Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Designed to Hemorrhage your money
By fedup2002

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car bleeds you!!! Donít let its beauty & handling sway you. I bought this car in 2005 w/ 4,600 miles. I loved it & had no problems with it. But since Jan. 2007, I have averaged $1K per/yr. in repairs - axles, brakes, check engine light(3-5x), dead batteries (2-3x), dead headlights(2x), dead radio (2x), & dead car(nothing worked, not the alarm, not the clock, not the engine). The recalls didnít cost me money but they cost me time. Repairs I paid for + repairs via recalls = lost time. Many times I went to work late, left early, or took the day off to fix my car. Even if you had a money tree just for the costs of fixing this car, itíll cost you time. This car isnít worth the trouble!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive! Heavy car with great handling. Comfortable seats. Great sound system. Beautiful blue interior lights.

Suggested Improvements

Dependability and Quality. VW should match the car's dependability and the quality of its parts with the beauty and the handling of the car. A car is supposed to help you not hurt you. There's no excuse for an unreliable or non-dependable car.

Loved this car
By Chuck

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had one of these cars and i absolutely loved it. No problems other than a headlight going out (which the dealership fixed for free) In 2006 when the lease was up my wife wanted a new car so we got a Mazda 6 GT it didn't last a year before $15.000 engine repair. I changed to an Asian car because they are supposed to be so reliable, now I am looking for another VW.

Favorite Features

Ride quality, interior and exterior styling, cooled glove box that actually works, 10 speaker stereo,

Suggested Improvements

Next time keep the car, loose the wife.

Like the ride, hate the repairs
By CW

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really enjoy driving the car, it handles well and gets good mpg (ranges from 25-32 mpg) big downfall to this car is terrible reliability, it seems as though I am in the shop every 3 months! purchased the car with 30k on it now it has 105k. in last 75k miles I've had to repair the following: fuel lines from tank to engine, major fuel leak inside engine compartment (got reimbursed due to recall) 3 times replaced cv joints 4 coil modules transmission mounting bracket power window regulator headlights constantly burn out - at least 5 times in last 4 yrs timing belt water pump mass air flow sensor will be trading in soon, tired of dumping $ into repairs!!

Favorite Features

turbo, good handling

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY

German Enginerring...HA!!
By jmooney000

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I am the original owner a 2002 Passat 1.8 Turbo and while we love the way it drives it has been a money pit! Glove box latch broke, hood strut broke, check engine light comes on at least every 3-4 months and its always a vacuum line or O2 sensor, ignition coils have been replaced twice and now the heater core is clogged and neither the dealer or VWoA will step up and admit its a known problem and fix it. I agree w/ others on this site: do not I repeat, do not by a VW. I also own 2 Honda's and a Toyota and all 3 are very reliable and easy to work on yourself so you don't have to take it to the dealer all the time. Do yourself a favor and stay away from VW!!

Favorite Features

Look, performance, handling

Suggested Improvements

Build a quality car or be willing to fix it when it breaks

Great to drive, expensive to repair
By Renee

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Still love to drive the car, but frequent problems now at 7 years. Motor mounts, catalytic converter, CV, top of engine leaking oil despite 2 repairs - list goes on. Also weird electric issues throughout life of car - display showing avg mpg started malfunctioning after a year, 2 yrs ago sunroof started opening/closing on its own, etc. Even the hood open hydraulic died (no prop stick on a VW) - an $80 repair. No way will this car make it to 10 years and my next car won't be a VW based on this one's reliability. Bought new w/ regular maintenance - all done at a VW dealership.

Favorite Features

Love the interior design - obviously laid out by folks who love to drive. Every control is intuitive. Also love the heated seats!

Suggested Improvements

Just the pesky mechanical stuff! Would suggest avoiding the black leather seats if you live in the South -- very sweaty in summer heat.