2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Likes/Dislikes
By MrHenson on 05/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My local dealer wanted an extra $500 to ship the exact car I wanted to my area so I drove 200mi to get it myself. I saw no reason to spend the extra $ for a heavier, less economical 6 cyl (getting a chip) However I think it blows that I can't get power seats with the 4cyl And the radio reception SUCKS!! Ive been to my local dealer 2x and they claim its fine. Other than that, the car ROCKS! Performance is great, it's the best-looking wagon on the market (except perhaps the unattainable Audi RS6 Avant), I can fit all three dogs plus three friends in it, and its comfortable as hell. Just need to get that chip, Koni shocks, sport exhaust....

love this car
By happy passat guy on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Best car I ever drove/owned. The wagon has so much room. Who needs a SUV with all this room? The price is thousands less than a BMW 5-series wagon, and the details are just as nice as my co-worker's Bimmer. In fact the leather seats seem better quality to me, and all the standard equipment that's extra on a BMW really impresses me.

Practical and fun to drive
By austin on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I moved in to this car from a 1996 Infiniti I-30, primarily for the safety features. Very comfortable right, tight handling, all the features of a luxury vehicle. It stacks up against my brother's BMW wagon for much less money. It's the best wagon in its class.

Affordable German Luxury
By jagat1 on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What else can I say...This is the Best Value play among mid-size cars available out there. The 1.8T engine is a true VW modifiers dream... A real fun to drive car!

This car rocks
By robmmorris on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car. It came with every feature my wife and I wanted, including side air bags. The cloth seats are extremely comfortable, even on day-long rides. It handles well. It is rock solid in nasty rain. I could go on and on. Let's just say that if I were trading my Miata, I would get another Passat Wagon.

Schweet W8!
By multi-valve on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

The Passat W8 is an excelent buy compared to the 540i and the E430 4matic (which simlarly equipped cost $15,000 to $20,000 more). Although the car is very similar to the GLS, keep in mind that even the GLS is a very good buy as far as fit and finish, general quality, and features go. The W8's fuel economy isn't that bad either, in fact, it's very similar to the original VR6's fuel economy...not too shabby, an 8 with the fuel economy of a 6.

A Pleased New Owner - GLS Wagon
By JBR on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was originally considering the Jetta GLS with the Lux/leather options. Then I drove the Passat and I had to go for it. The base model suits me just fine. I really LOVE this car. The 5 speed is fun to drive and the Monsoon sound is the best. It feels like a much more expensive car. The ride is rock solid. I had an Audi 200 (1990) before this and feel that I traded up to the Passat. The amenities are plentiful. I especially like the lights under the door panels which illuminate upon exit and entry. I obviously, highly recommend this vehicle.

best vw wagon
By markL on 04/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

i purchased this wagon only afew months ago but looked at audi a-4 avant, saab 9/5 wagon and volvo. i special ordered this car. no one had reflex silver with grey leather and i!m glad i did , beyound this being a fun car to drive, vw put the new audi 3.0L V 6 in this wagon when they built it. big difference between the 2.8, 190HP. and the new 220HP in this car. only thing missing would be xeonon headlights.

Love the car!!/ Leary of the reliability
By delia21 on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love everything about my 2001.5 V6, manual! Its looks, the solid feel, the blue lights, even the rear lights. One of my daytime running lights has burned out after 10 months. Seems waaay too early for that. One concern is that the pillar gets in the way when I'm try to see, change lanes on the front, right side. Drove a Celica for 13 years. I just hope I can come close to this on my Paasat.

comfortable
By Wayne Fang on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

It is very comfortable and fun to drive. It is one of my best decision to buy Passat.