Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Unreliable yet built like a tank
By weatherman07

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Passat wagon - I'm trying to sell it. I have no idea why I decided to subject myself to another used VW after my experience with the first one. Don't get me wrong - new/nearly new (3-4 years old) VWs are great cars; they're reliable, luxurious..etc. But after they hit the 5 year mark, they go to hell. I heard a saying once that a check engine light is a beacon to let you know you're driving a VW, and that certainly rings true. It's always on and always very expensive to fix. The car does feel very solid and is good in the snow. The engine is slow to accelerate and gets mediocre gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Paint color (Colorado Red), heated seats, sunroof, AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Should be way more reliable (German engineering my ass!), faster, better gas mileage.

Never will i own another VW again!
By alwillia

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car thinking it would be a good way to save on gas and still able to haul my mountain bikes around and travel, was i wrong! To mention some of the problems... Tire went flat then the spare went flat, the glove box handle broke off, the knobs on the stereo came off, the alarm will go off at random times, the serpentine belt broke and fried the motor, gas cap door wouldn't open, the thermostat in cold weather sets off my check engine light, the hatch stopped opening, oh and to top it all off i have to put premium in the car which then makes it just as much much as my old SUV's to fill up. I have had an 88 Landcruiser and it ran better and was more reliable than this car!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

It can go fast for a station wagon

Suggested Improvements

What can you not improve on this car? You could improve everything on this car to make it more reliable and more user friendly.

8 year review
By bjss

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Still going strong at 80K and 8 years. Recent issue with front motor mounts replaced (leaking) and valve cover gasket. But all-in-all it has been a reliable car. See other reviews (7 year, 6 year , etc..) for more info.

Favorite Features

Turbo, Monsoon stereo, looks, solid build quality

Suggested Improvements

Less expensive routine maintenance.

Marvelous to drive, miserable to own.
By Dennis

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving this car: it is so refined -- beautiful interior, wonderful road manners, responsive performance. Headlights stink, otherwise it's a joy to drive. But... I hate owning this car: despite putting extremely low mileage on the car and performing all scheduled maintenance on the dot, I've had and endless parade of extremely expensive problems. Engine leaking oil in FOUR places (three of them directly onto the catalytic converter, for maximum fire hazard), clogged heater core (no heat), transmission leak & slippage, all three ignition coils failed, brake booster failed. Build quality is vault-like, but component engineering is criminally poor.

Favorite Features

Beautiful interior in sun-beige leather and wood. Beautiful exterior design and color. Perfect size and useful shape. Exemplary balance of performance and luxury. Wonderful tracking. Minimal road noise. Quality Monsoon sound system. Responsive but reasonably economical engine.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights are like a pair of candles and foglights seem to be pointed straight down. VW should reimburse owners for the many expensive problems stemming directly from failed engineering (brake booster on 2002s, heater core and ignition coils on all, etc.)

It all depends
By madbiker09

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car brand new in 2001 and was very frustrated by the dealer until the warranty went out at 50k. I decided to do all the maintenance myself and have loved it ever since. At 173K the car still drives smooth and fast and gets outstanding gas mileage considering it's size and performance. Like many other people I have had to replace CV, coils (recalled), brakes, timing belt, and a thermostat. Other than those items the car is as I bought it. I'm sure I will see 200k as long as the clutch holds up. At 173k it still spins the tires when I take off fast. :) I think two things helped my car last. For one, I have always used synthetic oil and secondly I always use premium gas.

Favorite Features

The Turbo and the 5 speed. I drove an auto and the 5 speed before I purchased and I can say they are not the same car. I also like the comfy seats and the overall interior is a good design.

Suggested Improvements

Better CV joints and boots, my brother has a nissan of the same age and more miles and he never replaced a CV.