2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2002 Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Sort Reviews by

Black 01 GLX 4Motion Wagon
By Willliam Wenzel

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love our GLX 4Motion Wagon. My wife and I both state that we will definitely purchase another Passat Wagon or Audi S4/A6 Avant for our next family transportation. Very pratical and economical. Great looks and wonderful Germanic handling characteristics with a great firm, but comfortable ride to boot. Indigo blue lights at night for the dash are real cool. I also have received several compliments on what a great looking, quality wagon it is. I own an 01 BMW 325Cic convertible for my weekend fun and the German engineering really shows on these vehicles in the quality and the handling characteristics.

Favorite Features

Cargo/Passenger Room Handling Comfort Great Looks

Suggested Improvements

Cup Holders (Suck & Almost Worthless) A little more power would be nice

VW needs lesson from Toyota
By uz

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

ECT, Coil Pack, Fuel Sensors. These three poor electronic parts will fail on you. I hope you have the longer warranty. Having owned Japanese (Toyota) vehicles for 14 years, I was forced to get a sportier car as Toyota just doen't make a fast car anymore (less you have the budget for a Lexus). Though the turbo has spinup lag, its still quick for a 1.8ltr. Throw in a Wetterauer chip and you have a 210hp 4 cylinder. The car *is* fun to drive. Just not fun to own. Could they be forcing us to lease? Try this: lay down a split seat (rear) and drive around with only the sunroof open. if your ears don't bleed or explode....

Favorite Features

Monsoon sound system rocks for factory. Shifts better than "cheap feel" Japanese shifters. Firm, bolstered leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Is there Quality-Control for the electronics supplier? Or are parts subsampled every 10000? The W8 is out, so that fills the power needs. How about powered seats, and quieter sun roof?

VW Passat GLX Wagon
By Lyman

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Around town and intstate use is very comfortable. Use it to tow a Kit car and handles it well. Power is more than adequate even with the A/C running all the time. Long interstate trips of more than 800 miles per day I did not get tired and had fun driving the car. Adequate room for all lugage and wifes wheel chair.

Favorite Features

Style, inside and out, comfort, stereo, ecomomy.

Suggested Improvements

Storage space, larger gas tank,

Bang for the Buck!
By ChicagoVW

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife and I just purchased the Passat. We were comparing it to the Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, So far, I can find few flaws with the car. Despite other reviewer's comments on the 1.8T not having power, I have found that to not be the case. While there is a lag in power in a off the line start, when the turbo kicks in, it can throw your head back! Its passing power is excellent. I have one problem though. Having been used to my Toyota Camry, I found myself driving at 85mph when I thought I was going 55. It travels almost too well at high speeds.

Favorite Features

Saftey, Quality, Performance, Lots of car for the price (in comparison to other vehicles in its class). Volkswagen has done an excellent job.

Suggested Improvements

Blind spots at rear corners.

good car, needs more guts and 5 speed
By Spike

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great car that is just a little to slow. It'd be nice to get a 5 speed w/ the 4 motion. Another 40 hp would be nice also. Don't know if I'd pay $4,500 more for the W8.

Favorite Features

trip computer, center console/armrest little flip down thingie over the rear view mirror, monsoon stereo

Suggested Improvements

see title. radio buttons on wheel should search presets - not station search

I love this wagen!
By Gray Ghost

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Performance on the 1.8T is excellent, the five speed automatic helps with any turbo lag. Once the turbo kicks in good bye pocket-rocket, the old man's moving on down the road. Lots of room, handles well, safety features, and comfort.

Favorite Features

Comfortable driving for 6'+ drivers. Fun to drive a wagen that will leave people behind at the traffic light or on the merge-ramp.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little less expensive.

A Rabbit in Wolfsburg Clothing
By AZboarder

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I own several German vehicles. When it comes to transporting our baby and her gear or assaulting the slopes to snowboard or trekking to the left coast to surf our W8 does it solidly and confidently. And by the way, this thing launches and screams to redline!!!

Favorite Features

Torguey W8 engine. Solid all wheel drive. Outstanding German quality build. Wicked mileage for a V8. Ergonomic interior.

Suggested Improvements

Offer "sport" package: lowered progressive springs; 18 or 19 inch wheels. Turbo charge each bank of cylinders. F1 type sequential 6 speed shifter. Title car "VroomWagon"

Great family car
By Jian Sun

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

With potent V6 and 5 speed tiptronic transmission, it's a great compromise between my wife (hates 5 speed manual) and me. Switching from Subaru Forester, I'm very impressed by this wagon's smooth, quietness and comfort. It has plenty of space in the back seats and good cago space.

Favorite Features

5 speed tiptronic; wood interior

Suggested Improvements

Stereo and AC control need major simplification; Needs bigger and three (instead of four) buttons control for radio and cruise control on steeeling wheel; Needs bigger sun visor (it does not block the sun from side); Needs shade (tint) on windowshield top area between two sun visors.

a station wagon this fun?
By spot

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

A solid car with surprising character.Fun to drive and appealing to own.Ive owned much more expensive autos, but this car seems to have more heart.I was even touched when the low fuel light came on a plesant chime sounded and a message said "PLEASE REFUEL".. I cant remember the last time I saw a car ask me nicely?Seriously, I have no regrets and feel very safe inside.

Favorite Features

Engine is willing and capable. gas mileage. Fun factor. Price. 5 star crash test warranty.

Suggested Improvements

stock tires are garbage and give me at least a 16" wheel,more storage,better floor-mats,power seats w/memory.

Great car
By GregT55

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The best car I've ever driven, and it looks great too!