2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews 4

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
It's a great car
By Mudbone on 07/27/05 01:51 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my Passat for almost 2 years. Bought it used with 9,000 miles on it. I now have 38,000 miles on it. It's been in the shop 5 - 6 times. All problems (trans, cv boot, rear rotors, seat motor) were repaired by the dealer an no cost to me. It rides great, gets good mpg with no repeat or nagging problems. It's holding great resale value and looking good. I think I'll keep it a while longer.

Love it!
By Marie on 07/19/05 14:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was the first car that my husband and I bought together. I think we will be lyal VW customers for life. The car rides wonderfully, has plenty of get-up-and-go and is VERY comfortable! The cargo space rivals that of most mid-sized SUV's and it gets FAR BETTER gas milage than most SUV's! We are so thrilled with this car!

a dream
By emc on 07/18/05 07:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car. i found a 2002 passat with 5000 miles on it. It was the exact color i wanted. I counldn't ask for more. When i sit in it i feel as if i'm in a lexus. It drives exteremly smoothly.I find myself filling up on gas more then in my toyota but, it's worth it. I love everything about this car thus far. It's quiet, and smooth. I like the heaviness of it. I feel safe. It's a great car. I was skeptical about a vw, i always had a toyota; not anymore.

Minor problems will lose customers
By drat445 on 01/02/05 15:26 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We have '99 Civic SI + '02 Passat wagon. The Honda has had no major issues, meanwhile, the VW: sunroof doesn't respond to dial. The trunk no longer responds to the driver's side button. Alarm sometimes goes off when car is stopped and doors opened. Recently the car floor got very wet... turns out the drainage from the sunroof can get clogged. Apparently the AC is somehow attached to same drainage. Dealer svc mentioned this is a common problem. Seats (cloth because we have dogs) seemed comfortable during the purchase, but are quite painful to some on long-distance drives. IMO a lumbar support location problem. Gear ratios between 1st and 2nd is very poorly spaced. Somewhat noisy, rough ride.

Great car, lots of costs
By cmzimme on 12/25/04 18:24 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I am finally at the end of my lease with my Passat wagon. My car has been in the shop numerous times for various problems; i.e. electrical, engine problems, minor things like bulbs burning out and the brakes needed to be replaced at 25K miles! To add insult to injury, my local VW dealer has ONE certified repairman so many times I had to wait for up to 2 weeks to get my car into the shop. Bottom line is that I took a lot of time researching cars when making my decision and unfortunately VW did not live up to my expectations. This car is expensive all the way around; repairs, gas mileage, etc. Be cautious when purchasing this car.

Nice car, want another one
By trbochrg on 11/24/04 14:59 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love the car, i bought it new and i now have over 32,000 miles on it. I love the overall looks of it. Wish i had gotten the 5 Speed, The Tiptronics can be entertaining, but it definately isn't as fun as a manual. A couple of recalls, ignition coils, Transmission computer upgrade, and gas tank protector...service has been very good at my dealership South Shore VW in Hanover Mass. I would give their service dept an 8 out of 10 for my experineces, although i have noticed while waiting for my service to be completed that others aren't having as great a service... Biggest complaint, i am trying to buy another VW, but no one seems to want to call me back, hello!!!

nice but troubled
By peterdh2000 on 09/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

beautiful car, unreliable at best. replaced instrument panel 2x, headlight switch 2x, dimmer switch, climatronic, radio didn't work for 1 month, died after sitting for 1 week from bad battery, both headlights burned out at the same time, broken ashtray, bad mpg on 91 octane. great in snow, classy and smart looking, but with serious issues. thought a german- built would be better, but sorely mistaken. plus, dealer bordered on incompetent, took at least 2x to fix any problem, then tried to tell us 3 weeks before loaner car available. nice try, we got an enterprise that same day. after 20+ visits, service advisor acted like it was first problem.

Perfect family wagon
By driver in Atlanta on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car new and have loved it. The ride is very smooth and the car just feels solid - very nice on the highway. Leather seats are well worth the extra expense.

Used car test: 2002 VW Passat GLS Wagon
By carb5 on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased a CPO 2002 Passat GLS 1. 8T Wagon in April of 2004 for a cross-Canada trip heading west from Ottawa to Vancouver Island then North through Dawson Creek B.C. (mile 0 of the Alaska Highway) and further north to Great Slave Lake (above the 60th Parallel) and back. The trip totalled 17000km and took 205 hours according to the trip computer. The Passat swallowed all of our gear and never complained through a daily average of 6 hours on the road at speeds anywhere from 30 to 75 mph. We averaged 36mpg over the full distance in 32 days. Nothing went wrong. A flawless trip in a car that left me extremely impressed. I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.

Never Again!!!
By saglugger on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you insist on buying a Passat, stay away from the 4 cylendar. We have had more problems with this car in two years than I have had with my '96 corolla in 9 years. We had to have it towed twice for ignition coil failures. The passenger side seatbelt broke and it took 2 weeks to get it repaired. Then several trips to the dealer for the check engine light which dumbfounded the technicians. The final straw came on the 25,000 mile service when they told me the rear brake pads and rotors were 90% worn and rusted. AT 25,000 miles!!!. $350.00. The dealer did repair them on warrenty but only after I threatened to get a second opinion. Hmmmm.