2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Fantasy - Reality
By utilityowner on 02/16/10 13:50 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

10/2001 - needed a descent family car/something to take clients out in. Water temp sensor and trunk latch repl under warranty. CV boots tore (those that broke axles didn't inspect their car often) 115k before timing belt service, and a speed sensor. 31mpg @ 62m/h ave. Only complaint was that service departments are bad... independent mechanics offer superior parts and service. Brakes - 1 change on front 2 on rear - i buy cheap tires and destroy them. I drive this car hard and in 8 years in failed me one time( speed sensor wore out at 150k) VW is known for either awesome or horrible cars - but some issues are caused by flawed maintenance- the issue is with your dealer - not the car.

Great to drive, expensive to repair
By Renee on 08/30/09 15:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Still love to drive the car, but frequent problems now at 7 years. Motor mounts, catalytic converter, CV, top of engine leaking oil despite 2 repairs - list goes on. Also weird electric issues throughout life of car - display showing avg mpg started malfunctioning after a year, 2 yrs ago sunroof started opening/closing on its own, etc. Even the hood open hydraulic died (no prop stick on a VW) - an $80 repair. No way will this car make it to 10 years and my next car won't be a VW based on this one's reliability. Bought new w/ regular maintenance - all done at a VW dealership.

This car hauls ACE!
By B-bop on 07/17/09 06:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Thank heavens for my warranty. These cars are fun but fickle. At about 45,000 miles, the car had a very long case of the "flu." It was certified used, so I milked that warranty for over $4,000 in repairs. The maintenance can be an expensive hassle, though.

Beautiful but very unreliable car.
By Eddy on 04/26/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I was attracted by the interior and exterior design of the Passat. Very beautiful car, feel like luxury compare to a Camry or Accord. But the biggest problem is reliability. There has been too many recalls on this car. I have had all kind of problems with this car. Oil pump, Vacuum hoses, Water pump, OIL SLUDGE...etc This car was apparently not built to last long. Even the mechanic at my VW Dealership recommended that I get rid of the car. I am very happy I did. Buy this car only if you love to visit the mechanic every month and spend a lot of money on costly repairs. If you choose to buy it, sell it before the warranty expires.

I hope you are a mechanic
By DJW on 02/23/09 16:16 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

V-6, 5 speed. Gets great gas mileage - 26 in town, and 33 hwy. Leather interior still looks new. However, when things go south, they go quickly. Keep an eye on CV boots over 60k. At 70k, the whole top of the engine started leaking, and after 2 re-do's of the valve cover seals, they still leak. Shocks shot at 30k. Headlights go every 10K until I disabled the DRL's. Electronics in driver's door shot. Coating on interior peels. Sunroof is possessed. But - I won't sell it because the new Passat looks Japanese, nothing this good looking gets mileage like this, I still get comments on how unique and cool it is, so overall - if you are a mechanic - you can't go wrong!

115k and Nervous
By solerider on 12/20/08 17:06 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

All I hear about this car is for the most part contrary to my experience. It's my wife's car, but I am the car buff. She bought CPO and it does have repairs early on that I am not accustomed to, being a Honda/Acura owner - things like control joints, axles, water pump - all went in advance of 100k (Honda's need brakes/tires and nothing else until 100k) and yes these repairs were significantly more expensive when compared to a Japanese car (30-40%), but overall it is a great ride sporty/luxury family sedan. Again, I am nervous because we have dumped some coin into it, so we are about to trade it in, but overall we've had a good experience with the car.

Great Car - If you can afford it
By Vee-Dub on 05/19/08 12:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I'll just add my voice to the many other reviews saying the same thing. It's a wonderful vehicle--it's just prohibitively expensive to maintain. My story: between October 2007 and May 2008, I've repaired/replaced the alternator, A/C hoses & drier, CV boot, brakes, timing belt and water pump, major tune-up, and several other items. In total: about $5300. The primary reason for this cost is labor, in fact, about 55-60% of every repair is labor. I believe this exorbitant cost stems primarily from the fact that they have to practically dismantle the front of the car to access anything. In short, this car is for you if you don't mind pouring truckloads of money into it to keep it running.

2002 GLX V6
By JOHN on 05/03/08 02:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought vehicle with 22k miles I have put 30k more on in the past 8 months. 52k miles I have replaced tires, brakes, axles (twice on one side) heater core, vacuum lines, air pump. Nice vehicle when it's not in the shop.

Very Frustrating
By EH on 11/25/06 15:31 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used three months ago with 58,000 miles on it. I have since had to replace the heater core, the CV boots (both sides), and replace some major parts in the transmission due to a leak. The dealer I bought it from replaced the CV boots and fortunately the transmission repairs were covered on my service contract, but I had to pay for the heater core, which was about $1,000. I talked to VW of America and the VW dealership about the the concerns but they were of little help. The features are nice, but the car is completely unreliable. I am going to trade it in within the next month because of all of the problems I have had and do not recommend a VW to anyone.

When you rent
By d c on 04/01/06 15:53 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

When you rent a car as often as I do, you know you have a good car when you get back home and start your own car up. I rent newer cars, and their fit, finish and performance don't compare to my VW Passat GLX. And the service! My car's armrest started to wear; no sweat, the dealership (in Colorado, no less), happily replaced it. Right now I am considering an SUV because of a potential job change to the Midwest. I doubt seriously if I will trade in or sell my Passat. It's a classic!