Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Maxima guy buys VW
By Doug

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Have had five Maximas since 1990. After testing a 2002 Maxima and Passat, my 15- year-old son said "except for sheer acceleration, the Passat is superior in every way." He was right. This car is stylish (even white, which I don't care for), very comfortable (with memory seats, everyone should find a good driving position), has good room for people (abovementioned 6' son or his 6'5" friend sits behind me when I drive) and stuff (easily handles 8'lumber). I have two herniated lower discs in my back, so the heated seatbacks as well as seats are great. Overall, German ergonomics are better than Japanese. Looking forward to the 4-Motion capability in bad weather. Power could be better. Six months...so far so good!

Just about everything...comfort, ergonomics,space flexibility and capacity. Certified pre-owned warranty from VW rated one of the best. NO complaints.

Fuel economy getting 17-18 / 24. I guess that's not bad for an AWD car (heavier), but with today's gas around $3.50 we'd all like a little more-Premium recommended. Power could be better, and there's no aftermarket enhancement available for this car yet. I was concerned about reliablilty, but I have had no issues so far (6 mo. / 6,000 mi.).

It's a great car
By Mudbone

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my Passat for almost 2 years. Bought it used with 9,000 miles on it. I now have 38,000 miles on it. It's been in the shop 5 - 6 times. All problems (trans, cv boot, rear rotors, seat motor) were repaired by the dealer an no cost to me. It rides great, gets good mpg with no repeat or nagging problems. It's holding great resale value and looking good. I think I'll keep it a while longer.

Trip computer, driver side memory seating, switchblade key, the warranty - they fix everything - I just got a new battery at 38,000 miles! VW service departments have treated me well.

Regular gas, less expensive keys, better leather on the seats, accessable minor maintenance (can't change a light bulb on this thing), interior multi CD changer.

Love it!
By Marie

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was the first car that my husband and I bought together. I think we will be lyal VW customers for life. The car rides wonderfully, has plenty of get-up-and-go and is VERY comfortable! The cargo space rivals that of most mid-sized SUV's and it gets FAR BETTER gas milage than most SUV's! We are so thrilled with this car!

Heated seats, wagon body style, overall comfort and performance.

We are in heavan! It would be hard to improve upon!

a dream
By emc

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car. i found a 2002 passat with 5000 miles on it. It was the exact color i wanted. I counldn't ask for more. When i sit in it i feel as if i'm in a lexus. It drives exteremly smoothly.I find myself filling up on gas more then in my toyota but, it's worth it. I love everything about this car thus far. It's quiet, and smooth. I like the heaviness of it. I feel safe. It's a great car. I was skeptical about a vw, i always had a toyota; not anymore.

i love the triptonic. It's invigorating. I love the color and the seats. I am short, so the seats move up and down and i feel higher up then in my toyota. I love the lights. The exterior is just beautiful.

the fuel. I wish the tank was more conducive. I also wish that there were more compartments in the front for chage and such. but thats about it.

Minor problems will lose customers
By drat445

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We have '99 Civic SI + '02 Passat wagon. The Honda has had no major issues, meanwhile, the VW: sunroof doesn't respond to dial. The trunk no longer responds to the driver's side button. Alarm sometimes goes off when car is stopped and doors opened. Recently the car floor got very wet... turns out the drainage from the sunroof can get clogged. Apparently the AC is somehow attached to same drainage. Dealer svc mentioned this is a common problem. Seats (cloth because we have dogs) seemed comfortable during the purchase, but are quite painful to some on long-distance drives. IMO a lumbar support location problem. Gear ratios between 1st and 2nd is very poorly spaced. Somewhat noisy, rough ride.

Engine. Manual transmission downshifting is awesome.

In this day and age, electrical problems are inexcusable. Widen out 1st and 2nd gear spacing. A/C is quite slow to cool down.

• SUV