2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Well... Just don't drive it into water
By durasara on 08/19/13 23:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

First of all. I got the GLX v6 4motion I bought this car when it had 110,000 miles on it. Sounds crazy, but I bought it for 5k. The carfax showed that the previous owner had already taken care of the major maintenance stuff that starts popping up at around 80k. I can imagine, if I had owned the car during that time period I would have thought it was the worst car in the world. But I didn't. All I had to do was normal maintenance stuff. I brought it up to 210k miles and was still driving like new. So fun around corners and handled snow really well. Until... I was going to school and the street was flooded. Yaris and cruze made it through, Passat died. I really will miss this car.

Good Review for Great Car!
By carguy133 on 03/07/11 19:27 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car is great. Exceptional handling, acceleration and design. 4motion system is great in all weather, especially in my town where salt is not used and the roads become solid ice and snow from December until late March. About 110k miles, full synthetic oil and the engine (not exaggerating) sounds new. Only problems (as with all cars) AC leaks because I neglected to turn it on enough and tiny beginning of rust on one fender, but will be covered by 12 year rust warranty. Other than that zero mechanical problems, which may surprise some. I don't baby the car at all, but stay on top of it very well (oil, filters, etc.). Honestly, take care of this machine and it will take care of you.

I love my Passat
By LOVE MY PASSAT!!! on 05/22/09 06:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love my Passat. I've had it a little over 2 years and no problem what so ever. Maintenance is the key, Keep it up and the car will live forever!

Run away!
By Cheesehead in TX on 11/24/08 13:58 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Well, this was an experiment in "Premium German Engineering" that will never be repeated in my life. This is the absolute worst of the 20 cars I have owned in my lifetime. Cannot even remember all the broken things in only 8 months- catalytic converters, brakes, oil leaks, coolant leaks, broken power seats, inferior leather seats. And scheduled maintenance! What a joke- $2k for brake work, $2300 for cats, $1500 for timing belt + getting rid of PLASTIC water pump. Run away, do not even consider one of these used. If you have to have a VW, but it new and sell it before it's 4 years old. Period.

Passat - don't own without a warranty
By Sam70 on 01/26/08 15:24 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The car is great while under warranty. At about 80k the cars starts to need maintenance and is expensive to repair. If you have this car buy an extended warranty

My friends call it a space shuttle!
By Moses on 06/02/06 15:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

We just traded in my old and tired 98 Olds Cutlass. After my experience with my Cutlass, I swore never to drive anything American (not that I'm not Patriotic, but Detroit needs some overhaul). I was thinking of going Japanese but then the Passat got my attention and I do not regret my decision. This car is impressive. Its build quality is top notch. The stuff that you pay extra for in other cars (including BMW) come standard in this car plus much more. The engine's power is adequate but is not as athletic as my other car, a 2000 Maxima SE. Part of that could be from the Passat's porky 3,800 lbs. curb weight. But then the Maxima isn't loaded with as many safety features and AWD as the Passat. Go buy one!

Unreliable
By KJM on 05/24/06 10:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my first new car ever four years ago hoping to get away from car problems for at least five years and went with the Consumer Reports car of the year. I bought the most expensive Passat wagon with the all wheel drive, and paid for it almost entirely out of my pocket. Since then I have have had several problems with it. Most recently the computer died costing about $2,000. The garage made me wait a week to bring it in. They are the rudest garage ever. They make almost no effort to appese the customer. The last problem I had with really squeaky brakes and they told me it was normal and that bus sdqueked too. I will never buy another Passat.

I'm Very Impressed
By Robert Clarke on 02/14/06 00:46 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fifth VW / Audi and I could not be happier. I bought it with used 42,000 miles on it and so far it has been great. Its build quality is excellent, power is fine, and the ride is quiet and comfortable. I have put 3,000 miles on it so far and I average 18 mpg in town and 24 highway. That is not great, but that is what you get with AWD, and I knew that going in. I tried premium gas and I didn't notice a difference so I have been using midgrade. It came with the VW Certified Pre-Owned Warranty so I don't have to worry about anything for two years or 24,000 miles.

Very unreliable - Unreliable Warranty
By Eva on 07/22/05 09:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Since I have had my Passat, it has needed so much attention. I have had to get the check engine light fixed 3 times, the brakes adjusted, the steering needed to be fixed and now, my horn doesn't work. My horn has been failing for about 5,000 miles, but initially is would only go out and then come back on. The dealership couldn't address it, because they were unable to recreate the problem. Now at 54,000 miles, I took it back to the dealership, since the horn failed totally, and they need to replace the ENTIRE steering whell (at a mere cost of $850). Not covered under warranty! Even though, the issue was brought up while still under warranty!!

GREAT CAR
By ATAYLOR61822 on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

SMOOTH, SOLID, SAFE, FUN TO DRIVE, WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR? THIS IS THE ONLY CAR I'VE FELT COMFORTABLE IN AT 120MPH