Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Great car!
By djbaumga on 08/30/09 15:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I was looking to purchase this car, all my research told me this car has engine problems. I got this with a brand new engine and have run nothing but Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. As a result, this thing has been incredible! Only routine maintenance has come up. Great fun to drive and very stylish as well.

somone who likes their passat
By vdub4life on 07/31/09 01:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my passat in 05. i have always like volkswagens but if your are going to buy one you must get the previous service records. this car hs been great very fun to drive and great in the snow. traction control, abs and, 6 air bags. very safe. synthetic oil is expensive but cleaner and better and premium gas burns cleaner and is better for the car. i have had no problems or dislikes. if you take car of it it takes car of you. o yea if you use nicer bulbs, they last longer don't buy the cheapest its not always the beat deal

Money Drain: $5000.00 in 6 yrs.
By ileangoodnite on 07/30/09 21:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved this car. I believed the seller: "it might last 12-15 years". Excessively expensive routine- maintenance, + $ thousands for major system failures. In 6 years, they sucked $5,000.00 for: Sensors x 5; Ignition coils; radio; left axle; right axle x 2; gas hood strut; water pump; left rear door lock x 3; motor mounts (1 month before engine failed & replaced under recall); intercooler; heat shields;(recalls) rib belt; timing belt; homelink dropped off...fix cost= $500; tires replaced x2; 'transmission range switch' cleaned ($101.00. Following week: same switch replaced: $1,000.) Upholstery frayed; paint peeling; Disappointing. Stressful. Friends and I will not buy another VW product.

This car hauls ACE!
By B-bop on 07/17/09 06:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Thank heavens for my warranty. These cars are fun but fickle. At about 45,000 miles, the car had a very long case of the "flu." It was certified used, so I milked that warranty for over $4,000 in repairs. The maintenance can be an expensive hassle, though.

Best car I ever bought
By chris on 07/12/09 04:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 22,000 and five years old. Hands down the best purchase I have ever made. This car truly enjoys driving 80mph. This is my wife daily driver and used when we go on vacations and is just alot of fun to drive. We have had no problems at all and regret paying for the extended warranty since we never got to use it. This was our first VW and we're looking into buying another and getting ride of my Dodge.

Don't Buy a VW Passat!!
By ihatevws on 07/07/09 17:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Just in case anyone out there still needs convicing that VW and their Passats stink when it comes to reliablity,... I had the window partly rolled down the other day and closed the door. After which the entire window fell into the door after breaking off the cheap plastic clips inside the door. Nice! VW wanted over $400, but took it to a window place and they got it down for $250. Have had the car not start which cost $600 to replace some crazy electronic part. Front axle just broke, numerous lights have stopped working and now I need a timing belt and water pump. I'm praying to sell it before having to do more work on this piece of junk. Too bad since it's such a good looking car:(

I love my Passat
By LOVE MY PASSAT!!! on 05/22/09 06:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love my Passat. I've had it a little over 2 years and no problem what so ever. Maintenance is the key, Keep it up and the car will live forever!

Beautiful but very unreliable car.
By Eddy on 04/26/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I was attracted by the interior and exterior design of the Passat. Very beautiful car, feel like luxury compare to a Camry or Accord. But the biggest problem is reliability. There has been too many recalls on this car. I have had all kind of problems with this car. Oil pump, Vacuum hoses, Water pump, OIL SLUDGE...etc This car was apparently not built to last long. Even the mechanic at my VW Dealership recommended that I get rid of the car. I am very happy I did. Buy this car only if you love to visit the mechanic every month and spend a lot of money on costly repairs. If you choose to buy it, sell it before the warranty expires.

Sad to give it up
By NJ Mom on 04/23/09 19:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought our Passat new and overall loved the car. We traded it in today on a more reliable vehicle. It was hard to part with the car, and we are sad that buying another Passat was not an option due to reliability and maintenance costs. This was a very safe and fun to drive car, but we should have cut our losses at five years. The MIL (check engine light) was on too often and often resulted in a $500+ repair. We did keep up with normal maintenance and full synthetic oil, but it still hurt to make repairs in excess of $1k when the value of the car wasn't much more.

Passat not as good as honda or nova
By cpassat on 04/18/09 15:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

1st new car ever bought, came from a Chevy Nova with 280K miles, Mazda Protege with over 225K miles, my VW has died at 142,000 miles from the dreaded oil sludge issue. Didn't have any other major problems, car stills looks good, all the interior parts work well, but not willing to spend $5K plus to fix it, admit to now being disappointed in the car. I will not buy another VW.