Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Its like a beautiful woman :) HIGH MAINTENANCE
By lovetodrive1

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my passat's looks but sadly it ends there :( It drives like a dream when it is not in the shop. If I can say one thing it would be to find a mechanic who knows something about a VW. That has really been my problem. It has been one expensive thing after another but I am hoping now that I have got all the bugs out it will take me on down the road. I did find a good mechanic finally but seriously this thing has had issues at only 80K that cars with 200K don't even see. Motor mounts, oil pressure problems, AC problems, I have replaced every single hose on the thing some even twice and I keep up on the service faithfully. There is a reason rich people own these cars!

If you know how to work on car, this is for you
By saneesh8

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Initially by spending all the money on repairs at stealership, i thought it is bad car. But once i started doing by my own with help from www.passatworld.com, not expensive. Or get information from the above website and find a trusted cheap mechanic. If you follow the simple rules like 40W full synthetic oil every 5k, change ATF at every 60K (Castrol import ATF is fine - from AZ) clean combi valve once in 2 yr, will run longer than a Toyota or Honda. Once you cross 100k, gaskets, hoses, Fuel filter and Timing belt (at 80K). Overall reliable car, decent MPG and most importantly safe. Premium fuel is bad side and don't need to use OEM expensive parts. My car close to 100k going strong..

Strong,feels safe compared to Toyota and Honda, tight steering, decent gas mileage for heavy car like this, decently tuned turbo

Seems VW does not do quality assurance for US model. Things which can fail are 1) Ignition coils 2) Didn't told users to use Full synthetic 40 weight oil from starting to avoid sludge 3) SAI pump fails because of bad design (can put a sensor to check combi valve to avoid expensive repair). 4) No mandatory interval to change ATF (which should be at 60k). Seems new models have more issues than this one.

Good Review for Great Car!
By carguy133

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car is great. Exceptional handling, acceleration and design. 4motion system is great in all weather, especially in my town where salt is not used and the roads become solid ice and snow from December until late March. About 110k miles, full synthetic oil and the engine (not exaggerating) sounds new. Only problems (as with all cars) AC leaks because I neglected to turn it on enough and tiny beginning of rust on one fender, but will be covered by 12 year rust warranty. Other than that zero mechanical problems, which may surprise some. I don't baby the car at all, but stay on top of it very well (oil, filters, etc.). Honestly, take care of this machine and it will take care of you.

Favorite features: very smooth V6, 4motion, auto climate control, Monsoon sound, Tiptronic (although manual would be nice), very warm heated seats (5 settings). This car is all around a great machine.

Few improvements: a low setting for wipers would be nice (now only auto, med, high), better placement for climate control buttons, bigger fog lights (more effective), folding rear seats (not available in 4motion- electronics maybe?), 2.8 turbo? could be nice... Other than that, no complaints

I got this back in high school...
By rilezz13

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I got my black Passat when I was a sophomore in high school. The thing I love most about VWs is the German prestige that comes with the car. Theres something about the way European cars carry themselves as they sail down the highway. I previously owned a 2000 VW Jetta that I absolutly loved. The Passat is technically a superior car, but I think I'll buy another Jetta in the future. If you are thinking of buying one with the turbocharged engine, you MUST MUST use fully synthetic oil and change it every 3 thousand miles.

The heated leather seats. The smooth hum of the engine under acceleration. The AWESOME nightime illumination (seriously, i've never ridden in a car with cooler night time lighting than VWs)...Fairly quiet on the road. The interior is also wearing well and is put together tightly. And the fuel econ is very good (30s on the hwy)

Up until around 2005 (2009 for passats) VW engines used timing belts that must be changed on intervals. This service is extremely expensive and should be considered if you plan on buying one. I personally will NEVER by another car that uses a timing belt design. Its perfectly fine if you keep up with changing them, but I hate the risk of having a belt snap and ruin the engine :(

Love my Passat 8 years later
By Don

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was and still is my first VW. I love the way it handles, even now at 133000 miles on the odo. Original clutch. Only issues were with ignition coils and radio(replaced under warranty years ago) and a power window regulator (last week). Last week, VW also replaced the trunk lid and remote trunk release -- there was a rust spot at one of the license plate lights and this moisture had caused the trunk release to malfunction. My dealer experience has always been excellent. Sure you pay more than for an independent, but the guys at Hunt Club VW (Ottawa Canada)understand the value of customer service. My next car will be a VW.

quiet solid ride, very supportive and heated leather seats. Great highway mileage.

replacing things like light bulbs ought to be easier