Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Not that great of a car
By Anthony15

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I am sick of spending so much time in there service department. More powerful engine is needed, To many electrical problems. Better service department is needed. Build the cars with less flaws, So far my car took in water from the engine 4 times, the back brakes went after 4000 miles...the check engine light goes on every other month...and the list keeps going.... Build better cars, and to VW take more pride in your work!!!!!

Favorite Features

The blue lights in the dash, nice wood trim, nice sound system, good leather

Suggested Improvements

more powerful engine needed, better electrical system is needed this car, and THIS IS A MUST.......Better Service department

Don't Buy One
By neal1

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My Passat has been a horrible car to own. Problems include: 02 sensors (stranded 600 miles from home and could not get the car for 2 weeks), major water leak in front dash, headlights burn out every 2-3 months, car sputters, remote key does not work, 2 major recalls (vw wont replace ignition coils until they break- good luck being straded on the side of the road 4 times- hope you have life insurance) driver seat belt would not work- took 5 months to get the part.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

stop selling cars in the US- a class action suit needs to be organized...read the 1000s of reviews on the web...all complain of the same problems- and lack of vw service/willingness to stand behind their cars

A Great Cruiser
By wonderful

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have put 37000 mostly highway miles on this car in 22 months. A quiet, powerful, fast, smooth cruiser on the open road; an A-4 in disguise on crooked roads. Best sedan I have ever driven. Reliability has been excellent. One stop fixed all four coils on a bad running engine. No other problems. Looked at high-end Accords, Camray, etc., but they are way behind in class and pesonality to the Passat.

Favorite Features

Build quality, comfort, handling, miliage, power, ride, styling.

Suggested Improvements

Bad behavior for VW on the bad coils. I will not continue to buy from a company that won't fix an engine- stopping problem quickly and with little fuss. I quit buying American cars for this kind of behaviour.

radio problem
By Very Happy

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 1.8T is by far the funnest vehicle I have ever driven. No problems to date except for the radio. I FIXED RADIO BY WIGGLING THE FUSE! What a surprise on the dash lights when first drowe at night. Did not know they were so pretty when I bought the car.

Favorite Features

Console Lights, Handling and Space. Don't forget the Tiptronic.

Suggested Improvements

Clear Coat Bug Shield!!!! Console compartment needs more room. Basically not functional as is.

Monster car!
By J. R.

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Passat in Nov, 2001. It is an awesome car! There was a musty odor comming out of the AC vents initially but now is gone. There were no other flaws with my purchase. This month they replaced the ignition coil and added a safety shield to the rear fender ( both recalls). Neither of them ever gave me problems. For the looks, lower the car and add larger wheels and you will see the difference. I strongly recommend the car.

Favorite Features

VW service is very good! I am impressed. The car feels well built. AC is great. Radio system is very good. Trunk is nice size. Rear seat is extremely comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Improve mileage and lower the price on dealer sold accessories!!!