Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 345 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Same issues EVERYONE has...
By Disappointed

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought "certified used" ran great for the extended warranty period. Heater stopped working 1yr after purchase, brought it to the dealer only to be told it was working fine, charged $200 for the "labor". Heater still blew cool air but I couldn't pay more money so I just made do. 3 yrs later, check oil pressure warnings consistently 1k-2k miles before the suggested oil service. I put so much oil into this piece I have to keep 5qt jugs in the trunk, NO LEAKS! Where is it going?! All 4 ignition coils burnt out! Never got recall notices but after calling THEM was told I qualify. Thermostat stuck open, clogged heater core. Headlamps constantly burn out, replaced all of them nearly twice a year!

I LOVE looks and it is fun to drive when it runs right, great options, affordable price tag, the day I pay it off and can trade it in for a Honda!

A heater that works, REASONABLE repair prices. A company that stands behind their product! These problems I'm having are common, why won't they do anything?

Fantasy - Reality
By utilityowner

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

10/2001 - needed a descent family car/something to take clients out in. Water temp sensor and trunk latch repl under warranty. CV boots tore (those that broke axles didn't inspect their car often) 115k before timing belt service, and a speed sensor. 31mpg @ 62m/h ave. Only complaint was that service departments are bad... independent mechanics offer superior parts and service. Brakes - 1 change on front 2 on rear - i buy cheap tires and destroy them. I drive this car hard and in 8 years in failed me one time( speed sensor wore out at 150k) VW is known for either awesome or horrible cars - but some issues are caused by flawed maintenance- the issue is with your dealer - not the car.

Balanced drive feel - positive response to input in all conditions. GREAT gas mileage - will run on midgrade just fine. Interior is setup well for driving and comfortable.

Better dealer service supervision - had them return car with overtightened oil filter, cross threaded and overtorqued studs and replaced removable studs with permanent replacements on the air dam. Better FRU replacements - had homelink issue - not replacing visor - just ignore it

Designed to Hemorrhage your money
By fedup2002

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car bleeds you!!! Don’t let its beauty & handling sway you. I bought this car in 2005 w/ 4,600 miles. I loved it & had no problems with it. But since Jan. 2007, I have averaged $1K per/yr. in repairs - axles, brakes, check engine light(3-5x), dead batteries (2-3x), dead headlights(2x), dead radio (2x), & dead car(nothing worked, not the alarm, not the clock, not the engine). The recalls didn’t cost me money but they cost me time. Repairs I paid for + repairs via recalls = lost time. Many times I went to work late, left early, or took the day off to fix my car. Even if you had a money tree just for the costs of fixing this car, it’ll cost you time. This car isn’t worth the trouble!

Fun to drive! Heavy car with great handling. Comfortable seats. Great sound system. Beautiful blue interior lights.

Dependability and Quality. VW should match the car's dependability and the quality of its parts with the beauty and the handling of the car. A car is supposed to help you not hurt you. There's no excuse for an unreliable or non-dependable car.

Loved this car
By Chuck

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had one of these cars and i absolutely loved it. No problems other than a headlight going out (which the dealership fixed for free) In 2006 when the lease was up my wife wanted a new car so we got a Mazda 6 GT it didn't last a year before $15.000 engine repair. I changed to an Asian car because they are supposed to be so reliable, now I am looking for another VW.

Ride quality, interior and exterior styling, cooled glove box that actually works, 10 speaker stereo,

Next time keep the car, loose the wife.

Like the ride, hate the repairs
By CW

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really enjoy driving the car, it handles well and gets good mpg (ranges from 25-32 mpg) big downfall to this car is terrible reliability, it seems as though I am in the shop every 3 months! purchased the car with 30k on it now it has 105k. in last 75k miles I've had to repair the following: fuel lines from tank to engine, major fuel leak inside engine compartment (got reimbursed due to recall) 3 times replaced cv joints 4 coil modules transmission mounting bracket power window regulator headlights constantly burn out - at least 5 times in last 4 yrs timing belt water pump mass air flow sensor will be trading in soon, tired of dumping $ into repairs!!

turbo, good handling