2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Family Sport Vehicle
By mds5295 on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We traded a '99 Accord in for the Passat, and we have loved every minute of it. As a previous BMW & Honda owner, this is definitely a German built auto. The highway ride is comparable to high dollar luxury sedans. You will cruise at 95 mph, and have virtually no sensation of speed or wind noise. The interior is considerably quieter than our previous Accord. We opted for the 5 spd GLS with everything except leather, and it reminds me very much of the 535i I previously owned.

Fancy looking cheap build
By ArtVladi on 10/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I think VW earned attention primarily because of fancy looks. The poerformance and build quality are mediocre compared to other vehicles. The interior and exterior scratches easily because of cheap materials used. The car is slow and consumes excessive amounts of premium fuel. It slows down very quickly like a farm tractor as soon as you release the acceleration.

SUPER ALTERNATIVE TO SUV
By mitchw on 09/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

LOADS LIKE AN SUV, HANDLES LIKE A SPORT CAR, STAY AWAY FROM LIGHT CLOTH COLORS

What a deal!!!
By trbochrg on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Passat wagon blew us away on the test drive. We couldn't believe that all of this car was avaialable for the price. We have logged over 5000 miles on it already and it has been great. The only annoying thing is a rattle from the dash. Overall, we are very pleased, the turbo engine is quite peppy, and the cargo area is a great size..

German car at Japanese prices!
By dani on 07/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We were looking for a mid size wagon- not too many options in our american market. We both loved the way it drove and looked. The manual is short, precise, and has short throws. The steering is very accurate and gives good feedback. Disc brakes are very good, handling and acceleration too. We opted for the turbo. It provides good gas mileage, better than adequate acceleration and one of the best 4 cyl. Size was perfect for us. Seating is comfortable for 5 - not as big as the new camry/altima/accord. Luggage room is amazing on the wagon. After 11,000 miles we are extremely happy that we purchase this car and keep getting compliments from people.

Great car!
By VWgirl on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this car in March and we love it. We have had no problems at all with it. It does tend to burn a lot of fuel for the power you get, but that is the only complaint I can come up with.

Best Looking Wagon for the Money
By Jascon on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The only annoyance has been a sound in the right dash connection area that I haven't had fixed yet. Other than that its a good solid wagon.

What's all the excitement about?
By sw on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My Passat was delivered with a defective radio and an indifferent attitude. The dealer in Libertyville, IL was unconcerned about my problems. Besides, the car has lousy gas mileage (burns 92 octane for a V6?) and a mushy ride for a VW. Otherwise, the hard seats and spare interior add up to an uninspired choice for a compact/mid-size car. These cars are nothing special.

Passat Wagon
By RRGDDS on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The car seems to ride and handle great. Love the lights on the dash at night. Seats are very comfortable.

Just a Great Car and an Excellent Value
By Just Tim on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have now had my Passat Wagon for 7 weeks and 2600 miles. At first I was a little leery of getting the 1.8, wondering if it would have enough power. After having had the car for 2600 miles, I would recommend the 1.8 highly!! The car is a blast to drive, the Monsoon sound system is excellent, and the comfort for me (6'2", 215lbs) is just great.