2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Really do like this car!!!
By WDW on 02/28/02 20:47 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Had an Avalon (a fine reliable vehicle). Anticipated buying an A6. Researched, test drove, opted instead for a loaded Passat. Only 3000 on the odometer, but so far "lovin dat car!"

Mid-size alternative
By cincinnati kid on 02/28/02 20:28 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The look, the room, the zoom!

Great Car
By fincher22 on 02/28/02 18:16 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

A very good value. Compares very well to higher priced entry level autos such as BMW, Audi, MB, and Volvo.

Best Car out there
By Brad Thompson on 02/28/02 12:54 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

By far the best car on the market today. If you are in the market you should get one soon from Fairfax VW.

Good performance, poor quality control
By ralphie on 02/27/02 14:18 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Every a/c vent makes a various speaking sound and the guage cluster is constantly making rattling sounds despite attempts by service dept to fix. Interior door pull handles rubber rubbs and peels off. Already had door pull handles replaced twice on drivers side.

First love
By Cisco Cerna on 02/27/02 12:42 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased the car the first week it was released. It was love at first sight, the changes to the front head light and rear tail light were nothing less than attractive. On the drive home day turned to night and if I thought the interior was a 7, it jumped over to a 12 once I turned of the lights. Blues radiated from the chrome accented dials and reds surrounded me at every angle.

Great Car
By Clyde on 02/27/02 00:41 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have a little more than 8,000 miles on my 2002 1.8T 5-speed and so far it has been a great car. Great performance and I have been averaging nearly 28 miles per gallon. I also looked at an A-4 but couldn't see spending the extra money for the Audi. I like the Passat's styling and the interior quality is excellent as is the Monsoon sound system . My only complaint is the cost of routine service at the dealer, but there's always Jiffy Lube.

What fun!
By Joecool on 02/26/02 16:04 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've been driving this card just a month and I love it. My husband, who bought a Camry 8 months ago is now jealous. It is a very peppy car to drive. I am afraid I'll get my first speeding ticket. Like anything else, it's not perfect. There isn't much storage space and the gas mileage as well as the cost of premiun gas is also an issue. Nevertheless, it's fun!

Great Car!
By MaxChan on 02/26/02 13:29 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Expected to be underwhelmed, but the car more than met my expectations. On the highway, drives smooth - like butter! Highly recommend.

Oil burner
By ldanks on 02/21/02 08:31 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I fell in love with the awesome look and style of this car. (Fatal Mistake). From the day I drove off from the dealership, I've grown to dislike this vehicle. Above 45 mph it shook, and vibrated. After 970 miles it burned 1 quart of oil. The dealership advised me that was within the proper range of oil consumption. I was told that it comsumes oil rather than burns oil..go figure. I have a Nissan Sentra with 210,000 miles and has never burned a drop of oil. Needless to say this is my last VW product. It is a beautiful car, but the beauty in this car is truly only skin deep. I leave it in the garage and drive my nissan, saves on oil. Hope to unload the Passat soon...