2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Smart people's SUV
By Laszlo on 04/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have been buying VWs for about 10 years.Ilove them they are the best cars out there for the money. This car drives, handles and looks like a $40k car. (I spent 24k on mine,everything,but leather and automatic.)

THIS IS A 4?
By WSK on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When we first test drove this vehicle, i couldn't believe it was a four cylinder. After that, I couldn,t justify the extra $2300 for the six. The car has been fantastic. Why would anyone pay all the extra money for the Audi? The build quality is absolutely first-rate; it gives my CLK cause for alarm. ( just kidding MB )

good stuff
By jbaril on 03/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Silver w/black cloth and weather pkg, as well as luxury pkg. Stereo's great, the dials for it are too fussy. comfortable, beats the crap out of Accords, Camrys, etc. They're all boring.

2002 VW Passat GLX Wagon!!!
By trissa on 03/16/02 02:07 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Loved the new simple but classy style of the wagon. Moved up from a '99 Jetta GLS after becoming a loyal VW driver.

Best overall in its class
By Rock on 03/13/02 14:31 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Looking for SUV/AWD wagon? The 4motion came out on top for value in my book. SUVs are unsafe and too expensive on gas. Plus they cost more than the VW when loaded. The VW handled way better than the Outback VDC, although the Subey had a little more power. But for the same price, go for the better styling, more fun to drive, better resale of the VW. I did.

Buy It!
By Axman on 03/11/02 09:14 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Best valuse for the money. I compared it to a Volvo s70 Cross Country and the Passat simply blows that Swede away in every category. The s70 drifts all over the place whereas the Passat is glued to the road.

Nice car, not a German camry or accord
By sprajapati on 03/08/02 14:57 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Alternate for BMW 325 or Mercedes C 240. Better than Camry, much better than Accord.

Electrical issues - poor reliability
By Christian on 03/06/02 23:41 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My first passat (1998 model) was replaced through the "lemon law" because engine would stall suddenly and the dealer could never solve the problem. This happened a half dozen times, every couple thousand miles on average. I thought I was unlucky, and gave another chance to this second passat. Now, I'm well on my way to going to the lemon law again, because of an oil pressure problem that the dealer cannot fix (after three attempts...). This is too much to be a coincidence.

Excellent value
By Dom on 02/28/02 16:36 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely one of the best automotive values available today. I considered Audi A4, Acura TL, BMW 325xi, Jaguar X-type, Volvo S60 AWD and bought a better car for less $. Best kept secret out there - I have a wolf (sports car) in sheep's (family car) clothing with a wonderful touch of luxury. I have 5k miles on the car and zero problems.

Awesome Car!
By passatlover on 02/26/02 14:59 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I hated to become a station wagon mom, but I tell you, I love this car! We have a beetle, too, and I love them both!