Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Surprisingly a good little car
By gashley2

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Owned a 2003 Skoda Octavia in Germany was a fun car. Bought the closes thing to it in the US. the 1.8L is fun and great on MPG! I get better mileage then the EPA rating best i got was 40MPG on a road trip! Passat has great styling i think and rides nice really luxurious for what it is. Previous owner did all the differed maintenance cv axels, fuel pump, valve cover gaskets, heater core, timing belt, water pump etc... Currently has 180,000 mile on it and I really like the car, I will drive the wheels off of this car! Great on snow with regular tires. Only thing wrong is the trans makes a LOUD slam noise when downshifts when exiting the interstate, when that goes Ill buy something else.

GREAT GAS MILEAGE!!!! Very comfortable on trips. Heated seats are great in the winter. If you do your own maintenance it doesnt cost any more then a toyota. You Tube is your best friend while owning a foreign car. 9.5 times out of 10 you aren't the only person having a particular car problem, do your research. Great styling and european sport handling is a plus. Lots of room inside even in the rear, very comfortable

The little peripheral cheap plastic things inside the car are a little unsettling. The plastic things in the car have a rubberized coating on them that begin to peel everywhere you touch over time. Looses its value pretty quick when miles get high. My car is worth about the same price it costs for a new set of tires for it. Puts you in a predicament when you need a whole new set of tires and they cost the same price your car is worth, depreciation is ridiculous on these VW's. Transmission is cause for concern with the hard downshifting. Auto transmissions are a pretty pricy item on any car let alone on a VW.

Well... Just don't drive it into water
By durasara

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

First of all. I got the GLX v6 4motion I bought this car when it had 110,000 miles on it. Sounds crazy, but I bought it for 5k. The carfax showed that the previous owner had already taken care of the major maintenance stuff that starts popping up at around 80k. I can imagine, if I had owned the car during that time period I would have thought it was the worst car in the world. But I didn't. All I had to do was normal maintenance stuff. I brought it up to 210k miles and was still driving like new. So fun around corners and handled snow really well. Until... I was going to school and the street was flooded. Yaris and cruze made it through, Passat died. I really will miss this car.

Handling was great, and was always really smooth on the road, but had a firm feel to it at the same time. It's not jaguar or caddy smooth, but smooth none the less. The interior lighting is, bar none, beautiful. The leather is nice and plush, and handled spills well. I did haul with it on occasion to bring a couple jetskis out, and yeah, highway milage dropped to about 16, but it didn't sag the rear end much, and these are 1500lb jetskis. You can just feel the build quality in everything. That's what I loved the most.

I would say a better stereo. The stock stereo is just OK, which is why I replaced it with some infiniti speakers and a small sub. The monsoon amp is more than enough, in fact overpowering. Even with stock speakers it filled the parking lot with sound. The front of the car needs to be just a couple inches higher. There were countless times when I thought I could park up to the curb and ended up tearing off the front fender. It's an easy fix, few allen keys at the grill to take it off and slide it back on, but it was annoying. The v6 motor I felt wasn't enough, it was ok, but a little more umph I thought was needed. Also 21 avg mpg for a 200-ish hp motor is a little low. But it is heavy.

an absolutely solid car, without a new car replacement
By topagentgroup

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car with about 20000 miles at less than a year old for $15500. I'm at 138000 with a private party value of $4500, it's been going up in value the past 3 years! An absolute joy to drive with the 4 cyl turbo and 34mpg. It seems to be a timeless styling blck/blck shines nicely. Synthetic only!! can't stress that enough and use the VW coolant. everyday garages will mess this car up like a bad hangover. I found an old VW specialized mechanic, won't let any other cars in the garage and has kept it running well for reasonable $. Replaced, timing belt/water pump at 80k, both frnt window regulators, 3 sets of tires/brakes, 2CV joints, 1 set of rotors,fuel pump at 136k due to ethanol

nite time lights, the engine and transmission strong and percise. cruising at 80mph I step on the gas for a Turbo shot to a quick 100mph - The engine protect sensors to stop! stop! if oil pressure is low, coolant low and the aluminum engine/ valvale are in danger of melt down. Timeless styling, has it's getting older now but can run with the new dogs with gas mpg, performance and overall features; sunroof, heated leather, Tiptronic and 4 cyl Turbo- it's underestimated in the parking lot and on the highway everyday

lower grill pieces were held with plastic clips, I siliconed them in place. the heater core is sooo sensitive to no VW coolant, clogged twice and had CLR pumped through to clear buildup $40 vs $1200 core/radiator replacement at dealer, sunroof drain prone to clog, strange coolant hose beside Turbo has a 90 degree bend and a heat sheild; blew it out at 135k should replace as maint item- check engine lite comes on for brake dust build up- this car is a tank, but not for the cheap gas and go type- it takes a skilled mechanic, 93 octane and full synthetic oil to give back performance. I do carry AAA plus, had it tow twice as not to damage anything else when fule pump died & coolant hose blew

Update from 2010
By rilezz13

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

First let me say, I have NO complaints about the 1.8 Turbo 4-cylinder engine. It has been a wonderful, reliable, engine. I have always used synthetic oil and its just been great. My only nitpicking would be that it "sounds" like a 4-cylinder when idling (sewing machine?). Next: The Aisin automatic transmission. WOW!. About a year ago, the car (long story short) got bottomed out and the transmission got slammed into the road. I didn't think anything of it as it continued to work fine. When I took it for servicing much later on, the mechanic discovered that the transmission casing was cracked and like half of the fluid was gone! The transmission still worked fine! (but i did replace it).

Obviously based on what I said above, the car's most vital components (the engine and transmission) are VERY TOUGH. The mechanic that discovered my war-torn transmission was very impressed that it still worked fine. I really love the interior of this car. Even in older age, she still draws "nice car" compliments when people slide into the black leather seats. The gauge cluster is gorgeous at night (indigo blues and nice red) and every, and I mean every, button and symbol is lighted at night. The gauge cluster still rivals any brand new car's. All in all, its that German build quality and attention to detail that drew me to this car and that's the reason I still love her.

When I heard that the 2012 Passat won car of the year, I felt like a proud parent. I really did. I've had the typical maintenance annoyances such as the timing belt and one of the CV joints. Also, the engine is very, very small when you think about it. It's a 1.8 liter. With that said, in its older age I think she's still a pretty refined old girl. I see these things for sale at dealerships still looking like new! They are well built, they don't "feel" old when compared to the new cars. The design, features, driving dynamics, etc all feels as up to date as anything. I recently had a brand new Dodge Charger rental car and 100% think my 110,000 mile Passat drove nicer and felt more sturdy.

190k and still hauling!
By mrspeedster

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I do not know why so many people have had bad luck with this car. bought it at just under 100k miles, put on about 85k in the past 4 years (i drive alot of cross country for my work). Made sure to do a carfax and got it checked by my mech before i signed anything. In my case, the car was religiously taken in for maintenance every 4k miles to a VW dealer (one owner). Seems that the previous owner took care of the major "quwerks" the car had (water pump, cv, alt, vacuum hoses, fuel pump) since i bought it: tires (x1), brakes (x1), oil change (x5), injector service (x1), o2 sens (x1) the only thing annoying is that the dash just started showing 50% brightness, and heated seat went out, eh.

my BF loves it <3 leather looks almost new - a few cracks on the wheel and the driver seat, that's it. the body looks like new, too. I make sure to give it a wax and buff semiannually as i have done with all my cars. keeps it pretty :) I haul a jetski alot in the summer (probably 500lbs, 200 on the hitch) and can't even tell something's behind me... til i look at the mpg readout that is. the motor sounds so mean at full throttle, but near silent when cruising. i use the manual knob from time to time, nice to see one that actually obeys you. put 2 10" 1000 watt CerwinVega subs in the trunk, can't even hear them outside the car till you're at 50% volume, which is heart pounding inside

Don't go to the VW dealer, a local shop can do a way better job, provide way better service, at a way better price. something i learned when I needed the o2 sensor and injector service done, and what you can do yourself (oil change, brakes, etc.) do. labor for VW's are higher wherever you go, also true for my sister in law's bug, and my father in law's tureg. if you are going through "querks" my suggestion is just to keep going. they may slow down after the 100k point as they did in my case. (or, when you replace everything that there is to replace, lol)