2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
I hope you are a mechanic
By DJW on 02/23/09 16:16 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

V-6, 5 speed. Gets great gas mileage - 26 in town, and 33 hwy. Leather interior still looks new. However, when things go south, they go quickly. Keep an eye on CV boots over 60k. At 70k, the whole top of the engine started leaking, and after 2 re-do's of the valve cover seals, they still leak. Shocks shot at 30k. Headlights go every 10K until I disabled the DRL's. Electronics in driver's door shot. Coating on interior peels. Sunroof is possessed. But - I won't sell it because the new Passat looks Japanese, nothing this good looking gets mileage like this, I still get comments on how unique and cool it is, so overall - if you are a mechanic - you can't go wrong!

Keep Looking
By rocky on 01/24/09 22:17 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've now owned 2 passats now and what a joke! I fell in love with my first one (2000 model) and I although I loved it, thought I may had just gotten a "bad" car. After consistent repairs, I decided to try another newer version. I got a 2002 and same thing; if one things not messing up, it's another. The car looks good and goes fast, other than that, it offers nothing but a waste of time and money. I am very sad to have to report this!

Lotta car in a small package
By Stan on 12/26/08 19:02 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

We've had this car for 4 years and I'd love to find another just like it! My wife is a home health nurse in the hills with plenty of snow to push. She feels she can go anywhere she wants with the all wheel drive and I'm not sure that she can't. When the weather is questionable, we take the Passat and leave my Sierra 4WD in the garage. Regular maintenance is all we have done with no unexpected cost.

115k and Nervous
By solerider on 12/20/08 17:06 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

All I hear about this car is for the most part contrary to my experience. It's my wife's car, but I am the car buff. She bought CPO and it does have repairs early on that I am not accustomed to, being a Honda/Acura owner - things like control joints, axles, water pump - all went in advance of 100k (Honda's need brakes/tires and nothing else until 100k) and yes these repairs were significantly more expensive when compared to a Japanese car (30-40%), but overall it is a great ride sporty/luxury family sedan. Again, I am nervous because we have dumped some coin into it, so we are about to trade it in, but overall we've had a good experience with the car.

Never Owning a VW Again!
By luckymeblp on 12/03/08 21:07 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car new in 2002 and now am at 82,000. Have had issues with headlights constantly burning out, leaks in the carpet causing mold, the sand colored cloth interior dirties easily and is impossible to clean. The rubber coating on things peel, the tint peeled the first year, things break off all over the place, the sunroof opens randomly on its own and nearly all of the dash has shorted out at one point. It is incredibly expensive to have anything repaired or replaced (which happens quite often). Also, having it repaired at the dealer is astronomically pricey, so just prepare to pay a lot for anything to be fixed... and mechanics hate to see you come in b/c its difficult to fix.

worst car ever
By worst car ever on 11/27/08 18:00 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I will never buy a VW again. Ever since I bought it I had nothing but problems. After a month or so glove department latch broke and from there everything just went down hill. I spent over $6,000 just maintaining this car. Overall the worst car I have ever owned.

Run away!
By Cheesehead in TX on 11/24/08 13:58 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Well, this was an experiment in "Premium German Engineering" that will never be repeated in my life. This is the absolute worst of the 20 cars I have owned in my lifetime. Cannot even remember all the broken things in only 8 months- catalytic converters, brakes, oil leaks, coolant leaks, broken power seats, inferior leather seats. And scheduled maintenance! What a joke- $2k for brake work, $2300 for cats, $1500 for timing belt + getting rid of PLASTIC water pump. Run away, do not even consider one of these used. If you have to have a VW, but it new and sell it before it's 4 years old. Period.

Routine Maintenance is the Key
By AHK on 11/16/08 08:57 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Engine sludge? You MUST use full synthetic oil. I've had oil changes done at Jiffy Lube - you don't have to go to the dealer. Is the car perfect? Definitely not. Dashboard buzzing - yes. Flaking interior paint - yes. Turbo lag? Hell yeah. Overall, however, it's a very good car.

Disappointing End
By Ryann.05 on 10/09/08 06:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is such a beautiful car, it makes me sad to sell it. I love the luxury, the comfort, the smooth drive. I bought it in 4/06 at 94k mileage. It's now at 124k and i've made many many expensive repairs. I just can't afford to take it to the mechanic every other month anymore. And my mechanic, quite frankly, is fed up with working on it. It's a manual and so fun to drive, especially when the Turbo kicks in. i get roughly 28- 32 mpg.

Money pit to repair
By RonS on 09/26/08 16:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

Having owned a w8 now for 6 years, let me just say you have better have the income to repair this car. First, repair is extremely expensive at the dealer ship. For instance, replacing one driving headlight cost $400, bulb alone was $212. Wow. Pray you never have an electrical issue because they are extremely expensive. Engine sensors are extremely high to replace. Not only does the part cost a ton, $100 to well over a 1k each for the part and then a huge labor bill to put it in. I will never buy another vw for the this very reason, repair and maintenance are very expensive. So much for German engineering. Is designed to make repair shops (dealerships) wealthy.