2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Unreliable yet built like a tank
By weatherman07 on 10/28/12 20:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Passat wagon - I'm trying to sell it. I have no idea why I decided to subject myself to another used VW after my experience with the first one. Don't get me wrong - new/nearly new (3-4 years old) VWs are great cars; they're reliable, luxurious..etc. But after they hit the 5 year mark, they go to hell. I heard a saying once that a check engine light is a beacon to let you know you're driving a VW, and that certainly rings true. It's always on and always very expensive to fix. The car does feel very solid and is good in the snow. The engine is slow to accelerate and gets mediocre gas mileage.

Never will i own another VW again!
By alwillia on 03/31/11 18:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car thinking it would be a good way to save on gas and still able to haul my mountain bikes around and travel, was i wrong! To mention some of the problems... Tire went flat then the spare went flat, the glove box handle broke off, the knobs on the stereo came off, the alarm will go off at random times, the serpentine belt broke and fried the motor, gas cap door wouldn't open, the thermostat in cold weather sets off my check engine light, the hatch stopped opening, oh and to top it all off i have to put premium in the car which then makes it just as much much as my old SUV's to fill up. I have had an 88 Landcruiser and it ran better and was more reliable than this car!!!!!!!!!!

8 year review
By bjss on 12/24/10 13:19 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Still going strong at 80K and 8 years. Recent issue with front motor mounts replaced (leaking) and valve cover gasket. But all-in-all it has been a reliable car. See other reviews (7 year, 6 year , etc..) for more info.

Marvelous to drive, miserable to own.
By Dennis on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving this car: it is so refined -- beautiful interior, wonderful road manners, responsive performance. Headlights stink, otherwise it's a joy to drive. But... I hate owning this car: despite putting extremely low mileage on the car and performing all scheduled maintenance on the dot, I've had and endless parade of extremely expensive problems. Engine leaking oil in FOUR places (three of them directly onto the catalytic converter, for maximum fire hazard), clogged heater core (no heat), transmission leak & slippage, all three ignition coils failed, brake booster failed. Build quality is vault-like, but component engineering is criminally poor.

It all depends
By madbiker09 on 08/27/10 10:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car brand new in 2001 and was very frustrated by the dealer until the warranty went out at 50k. I decided to do all the maintenance myself and have loved it ever since. At 173K the car still drives smooth and fast and gets outstanding gas mileage considering it's size and performance. Like many other people I have had to replace CV, coils (recalled), brakes, timing belt, and a thermostat. Other than those items the car is as I bought it. I'm sure I will see 200k as long as the clutch holds up. At 173k it still spins the tires when I take off fast. :) I think two things helped my car last. For one, I have always used synthetic oil and secondly I always use premium gas.

Recommended
By 4motion02 on 07/01/10 16:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned the car since new. It has performed well over that time with only routine maintenance required. I would buy another one (assuming it was taken care of) in a minute.

Why I will never by another VW again
By Disappointed on 06/11/10 18:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I didn't review this site before purchasing my 2002 1.8t Passat Wagon (really sorry I didn't because this review will sound like many of the others).The car does look sweet,turbo was pretty awesome,& the car is stacked w/ features (sunroof, pw, pl, tiptronic, cruise, lots of space). We purchased the car with under 80000 miles. Less than 1 month into owning it the a/c compressor/clutch quit, the glove box handle fell off, a bracket under car came off, the heat quit working, the tiptronic would not switch from manual to automatic, instrument panel was 50% dim, transmission started to make a grinding noise when decelerating, 2 vent slats for the a/c fell out & paint started to peel frm inside

Conflicted
By Jaimy on 05/24/10 09:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought the car new, and planned on keeping it for a long time. I love the way the car drives. However, the gas mileage is not great. (18 AVG. around town, 24 avg on hwy) Especially when you have to use premium. So far, we've replaced several ignition coils, two water pumps, two temp.sensors, and a timing belt. The front bumper keeps coming loose. And now the car makes a suspicious clunking noise. It's most likely the axle. And the radio has issues. We will be replacing it very soon.

It's German
By RedBull59 on 03/26/10 04:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Having been w/ my parents when they bought this new, I have watched my dad and myself change the oil every 5000 miles, and will say you MUST use synthetic, i use castrol synthetic, and I have never had the majority of problems these people speak of, after coming from an old s-10 and porsche 944 the lights shine bright for me, and I have never had oil sludge. I replaced the timing belt, but that was preventive maintenance, and the fuel system has never given me a problem. I did have to replace the idle regulator, but it's whatever. This car has been great for my parents, and now me, it has taken numerous cross country trips, and never given us a problem. I would highly recommend a VW.

Long term relationship is working out
By Bucky on 03/10/10 18:33 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

At 160K, my Passat Wagon is proving to be quite the reliable workhorse. I may have lucked out, I realize, but she has been running nearly flawlessly. Annoying stuff along the way but has been limited to mostly quirky VW stuff. The module in the driver's side door was a MAJOR bummer 3 years ago ($1K+). Was rear ended very hard recently and frame didn't budge. The Ford Focus that hit us -- front end was utterly destroyed. Body guys were quite impressed. And so is my mechanic. The 1.8T is one of the best European engines (sad it's no longer) -- fun, reliable, fairly efficient. I will drive this car into the 200K's -- because I can hardly find another Euro wagon in stick! Again, sad.