forcing us to lease? Try this: lay down a split seat (rear) and drive around with only the sunroof open. if your ears don't bleed or explode....

VW Passat GLX Wagon
By Lyman on 06/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Around town and intstate use is very comfortable. Use it to tow a Kit car and handles it well. Power is more than adequate even with the A/C running all the time. Long interstate trips of more than 800 miles per day I did not get tired and had fun driving the car. Adequate room for all lugage and wifes wheel chair.

Bang for the Buck!
By ChicagoVW on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife and I just purchased the Passat. We were comparing it to the Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, So far, I can find few flaws with the car. Despite other reviewer's comments on the 1.8T not having power, I have found that to not be the case. While there is a lag in power in a off the line start, when the turbo kicks in, it can throw your head back! Its passing power is excellent. I have one problem though. Having been used to my Toyota Camry, I found myself driving at 85mph when I thought I was going 55. It travels almost too well at high speeds.

good car, needs more guts and 5 speed
By Spike on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great car that is just a little to slow. It'd be nice to get a 5 speed w/ the 4 motion. Another 40 hp would be nice also. Don't know if I'd pay $4,500 more for the W8.

I love this wagen!
By Gray Ghost on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Performance on the 1.8T is excellent, the five speed automatic helps with any turbo lag. Once the turbo kicks in good bye pocket-rocket, the old man's moving on down the road. Lots of room, handles well, safety features, and comfort.

A Rabbit in Wolfsburg Clothing
By AZboarder on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I own several German vehicles. When it comes to transporting our baby and her gear or assaulting the slopes to snowboard or trekking to the left coast to surf our W8 does it solidly and confidently. And by the way, this thing launches and screams to redline!!!

Great family car
By Jian Sun on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

With potent V6 and 5 speed tiptronic transmission, it's a great compromise between my wife (hates 5 speed manual) and me. Switching from Subaru Forester, I'm very impressed by this wagon's smooth, quietness and comfort. It has plenty of space in the back seats and good cago space.

a station wagon this fun?
By spot on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

A solid car with surprising character.Fun to drive and appealing to own.Ive owned much more expensive autos, but this car seems to have more heart.I was even touched when the low fuel light came on a plesant chime sounded and a message said "PLEASE REFUEL".. I cant remember the last time I saw a car ask me nicely?Seriously, I have no regrets and feel very safe inside.

Great car
By GregT55 on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The best car I've ever driven, and it looks great too!