Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Buy it if you have own gas-station
By Umi

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We got VW Passat 02 wagon on 06.2007 in CarMax with 51K miles on it. For the 7 month after we bought it, we spent $1500 for repairs. I got 16.5 mpg per city and 22 mpg on highway. It is the worst car: No Fuel Economy, High cost of maintenance. Bad Electric, brakes, and engine part. I did not expect the bad quality from German car producer, but I experienced it with my Passat. Service cost is too high. After 3 month the problems started with window power and electric cables&wires. Nobody could explain why station wagon "eats" gasoline as a Chevy Suburban. It is unbelievable, but I got 16 miles per gallon in city. I will never buy any VW product and would not recommend to someone else. Just bad

Favorite Features

1. The Interior is comfortable for the long distance driving; 2. It is really big inside and a lot of useful space for the families with the kids; 3. It is really good on highways, speeding, "keeps' road well;

Suggested Improvements

1. Fuel Economy NOW 2. Transmission 3. Timing Belts 4. Make a less labor cost for the repairs 5. Electric wires and cables on the windows and doors 6. REGULAR GASOLINE - NO MORE PREMIUM GASOLINE ANYMORE 7. Suspension system quality 8. Engine parts quality 9. Service place improvements!!!!!

Just lucky
By JUST LUCKY

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After reading complaints from many posts I guess I am one of the lucky owners. I have not experienced many of the problems listed. I have been faithful with maintenance and after 72,000 miles the car still runs well. I do insist on synthetic oil and change it every 5,000. The radio has gone dead a few times and after 6 1/2 years a strip on the window came off. Maintenance is expensive but it has been a good car overall.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.

Incredible Sports Wagon
By Gearhead guy

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've read some of the reviews for '02 Passats, sounds like a bunch of whining to me. I have an '00 wagon, V6, 5 spd, leather, sunroof. Great looking wagon, very roomy. Yes, it's expensive, if you get repairs done at the dealer. Don't be stupid, use an independent garage. I drive 25K a year, and have put 140K on a car that was a 3 yr old lease trade in with 48K miles. So I'm closing in on 190K. I just had the car checked out by a private mechanic. The check engine light came on about six weeks ago. I've been told that the catalytic converter is failing, but the mechanic said "just keep driving it, the car's in great condition". The car still has the original clutch.

Favorite Features

This car flat out moves. 80 mph all day, no problems. Averages 27 mpg overall, 5 spd manual and the 2.8 V6 w/ 190 HP are a superb performing combo. Everyone who rides in this car all say the same thing "great car".

Suggested Improvements

Too bad that VW had to make the new model Passat (2006 through 2009) so much bigger and therefore less reliable. The new Jetta Sport Wagon is the way to go !!!

This car is rubbish
By ben

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought used in 2003 w/ 32,000 miles. First day off the lot vacuum hose broke. Like many others who reviewed engine sludge problems. Had to replace timing belt at 75,000. Car has been in for work 12 times in 36 months even with manufacturers suggested maintenance. Don't ever buy a passat!

3 strikes and your OUT - Never again!
By dww

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

93 Passat GLX, 97 Audi A4 and 02 GLX Wagon, not one could reach 90K mileage. Wagon blew water pump, blew head gasket, bent valves $5,000 to fix. This all happened in 2 minutes on the highway not a chance to save the car and of course is outside of extended warranty. Good bye German Unreliability Hello Japanese Reliability!

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

NONE