Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Well... Just don't drive it into water
By durasara

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

First of all. I got the GLX v6 4motion I bought this car when it had 110,000 miles on it. Sounds crazy, but I bought it for 5k. The carfax showed that the previous owner had already taken care of the major maintenance stuff that starts popping up at around 80k. I can imagine, if I had owned the car during that time period I would have thought it was the worst car in the world. But I didn't. All I had to do was normal maintenance stuff. I brought it up to 210k miles and was still driving like new. So fun around corners and handled snow really well. Until... I was going to school and the street was flooded. Yaris and cruze made it through, Passat died. I really will miss this car.

Handling was great, and was always really smooth on the road, but had a firm feel to it at the same time. It's not jaguar or caddy smooth, but smooth none the less. The interior lighting is, bar none, beautiful. The leather is nice and plush, and handled spills well. I did haul with it on occasion to bring a couple jetskis out, and yeah, highway milage dropped to about 16, but it didn't sag the rear end much, and these are 1500lb jetskis. You can just feel the build quality in everything. That's what I loved the most.

I would say a better stereo. The stock stereo is just OK, which is why I replaced it with some infiniti speakers and a small sub. The monsoon amp is more than enough, in fact overpowering. Even with stock speakers it filled the parking lot with sound. The front of the car needs to be just a couple inches higher. There were countless times when I thought I could park up to the curb and ended up tearing off the front fender. It's an easy fix, few allen keys at the grill to take it off and slide it back on, but it was annoying. The v6 motor I felt wasn't enough, it was ok, but a little more umph I thought was needed. Also 21 avg mpg for a 200-ish hp motor is a little low. But it is heavy.

Good Review for Great Car!
By carguy133

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car is great. Exceptional handling, acceleration and design. 4motion system is great in all weather, especially in my town where salt is not used and the roads become solid ice and snow from December until late March. About 110k miles, full synthetic oil and the engine (not exaggerating) sounds new. Only problems (as with all cars) AC leaks because I neglected to turn it on enough and tiny beginning of rust on one fender, but will be covered by 12 year rust warranty. Other than that zero mechanical problems, which may surprise some. I don't baby the car at all, but stay on top of it very well (oil, filters, etc.). Honestly, take care of this machine and it will take care of you.

Favorite features: very smooth V6, 4motion, auto climate control, Monsoon sound, Tiptronic (although manual would be nice), very warm heated seats (5 settings). This car is all around a great machine.

Few improvements: a low setting for wipers would be nice (now only auto, med, high), better placement for climate control buttons, bigger fog lights (more effective), folding rear seats (not available in 4motion- electronics maybe?), 2.8 turbo? could be nice... Other than that, no complaints

I love my Passat
By LOVE MY PASSAT!!!

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love my Passat. I've had it a little over 2 years and no problem what so ever. Maintenance is the key, Keep it up and the car will live forever!

The Gas Mileage does stink a little!!!

Run away!
By Cheesehead in TX

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Well, this was an experiment in "Premium German Engineering" that will never be repeated in my life. This is the absolute worst of the 20 cars I have owned in my lifetime. Cannot even remember all the broken things in only 8 months- catalytic converters, brakes, oil leaks, coolant leaks, broken power seats, inferior leather seats. And scheduled maintenance! What a joke- $2k for brake work, $2300 for cats, $1500 for timing belt + getting rid of PLASTIC water pump. Run away, do not even consider one of these used. If you have to have a VW, but it new and sell it before it's 4 years old. Period.

4 wheel drive did take the edge off of driving in snow/ice.

Build a vehicle that lasts more than 4 years without NASA levels of preventative maintenance and repairs.

Passat - don't own without a warranty
By Sam70

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The car is great while under warranty. At about 80k the cars starts to need maintenance and is expensive to repair. If you have this car buy an extended warranty

better long term quality