2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Well... Just don't drive it into water
By durasara on 08/19/13 23:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

First of all. I got the GLX v6 4motion I bought this car when it had 110,000 miles on it. Sounds crazy, but I bought it for 5k. The carfax showed that the previous owner had already taken care of the major maintenance stuff that starts popping up at around 80k. I can imagine, if I had owned the car during that time period I would have thought it was the worst car in the world. But I didn't. All I had to do was normal maintenance stuff. I brought it up to 210k miles and was still driving like new. So fun around corners and handled snow really well. Until... I was going to school and the street was flooded. Yaris and cruze made it through, Passat died. I really will miss this car.

an absolutely solid car, without a new car replacement
By topagentgroup on 11/11/12 10:04 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car with about 20000 miles at less than a year old for $15500. I'm at 138000 with a private party value of $4500, it's been going up in value the past 3 years! An absolute joy to drive with the 4 cyl turbo and 34mpg. It seems to be a timeless styling blck/blck shines nicely. Synthetic only!! can't stress that enough and use the VW coolant. everyday garages will mess this car up like a bad hangover. I found an old VW specialized mechanic, won't let any other cars in the garage and has kept it running well for reasonable $. Replaced, timing belt/water pump at 80k, both frnt window regulators, 3 sets of tires/brakes, 2CV joints, 1 set of rotors,fuel pump at 136k due to ethanol

Update from 2010
By rilezz13 on 07/26/12 13:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

First let me say, I have NO complaints about the 1.8 Turbo 4-cylinder engine. It has been a wonderful, reliable, engine. I have always used synthetic oil and its just been great. My only nitpicking would be that it "sounds" like a 4-cylinder when idling (sewing machine?). Next: The Aisin automatic transmission. WOW!. About a year ago, the car (long story short) got bottomed out and the transmission got slammed into the road. I didn't think anything of it as it continued to work fine. When I took it for servicing much later on, the mechanic discovered that the transmission casing was cracked and like half of the fluid was gone! The transmission still worked fine! (but i did replace it).

190k and still hauling!
By mrspeedster on 04/05/12 07:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I do not know why so many people have had bad luck with this car. bought it at just under 100k miles, put on about 85k in the past 4 years (i drive alot of cross country for my work). Made sure to do a carfax and got it checked by my mech before i signed anything. In my case, the car was religiously taken in for maintenance every 4k miles to a VW dealer (one owner). Seems that the previous owner took care of the major "quwerks" the car had (water pump, cv, alt, vacuum hoses, fuel pump) since i bought it: tires (x1), brakes (x1), oil change (x5), injector service (x1), o2 sens (x1) the only thing annoying is that the dash just started showing 50% brightness, and heated seat went out, eh.

Its like a beautiful woman :) HIGH MAINTENANCE
By lovetodrive1 on 03/17/12 17:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my passat's looks but sadly it ends there :( It drives like a dream when it is not in the shop. If I can say one thing it would be to find a mechanic who knows something about a VW. That has really been my problem. It has been one expensive thing after another but I am hoping now that I have got all the bugs out it will take me on down the road. I did find a good mechanic finally but seriously this thing has had issues at only 80K that cars with 200K don't even see. Motor mounts, oil pressure problems, AC problems, I have replaced every single hose on the thing some even twice and I keep up on the service faithfully. There is a reason rich people own these cars!

If you know how to work on car, this is for you
By saneesh8 on 02/14/12 08:47 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Initially by spending all the money on repairs at stealership, i thought it is bad car. But once i started doing by my own with help from www.passatworld.com, not expensive. Or get information from the above website and find a trusted cheap mechanic. If you follow the simple rules like 40W full synthetic oil every 5k, change ATF at every 60K (Castrol import ATF is fine - from AZ) clean combi valve once in 2 yr, will run longer than a Toyota or Honda. Once you cross 100k, gaskets, hoses, Fuel filter and Timing belt (at 80K). Overall reliable car, decent MPG and most importantly safe. Premium fuel is bad side and don't need to use OEM expensive parts. My car close to 100k going strong..

Good Review for Great Car!
By carguy133 on 03/07/11 19:27 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car is great. Exceptional handling, acceleration and design. 4motion system is great in all weather, especially in my town where salt is not used and the roads become solid ice and snow from December until late March. About 110k miles, full synthetic oil and the engine (not exaggerating) sounds new. Only problems (as with all cars) AC leaks because I neglected to turn it on enough and tiny beginning of rust on one fender, but will be covered by 12 year rust warranty. Other than that zero mechanical problems, which may surprise some. I don't baby the car at all, but stay on top of it very well (oil, filters, etc.). Honestly, take care of this machine and it will take care of you.

I got this back in high school...
By rilezz13 on 12/22/10 09:58 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I got my black Passat when I was a sophomore in high school. The thing I love most about VWs is the German prestige that comes with the car. Theres something about the way European cars carry themselves as they sail down the highway. I previously owned a 2000 VW Jetta that I absolutly loved. The Passat is technically a superior car, but I think I'll buy another Jetta in the future. If you are thinking of buying one with the turbocharged engine, you MUST MUST use fully synthetic oil and change it every 3 thousand miles.

Love my Passat 8 years later
By Don on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was and still is my first VW. I love the way it handles, even now at 133000 miles on the odo. Original clutch. Only issues were with ignition coils and radio(replaced under warranty years ago) and a power window regulator (last week). Last week, VW also replaced the trunk lid and remote trunk release -- there was a rust spot at one of the license plate lights and this moisture had caused the trunk release to malfunction. My dealer experience has always been excellent. Sure you pay more than for an independent, but the guys at Hunt Club VW (Ottawa Canada)understand the value of customer service. My next car will be a VW.

Life Long Vdub owner
By Blake W. on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Ok read up... This is the only review you need to read on this car. If you can live with a few little glitches and dont need your car fixed every time there is a slight shimmy, shake, creek, etc. (other wise you will pay a lot to keep this car running as if brand new like you would for ANY OTHER car), then this is the best car for the money... period. This car is a tank, I beat it hard every day and have put 110k on in just over 3 years. Ive put a few thousand into repairs but who cares. Its fun to drive, I will get it to about 210k and get a new passat. Ive changed oil every 10k (synthetic only) 91 oct MIN! Great in the snow, rain, in 100 degrees or 30 below. Dont be silly with fixes