2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2002 Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Sort Reviews by

Nice looking/performing MONEY PIT:(
By MIke T

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this as a lease return with about 20k on it. Now has 68,000. Great motor fun to drive with good power for size. Be sure to be close to a repair shop though. I have replaced a bad water pump(plastic?) and timing belt at 40k. 2 sets of front brakes and rotors, one set of rear calipers with rotors. Both cv shafts, lower ball joint, tie rod end. 2 coils and 2 sets of plugs. I will never own a light beige cloth interior, impossible to keep clean, peeling paint inside, plastic trim breaks easily. 3 sets of tires in 68K. Brake booster froze up(fixed under warranty recall). Now the temp gauge is going out. Enough already! No more VW's. Honda/Toyota may be boring but you won't go broke.

Favorite Features

1.8T engine has great power for size. Great handling. Great styling.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability need to step up to the level of even a domestic car, my chrysler has had way less problems and has twice the mileage. Interior need to be more durable. Wagons are going to be used to haul stuff(kids/pets) and it just can't take it. Scrap the plastic water pump design, even new is plastic.

7 year review
By bjss

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought new (3/02), have approx 72K miles, no major problems. Several recalls, but dealership tended to quickly/efficiently. Had the Timing Belt job completed at 65K, did not want to risk going to 95-105K as VW suggests in manual. Very fun car to drive. Based on some posts, I guess I have been lucky. But I do follow the maintenance schedule religiously and use Synthetic oil!

Favorite Features

Solid, safe, heavy car. Very nimble and quick. Gas mileage is great (20- 22 city, 27-30 Hwy). Turbo provides the power when you need it. Monsoon stereo is first class!

Suggested Improvements

Leatherette hard to clean, headlights do not provide enough long range vision + bulbs burn out quickly. Homelink in another place other than visor (too flimsy). Lower maintenance costs.

long distance cruiser
By john bowles

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this car after 911 primarily because we wanted to avoid airport hassles when traveling to Albuquerque and Ashland OR;ten to fourteen hour journeys by car. This car has more than filled the bill! Fast, comfortable and totally unstressed with loads of room for fishing rods, skis;you name it. At seven years it has had very few problems (CV boots, headlights) and still feels as good as the day I picked it up. Nothing in the new car market looks this good so I'll keep it 'till it falls apart; no sign of that yet. Only down side is fuel consumption-big torquey diesel engine would make the perfect car.

Favorite Features

solid feel,quiet,fast,heated seats.Still looks good.

Suggested Improvements

better fuel economy,larger fuel tank. revert to standard headlights

6 year review
By bjss

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wagon running as good as new....yes, there have been a few recalls and maintenance can be expensive ($75 oil changes). But maintenance is the key to these cars. I would never buy Used unless I had copies of all oil changes, etc...

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, good pick up when needed, great stereo (Monsoon)

Suggested Improvements

Full leather (vs. 'leatherette'), headlight distance is poor

An actual POSITIVE Passat review
By Ob1wan

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am posting to give a favorable thumbs up to my Passat Wagon, which I purchased new in June 2002. Sure it has had a few mechanical failures, and the usual maintenance any car needs. But other then that it's been very reliable, practical and fun to drive. A couple of the issues I have had relate to CV boot joints tearing (normal) and the passenger seat heater going out. I agree that headlight bulbs do burn out more often then normal and that regular maintenance prices are a bit higher. However, it has been and still is a blast to drive, I have great fuel economy (27- 30 mpg, being a wagon is a huge bonus and it beats the compact SUVs or Crossovers any day of the week. It's a keeper until the end.

Favorite Features

5 spd manual tranny, cargo capacity, fuel economy, roomy front seats with seat warmers.

Suggested Improvements

headlights that can be turned off during daylight or bulbs that last longer, reat seat warmers, windshield wipers that work better in all weather.

Buy it if you have own gas-station
By Umi

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We got VW Passat 02 wagon on 06.2007 in CarMax with 51K miles on it. For the 7 month after we bought it, we spent $1500 for repairs. I got 16.5 mpg per city and 22 mpg on highway. It is the worst car: No Fuel Economy, High cost of maintenance. Bad Electric, brakes, and engine part. I did not expect the bad quality from German car producer, but I experienced it with my Passat. Service cost is too high. After 3 month the problems started with window power and electric cables&wires. Nobody could explain why station wagon "eats" gasoline as a Chevy Suburban. It is unbelievable, but I got 16 miles per gallon in city. I will never buy any VW product and would not recommend to someone else. Just bad

Favorite Features

1. The Interior is comfortable for the long distance driving; 2. It is really big inside and a lot of useful space for the families with the kids; 3. It is really good on highways, speeding, "keeps' road well;

Suggested Improvements

1. Fuel Economy NOW 2. Transmission 3. Timing Belts 4. Make a less labor cost for the repairs 5. Electric wires and cables on the windows and doors 6. REGULAR GASOLINE - NO MORE PREMIUM GASOLINE ANYMORE 7. Suspension system quality 8. Engine parts quality 9. Service place improvements!!!!!

Just lucky
By JUST LUCKY

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After reading complaints from many posts I guess I am one of the lucky owners. I have not experienced many of the problems listed. I have been faithful with maintenance and after 72,000 miles the car still runs well. I do insist on synthetic oil and change it every 5,000. The radio has gone dead a few times and after 6 1/2 years a strip on the window came off. Maintenance is expensive but it has been a good car overall.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.

Incredible Sports Wagon
By Gearhead guy

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've read some of the reviews for '02 Passats, sounds like a bunch of whining to me. I have an '00 wagon, V6, 5 spd, leather, sunroof. Great looking wagon, very roomy. Yes, it's expensive, if you get repairs done at the dealer. Don't be stupid, use an independent garage. I drive 25K a year, and have put 140K on a car that was a 3 yr old lease trade in with 48K miles. So I'm closing in on 190K. I just had the car checked out by a private mechanic. The check engine light came on about six weeks ago. I've been told that the catalytic converter is failing, but the mechanic said "just keep driving it, the car's in great condition". The car still has the original clutch.

Favorite Features

This car flat out moves. 80 mph all day, no problems. Averages 27 mpg overall, 5 spd manual and the 2.8 V6 w/ 190 HP are a superb performing combo. Everyone who rides in this car all say the same thing "great car".

Suggested Improvements

Too bad that VW had to make the new model Passat (2006 through 2009) so much bigger and therefore less reliable. The new Jetta Sport Wagon is the way to go !!!

This car is rubbish
By ben

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought used in 2003 w/ 32,000 miles. First day off the lot vacuum hose broke. Like many others who reviewed engine sludge problems. Had to replace timing belt at 75,000. Car has been in for work 12 times in 36 months even with manufacturers suggested maintenance. Don't ever buy a passat!

3 strikes and your OUT - Never again!
By dww

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

93 Passat GLX, 97 Audi A4 and 02 GLX Wagon, not one could reach 90K mileage. Wagon blew water pump, blew head gasket, bent valves $5,000 to fix. This all happened in 2 minutes on the highway not a chance to save the car and of course is outside of extended warranty. Good bye German Unreliability Hello Japanese Reliability!

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

NONE